• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Is resonance really where you get best antenna performance?

Now my big question and one of the most important ones, does this make a difference? Did it change my take off angle? Did it change my radiation lobes? Did it cancel unwanted currents? Did it increase the value of my s10?

Hell I dunno but it did make that s10 sexier

Reactions: tecnicoloco
View attachment 48402

Nice work!
Looks Like 12 turns of #14AWG correct?​

What was the SIZE of the dowel or drill bit to make the coil form?
It is #12 thhn. I used a piece of 500 mcm to wrap it. So a piece of 3/4 pvc would be about right. Started with 14 wraps and started clipping off a coil at a time till I went too far. Then wrapped another like it.

Tune for resonance, match feedpoint resistance with inductance or capacitance as needed. = efficient radiator. Way it is

in a 50 ohm system maximum radiation efficiency occurs when antenna (load) radiation resistance = 50 ohms and total loss resistance in the load = 0 ohms.

antenna radiation efficiency % = radiation resistance divided by radiation resistance + total loss resistance.

in a 50 ohm system resonance occurs when there is no inductive or capacitive reactance present at the antenna (load) feedpoint @ a given frequency

for frequency @ resonance, (X) reactance = 0..

Last edited:
It is #12 thhn. I used a piece of 500 mcm to wrap it. So a piece of 3/4 pvc would be about right. Started with 14 wraps and started clipping off a coil at a time till I went too far. Then wrapped another like it.

No matter what anyone else would say...that is a NICE JOB.

Thank you for that pic and the basics of the construction - speaks volumes and hopefully will help many many more in the future.

Reactions: ForestRunner98
Now my big question and one of the most important ones, does this make a difference? Did it change my take off angle? Did it change my radiation lobes? Did it cancel unwanted currents? Did it increase the value of my s10?

Hell I dunno but it did make that s10 sexier

You took your nice 1/4 wave and matched it to your 50 ohm coax and gave the radio the 50 ohm load it was looking for.
Good job.
Every time someone asks a question about installing a SS whip on a mobile , that picture should be part of the answer.

Jeff

Last edited:
Reactions: Handy Andy
So the threads popped on that antenna. Ice put another one up and didnt tighten it so much. Anyway today I'll start fresh. I'll record the antenna as I make changes.

First I'll go for x=0
Second I'll match 50ohm
Third I'll see what swr is at.

According to what I've read here, if I get 1 and 2 right that should be all you need. I'll try it and see.

Reactions: Handy Andy
Now what? Change impedance, it throws out the resonance. Keep resonance cant adjust swr.

Attachments

• 20211120_134937.jpg
    20211120_134937.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 21
Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.