• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Is MACO V/58 OMNI DIRECTIONAL CB ANTENNA Any good

Simbalage22

Jul 8, 2010
Detroit MI
Is the MACO V/58 OMNI DIRECTIONAL CB ANTENNA any good? Worth 70.00 used? Someone is selling one locally and being I have this 2 meter aluminum that appearently cannot be used to cd (11 meter I believe) then I am in the market to purchasing a decent antenna for base. I Have a Fire Stik II for the car and a texas star 250 High drive.. Considering that omi above for base.. good purchase?

Yes, they are very good antennas. 70 bucks for a used one sounds a little high to me, but if it is in near new condition, then maybe that is a good price.

I have one for about 10 years now and like it very much. 70 is a bit steep for a used one though unless like Highlander said it is like new.

I have one for about 10 years now and like it very much. 70 is a bit steep for a used one though unless like Highlander said it is like new.

I got it for 60.00. It looks like new, but the ring feels weak and there is a hole in it... Not sure if that punched hole is supposed to go in there.. Second antenna and now I see why their on creigslist!! But this one came with the groundplane.. I bought a 2 meter (see thread) and Found out it wont work so I am going to attach that metal pole to it to make this higher :) can you order the ring for this antenna? Looks like a washer would help support it..but would that throw off the swr?

WOW! made it home just in time for this storm! Bad here in michigan... Holding the poles as they hang out the window on a long trip, That'd be silly to have lightnig stick them holding them while I was driving to keep them in the car Lmao!

Is the MACO V/58 OMNI DIRECTIONAL CB ANTENNA any good? Worth 70.00 used? Someone is selling one locally and being I have this 2 meter aluminum that appearently cannot be used to cd (11 meter I believe) then I am in the market to purchasing a decent antenna for base. I Have a Fire Stik II for the car and a texas star 250 High drive.. Considering that omi above for base.. good purchase?

my only question is why was ya trying a 2 meter antenna on a 11 meter radio
the maco is a great antenna.quite possibibey the best

Newbie on cb

my only question is why was ya trying a 2 meter antenna on a 11 meter radio
the maco is a great antenna.quite possibibey the best

Cool. Well the reason was I got it about a year ago, and while I knew it was told to me it was for ham, They told me ham antenna's could generally be used for cb as well. So I got it and after getting sick of seeing it laying around, I picked up on the hobbie. Mind you the only piece of equipment I owned was a 510XL mobile and the 2 meter antenna.. I Got into the hobbie and started out purchasing the coax, ends ect... And the bill went up quite quickly. Then I got a 142gtl and had no mic so All expenses kept adding up and I still to date dont have a working base setup.. Being new to cb I didnt know lol. Figured they all are poles and it could be converted to work.. Any how.. Here are the picures.. I've sent them to the guy who sold it to me without response back. I do however believe he honestly didnt know. I connected it outside just freestanding in the yard.. without the longer groundrails and the swr was like 1.5 which seems good and it gets out, so hopefully this wont make a difference.. But on this model the antenna's aluminum ring is flimbsy and cheap anyways so when It does go.. Hopefully the new ones didnt skimp on the aluminum !

Attachments

• DSCF2075.JPG
    DSCF2075.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 9
  • DSCF2077.JPG
    DSCF2077.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 3
  • DSCF2076.JPG
    DSCF2076.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 5
From the looks of it, I really don't think you have any significant problem with that hole. If it bothers you, just tape over it.
If it seems to be working when it's just propped up in the yard, it should work even better if you can get it up higher. That will also mean that the SWR will change a bit. Maybe not enough to make any difference, but it will change so get ready for it. It just means it'll have to be re-tuned, which is normal.
- 'Doc

They are indeed Great antennas..
I am un-sure of what is a good or fair deal on them though...sounds like you did well with it though..

HotRod is wrong...it is not the best....

you would have to go to the Interceptor I-10K
(but costs a whole lot more...so not to worry.....dollar to dollar you did Excellent )

Cool. Well the reason was I got it about a year ago, and while I knew it was told to me it was for ham, They told me ham antenna's could generally be used for cb as well. So I got it and after getting sick of seeing it laying around, I picked up on the hobbie. Mind you the only piece of equipment I owned was a 510XL mobile and the 2 meter antenna.. I Got into the hobbie and started out purchasing the coax, ends ect... And the bill went up quite quickly. Then I got a 142gtl and had no mic so All expenses kept adding up and I still to date dont have a working base setup.. Being new to cb I didnt know lol. Figured they all are poles and it could be converted to work.. Any how.. Here are the picures.. I've sent them to the guy who sold it to me without response back. I do however believe he honestly didnt know. I connected it outside just freestanding in the yard.. without the longer groundrails and the swr was like 1.5 which seems good and it gets out, so hopefully this wont make a difference.. But on this model the antenna's aluminum ring is flimbsy and cheap anyways so when It does go.. Hopefully the new ones didnt skimp on the aluminum !

if you dont have the ground plane elements that go on those four nubs on the bottom of the antenna DXengineering will carry them . ive delt with them and they ship very fast .

Aluminum Tubing

I use a V5000 for 10m band. Basically a V58, except beefier. Prior to raising it to full height and upgrading to better coax, I managed to work St. Petersburg, Florida (890 miles) on 130w (only about 50w reached the antenna, I was using cruddy coax).

Whereabouts are you located in Michigan?

-Richard-

I'M OLD!!!

I use a V5000 for 10m band. Basically a V58, except beefier. Prior to raising it to full height and upgrading to better coax, I managed to work St. Petersburg, Florida (890 miles) on 130w (only about 50w reached the antenna, I was using cruddy coax).

Whereabouts are you located in Michigan?

-Richard-

Detroit!! (yea It sucks, but getting disabled I lost my home in sterling Heights, And Career) But Yea, we just got it up.. Couldnt wait any longer.. Swr of over 3. Good grey coax! Will take pics in the morning, and if anyone knows how to bring it down feel free to share.. Thank god for having a healthy wife.. My wife said getting into the hobbie at my age is normal that her dad had a cb.. I'm like wtf you mean.. I aint old! just disabled! She said your almost 30!!! Gosh How mind blowing.. See I had no childhood, and waited till marriage to "loose it" so as you can see this is like someone telling you gold you have is fake!!! Anyways back to the antenna.. I am reading this manual (Thanks to poster) and cannot for the life of me understand! Does this mean we have to take that tanker down? also what are the chances of it getting struck by lightning? I ran 6GU wire from antenna to the cold water pipe in basement, the edison is no longer grounded there they had me run a ground rod dedicated for that, again I will post pics.. Not sure if the mounts will hold up either. (Chimney Rachet Strap)
Eitherway plz give positive feedback :)

PS: Was that via skipp or general? I'd like to use it for when I am out (mobile) to "phone home" ect.. NC is 600 miles from here... Now tha'd Be awsome if it'd reach wifes uncle which does both CB and HAM and uses a biggggggggggg linear on top of a mountain!

EDIT: Added pics of my "beginner station" and the swr reading with the Realistic mobile (30amp 12v Tenma not in pic)

Attachments

• CB-ANT 010.JPG
    CB-ANT 010.JPG
    211.4 KB · Views: 1
  • CB-ANT 018.JPG
    CB-ANT 018.JPG
    158.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.