• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

is the galaxy 949 illegal

not sure but doesnt 949 have a roger beep? i heard that roger beeps were ilegal .if so maybe 949s are ilegal.

no rodger beeps are legal. best way to tell a legal galaxy from a export is
EVERY galaxy export has a band selector round knob.
a fcc type cb galaxy doesnt cause it doesnt have the extra bands of channels

Yes... the 99V is totally illegal. The FCC has been cracking down on these so-called "10 meter" radios. This is why the Cobra 200 gtl DX went bye-bye. Its FCC approval was pulled. All this stuff is a "CB" hidden as a so called 10 meter radio, made for the illegal CB crowd. The FCC is now wise to this practice. Why Galaxy hasn't beenfined yet, is beyond me.

ALL commercially manufactured amateur rigs need Part 15 approval, and assigned the appropriate FCC ID.

No self-respecting ham would use any of that crap anyway!

Here is a list of prohibited radios:

QTH.COM: FCC information regarding Illegal CB Radios

If you click on the highlighted radio, you will get info on why the fcc added them to the list... some links are interesting, as they show FCC citations against vendors. Good stuff :)

The Galaxy DX-949 is a totally legal FCC type-accepted CB radio under Part 95 of FCC regulations. You can see the FCC ID on the back. They are good radios... I have one :)

Last edited:
ALL commercially manufactured amateur rigs need Part 15 approval, and assigned the appropriate FCC ID.
Here we go again.....

Transceivers used in the Amateur Radio Service below 30 MHz do not require FCC authorization prior to being imported into or marketed within the United States, but transceivers for other services, including the CB Radio Service (CB), do require Commission approval.

The Cobra 200 gtl-DX never was approved, it was sold as a ten meter radio, and as such did not need to be approved.
It was never intended to be sold in the US, but (most of them self destructed anyway) they got here just like every other export.

I know lots of Hams that run Ten meter radios.....on ten meters, oh and the 10/12 meter rigs, work great on 10/12 meters.

Here is a list of prohibited radios:

QTH.COM: FCC information regarding Illegal CB Radios

Bullpucky, that list was generated by a field agent.

Not as a CB>>>>>>>>> NOT as a CB >>>>>
Not Modified and sold as a CB>>>>>>

(If you missed it, it can not be modified and sold as a CB)

And that has been challenged in court, and they lost the last round.........
If you are a Ham, YOU can import one for yourself and use it were ever your license is good....so if you want to use it on ten, use it on ten, you want to use it on 12 use it on 12, or 15 if you can get it to go there, or use it as a exciter with a transverter for two meters, or anyplace else where you are licensed to operate.
We have a member here that Called the FCC and asked point blank if he could legally use a " EXPORT RADIO" on the ham bands, they called him back and said, yes, as long as you are using it where your licence permits you to.

Legal as Ice cream.
The HR2510/Hr2600 radios that are on the "banned list" were sold By AES and Ham radio outlet for years before Uniden stopped production.
The RCI 2950/2970 were sold by many amature equipment dealers, in fact, go read this:
http://www.rangerusa.com/pdf/2970qst2.pdf

Ranger Communications RCI-2970DX 10/12-Meter Transceiver Product Review & Short Takes Columns from QST Magazine
Done by Wayne Irwin, W1KI
Assistant to the ARRL VEC Manager From October 2001 QST © ARRL

Jeff

All the Galaxy radios are legal to sell if they are sold as manufactured. According to the FCC, any radio modified to work on CB, including ICOM, Kenwood, Yaesu, are illegal to sell, even to licensed Amateurs.

People who post that Galaxy radios are illegal may end up with a slander lawsuit, just like what happened to eBay.

Reactions: NorthStar
All the Galaxy radios are legal to sell if they are sold as manufactured.

There is a statement you can bank on, if anyone knows these radios and what there status is, Shioda knows.

Thank you.

How do you like your new radio so far?
Would love to see a review of it sometime.

Jeff

It is a fantastic radio with almost no noise from my Ranger pickup. The first production will be 100 watt I believe. Second version will be SSB and probably 4 watts. I think the first model will be here around Christmas.

I suppose I could research and quote more regs... but WHY?

I have a 949 and love it! It has everything I want in a CB. I made a good choice. Galaxy seems a quality product, and has designed them to be easily adjusted and provide the info.

I've heard some bad things, such as SSB drift... SWR warning coming on when no fault exists... On my 2011 manufactured unit, none of these faults exist. A 40 minute SSB QSO was rock solid on frequency. SWR warnings never have appeared. Circuit boards are clean with good solder points.

I understand Galaxy reps are on some forums, and I believe they address all flaws and improve their products.

Honestly, they hear what their customers have to say.

My apologies to anyone I may have upset....

I know where my business goes :) Galaxy :)

I suppose I could research and quote more regs... but WHY?

Why? To get the facts correct,,,,,,

Research?,,,,,, Please do so, you need to research it, because you have yet to post or quote any ACTUAL regulations.

What you have posted is a list at QTH that is NO LONGER on the FCC site (go ahead and try to find it there).

An FCC field agent ILLEGALLY created that list and had it put on the FCC website. QTH posted it in good faith since it was on the FCC web site.

When legal action was taken AGAINST the FCC, the list was removed. Go ahead and research both stories.

Now my feelings are Scott from QTH is, in my opinion, stuck on a high horse that he still believes those radios are illegal so he has not removed the list.

