• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Is MACO V/58 OMNI DIRECTIONAL CB ANTENNA Any good

first of all what kind of coax are you running?second 238 inches is perfect for the middle of cb band!third the tap point is the major tuning adjustment for this antenna.and last make sure the radiator has not slid down to close or touching that nut and bolt holding the pl-259 connector.

Sorry but I have no idea what a radiator is. Not sure the coax its grey. I can check the coax tommorrow. also is the tap point the adjuster on the ring? my swr is just below 2 on the dosy. So its working, But I want to get it right when I get my tripod and fence post to raise it further :) Where the pl259 connects to the connector and on to the antenna L bracket, if I tighten the connector too tight the darn top nut comes loose (guessing its stripped at the top nut, or the threads on top)

Last edited:
Sorry but I have no idea what a radiator is. Not sure the coax its grey. I can check the coax tommorrow. also is the tap point the adjuster on the ring? my swr is just below 2 on the dosy. So its working, But I want to get it right when I get my tripod and fence post to raise it further :) Where the pl259 connects to the connector and on to the antenna L bracket, if I tighten the connector too tight the darn top nut comes loose (guessing its stripped at the top nut, or the threads on top)
ok the radiator is the whip vertical,the grey coax is probably rg-8 or rg-58 mini foam,and yes the adjuster on the ring is called the tap point and the connector usually has rivets on each side.i drilled mine out and put small nuts and bolts through them.also if you have a soldering iron you could swap the braid out with some 10/12 gauge copper wire with coating on it and solder a new connecter on it,if not no biggie.the nut and bolt i was speaking of is where the l bracket hooks to the antenna,make sure thats not close to or touching the antennas radiator.and a rag with some metal polish to all the elements where they connect makes a difference.i also put a rubber boot over the top of my connector as these antennas swr changes like crazy in the rain or even some electrical tape would work to.let me know how you make out good luck.

ok the radiator is the whip vertical,the grey coax is probably rg-8 or rg-58 mini foam,and yes the adjuster on the ring is called the tap point and the connector usually has rivets on each side.i drilled mine out and put small nuts and bolts through them.also if you have a soldering iron you could swap the braid out with some 10/12 gauge copper wire with coating on it and solder a new connecter on it,if not no biggie.the nut and bolt i was speaking of is where the l bracket hooks to the antenna,make sure thats not close to or touching the antennas radiator.and a rag with some metal polish to all the elements where they connect makes a difference.i also put a rubber boot over the top of my connector as these antennas swr changes like crazy in the rain or even some electrical tape would work to.let me know how you make out good luck.

I was wondering if you could do that or if it would make the swr worse. Isnt that wire what makes the power difference from the v500? I have a old connector from the back of a cb and I was going to replace the connector on the antenna with that and use copper wire LOL.. I have soldering skills just wasnt sure. Someone must have drilled mine out too becayse there is no rivits bolts and nuts. The manual says to put the connector 6 and some odd inches that that ring adjustment makes little effect on the swr LMao! but this is good info.. I am definatly going to swap that connector out one good tug and its gonna come right out which makes the ground on the whole thing bad Will post results next time I am up there upgrading the mast pole .Thanks for the awsome info

Also does the length of new wire matter? I was wondering would I make it same length or will it matter?

Cool.. Says not reccomended to change the end or the wire. So I am guessing it would be indeed experimental. Thanks for the insight. Wow at the swr I am at ppl say its good, i could only imagine what it'll do at a perfect swr

I was wondering if you could do that or if it would make the swr worse. Isnt that wire what makes the power difference from the v500? I have a old connector from the back of a cb and I was going to replace the connector on the antenna with that and use copper wire LOL.. I have soldering skills just wasnt sure. Someone must have drilled mine out too becayse there is no rivits bolts and nuts. The manual says to put the connector 6 and some odd inches that that ring adjustment makes little effect on the swr LMao! but this is good info.. I am definatly going to swap that connector out one good tug and its gonna come right out which makes the ground on the whole thing bad Will post results next time I am up there upgrading the mast pole .Thanks for the awsome info

Also does the length of new wire matter? I was wondering would I make it same length or will it matter?
make it about the same or an inch or two longer!

not true the tap point is critical,not the length.i have pictures and info on some of my experiments with a maco 5/8 i will tryto bring them back up so you can read it and i have pictures to.

dont get caught up in a perfect vswr . anything 1.5 and less is just fine even with an amp . if you can get there youre fine , if you can get lower it wont make any difference in you tx or rx or in your equipments longevity if youre using decent equipment . just enjoy the warm fuzzy feeling and the bragging rights . LOL

not true the tap point is critical,not the length.i have pictures and info on some of my experiments with a maco 5/8 i will tryto bring them back up so you can read it and i have pictures to.

Cool.. So would changing that connector and using wire like you described make it better especially given my circumstances?

Cool.. So would changing that connector and using wire like you described make it better especially given my circumstances?
yes tap point is critical,dont beleive what you her i had this antenna for three years and i just brought the article back up maco 5/8 to .64 wave look for it its at the top.i dont know if you ever owned 1 of these booty but unless you have and if you have i dont know if you know what your talking about.i have had this antenna up and down 50 times and i think i know what works it seems like you are fighting me on this but i hope i am wrong .

dont get caught up in a perfect vswr . anything 1.5 and less is just fine even with an amp . if you can get there youre fine , if you can get lower it wont make any difference in you tx or rx or in your equipments longevity if youre using decent equipment . just enjoy the warm fuzzy feeling and the bragging rights . LOL

<he goes to the cb>
My readings currently are near perfect. The needle barly moves and doesnt go past 1.5 on the dosy. I am not sure if the rain has something to do with it but wow! Again this is barefoot. Dont have another patch cord handy so this is with the 142 base barefoot... The readings on the radio are off... But the dosy I am not sure how to read it before 1.. but likewise channels 1, 19, 20 and 40 the needle barely moves.. whearas the day i installed it it was around 2

I will have to recheck this when the rain stop...Hmmm Got me going

yes it could have been rain where this antenna shows its faults is when it rains other than that it is a good performer.

yes it could have been rain where this antenna shows its faults is when it rains other than that it is a good performer.

Yea I know my length isnt perfect (moreso closest guess) but I did spend alot of time measuring that darn ring, because although the manual and net says its doesnt make much difference, It also says it doesnt make a difference if the swr is near same on all channels.. Meaning if its high on one and low on another it would.. So this is what i;ve got @ this moment.. Will be posting back.. done started something... I want bragging rights! Love it they call my cobra a starter radio.. I say Duh I am a beginner... and you like that its getting out loud and proud Lmao!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.