So now LAZY hams go to QTH and think they are quoting law instead of actually "RESEARCHING" the facts.

Now if you would like to contact the attorney that was involved in this mess the FCC created, contact Shioda, after all, he is that attorney.

An easy way to see this crap has been "cleared up", go to eBay and you will now see these radios are now able to be sold on eBay, know why? Guess who else had legal actions taken against them??

You can also buy a Palomar amp or similar all day long on eBay.

It is a fantastic radio with almost no noise from my Ranger pickup. The first production will be 100 watt I believe. Second version will be SSB and probably 4 watts. I think the first model will be here around Christmas.

I am looking forward to seeing it when it comes out, keep us posted if they decide to release any info, or perhaps a look at it.

Jeff

Why? To get the facts correct,,,,,,

Research?,,,,,, Please do so, you need to research it, because you have yet to post or quote any ACTUAL regulations.

What you have posted is a list at QTH that is NO LONGER on the FCC site (go ahead and try to find it there).

An FCC field agent ILLEGALLY created that list and had it put on the FCC website. QTH posted it in good faith since it was on the FCC web site.

My issue was the Part 15 approval for all commercially manufactured equipment. Every ham has seen new stuff that says "This equipment is not avalable, as it has not been FCC approved".

Example below:

Icom ID-31, Icom ID31 D-STAR HandiTalkie

NOW.. This is probably because it has a "scanning function" (which most new rigs I have bought reference "Part 15 scanning receiver" when I look up the FCC Id online) No scan function... this part of Part 15 not applicable (regarding reception of cell freqs, etc)

There are other criteria in amateur radios that the receive section must comply with FCC Part 15 rules.

Can you all see my confusion here? Obviously, I have been misled in some areas; but still confused in others.

My issue was the Part 15 approval for all commercially manufactured equipment. Every ham has seen new stuff that says "This equipment is not avalable, as it has not been FCC approved".

Example below:

Icom ID-31, Icom ID31 D-STAR HandiTalkie

NOW.. This is probably because it has a "scanning function" (which most new rigs I have bought reference "Part 15 scanning receiver" when I look up the FCC Id online) No scan function... this part of Part 15 not applicable (regarding reception of cell freqs, etc)

There are other criteria in amateur radios that the receive section must comply with FCC Part 15 rules.

Can you all see my confusion here? Obviously, I have been misled in some areas; but still confused in others.

Unfortunately I am confused by that part as well.

Either way, these radios are being sold in the USA and the FCC seems to be alright with it now, well maybe not alright but not targeting them either.

My very first contact when I got my general was with a RCI-2950DX on 10 meter to Japan from Chicago area only using the 25 watts the radio could do from the factory.

This is why the Cobra 200 gtl DX went bye-bye. Its FCC approval was pulled.

Here was me deludely thinking it was pulled because it was a heap of SHITE, As Jeff says they were somewhat prone to self destruction, a bit like hams who delude themselves they are somewhat "better" than cb'ers.

Really! can't help wondering how many stalker 9's,cobra 148 gtl dx's were converted and used on 10m by self respecting hams who knew just how good those mono band radios could be when tuned properly for 10m and some other ham bands with a bit more work.

Remember one thing, all those multiband hf and nowadays vhf/uhf sets are major compromises when compared to many single band radios designed for the purpose, especially when your too tight/miserable to fork out on the expensive optional narrow filters that would improve performance drastically, a small fact they forget to tell you in egotistical ham school.

People who post that Galaxy radios are illegal may end up with a slander lawsuit, just like what happened to eBay.

love it, pmsl its about time reality caught up with all the retards who shout their mouths off without any facts to back them up, a few more cases shioda, you'll be able to afford a decent "ham rig" and not one of those naughty but nice cb's, pmsl.

Here was me deludely thinking it was pulled because it was a heap of SHITE, As Jeff says they were somewhat prone to self destruction, a bit like hams who delude themselves they are somewhat "better" than cb'ers.

Really! can't help wondering how many stalker 9's,cobra 148 gtl dx's were converted and used on 10m by self respecting hams who knew just how good those mono band radios could be when tuned properly for 10m and some other ham bands with a bit more work.

Remember one thing, all those multiband hf and nowadays vhf/uhf sets are major compromises when compared to many single band radios designed for the purpose, especially when your too tight/miserable to fork out on the expensive optional narrow filters that would improve performance drastically, a small fact they forget to tell you in egotistical ham school.

Well, hell, I used a converted CB on 10 meters... not the best game in town but it works. And yes.... broke ass ham getting on 10 for $30 shipped.

Just confused at some of the "10 meter" radios out there:LOL: one of the AM/FM rigs out there *doesn't even cover the 29 mhz FM 10 meter allocation* :LOL:

Example: Galaxy DX 99V
Frequency Range 28.315 to 28.755 MHz

Proof... go here:
http://www.cbtricks.com/radios/galaxy/dx99v/graphics/om_dx99V.pdf

Where is the FM allocation?

Head scratching... yeah... we all KNOW manufacturers are provifing equipment to the illegal (cb) crowd... right... wink wink... nudge nudge.:mad:

Why I'm bringing all this up... How many hams have heard truck drivers on 10 meters. Many times in the cw/data portions.

Oh... kay..... enuf whinig.

AntiSquid Disclaimer: All information provided in my messages constitute *personal opinion* only, and may or may NOT constitute actual fact. As personal OPINIONS do not constitute libel, choke on that!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.