• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

is the galaxy 949 illegal

Unfortunately I am confused by that part as well.

Either way, these radios are being sold in the USA and the FCC seems to be alright with it now, well maybe not alright but not targeting them either.

My very first contact when I got my general was with a RCI-2950DX on 10 meter to Japan from Chicago area only using the 25 watts the radio could do from the factory.

Honestly, it is the fault of the FCC for not making their rules understood by everyone. So many fights have gone on because one person interprets regs different.

We all can quote regs forever, and interpret them as we see fit. 99.99% of the public cannot understand "legalese"... myself included.

BTW: that was one hell of a first 10m contact (y)

Channel Jumper
Wrote:
Now Part 97 says 2 things.

1. - that no radio designed and manufactured for use in the amateur radio service shall be easily modified to also operate on the 11 meter CB band.

2. - that no radio which has been modified for use on the 11 meters band - shall be legal for use in on 10 meters band.
Again, bullpucky.
You can modify anything you want and use it to talk on the Ten Meter band, as long as you hold a license that allows you those privileges.
We have been down this road before, many times.
If you can get your washing machine to sent CW on ten meters, you can use it.
(This one is old, but)
If you can get your toaster to transmit voice on the phone portion of ten meters , you can legally use it there.
You can build your own radio from scratch, and it can be capable of transmitting from DC to daylight, and use it on ten meters.
So the statement no radio which has been modified for use on the 11 meters band - shall be legal for use in on 10 meters band.
is nonsense.

About every major HF rig made today will work on the 11 meter band with a removal of a diode, or by adding a jumper (shit some in the past required you to open the top and flip the switch that was already installed on the board) so that saying no radio designed and manufactured for use in the amateur radio service shall be easily modified to also operate on the 11 meter CB band is total nonsense.

Fact.

Transceivers used in the Amateur Radio Service below 30 MHz do not require FCC authorization prior to being imported into or marketed within the United States, but transceivers for other services, including the CB Radio Service (CB), do require Commission approval.
FACT

All the Galaxy radios are legal to sell if they are sold as manufactured.

Fact
Now if you would like to contact the attorney that was involved in this mess the FCC created, contact Shioda, after all, he is that attorney.

Just so everyone gets the point here.
Shioda IS the Attorney that went to court, and got E-Bay to remove the ban on the galaxy radios
Shioda IS the attorney that went to court and caused the FCC to Remove the "list" from there site, and admit that the radios in question are no different than radios built by Yaesu, Icon, Kenwood or other radio Manufactures.
This is not internet rumor or myth.

Jeff

Reactions: eric chilton
CJ/et al:
The fact is - these radios are legal.

No one is getting prosecuted for selling/repairing 10m or CB radios UNLESS they are modifying them for use outside of their specified frequency provisions.

Any Ham radio can easily be modified to transmit on 11m and no one is stopping their sale. Because they are FCC type certified, just like the other radios are. There is no cure for keeping radios from being modified for out of band use. It is in the nature of the basic design that makes it possible. It has always been - and always will be - separate compliance by the licensed and non-licensed operators alike. Give it a rest, man . . .

Last edited:
Reactions: eric chilton
Amateur Radio is covered under PART 97

Now Part 97 says 2 things.

1. - that no radio designed and manufactured for use in the amateur radio service shall be easily modified to also operate on the 11 meter CB band.

2. - that no radio which has been modified for use on the 11 meters band - shall be legal for use in on 10 meters band.

Instead of fighting with me and telling me that I am wrong, read the rules!

If you went to a Football game in Green Bay Wis and a foul was committed and the referee refused to throw the flag - there would be a uproar.

Please help me find, because for the life of me I cannot find it????

Instead of fighting with me and telling me that I am wrong, read the rules!

No fight, just having a difficult time finding the above quote in Part 97

If you went to a Football game in Green Bay Wis and a foul was committed and the referee refused to throw the flag - there would be a uproar.

GREEN BAY SUCKS!

Fact.

FACT

Fact

Just so everyone gets the point here.
Shioda IS the Attorney that went to court, and got E-Bay to remove the ban on the galaxy radios
Shioda IS the attorney that went to court and caused the FCC to Remove the "list" from there site, and admit that the radios in question are no different than radios built by Yaesu, Icon, Kenwood or other radio Manufactures.
This is not internet rumor or myth.

Jeff

Then, my argument is over. Plain and simple. The "below 30 mhz" concluded my last issue with Part 15. *Not applicable*

Thanks for taking me to school (y) I must read and learn.

One of the easiest radios I have seen to modify for the CB band was the Yaesu FT-2800M
Hold LOW+D/MR and then press the power on. On the screen you should see "A2" on the readout

Jazz Wrote:
yip, kenwood,yaesu and icom have all been supplying the illegal needs of 11m pirates since the late 70's

Dave Wrote:
It seems there is a plethora of radios for sale with the MARS mod yet I have never actually purchased one of these transmitters from an operator that was authorized to use the Military Auxiliary Radio System. So it has always appeared to me to be a sort of "nudge, nudge, wink, wink" disclaimer. In either case it boils down to a modification and subsequent potential misuse of the transceiver so the end result is equal in offense (except of course in the case of an actual emergency) . In any case, with little to no exception, the radio manufacturers, both large and small, have made it clear that they are not interested in circumventing the use of their Amateur radios on the Citizen's Band. Just one hour on YouTube will reveal an abundance of high end gear on CB frequencies.

LOL, the secret behind all of the FT-101 sales, no doubt. (y)

Jeff

OK, lets get real simple.
The Galaxy 949, is a type accepted CB radio, as sold out of the box, and is a Legal radio, conforming to all of the rules and regulations that Channel Jumper just posted
So Are these models.

Galaxy has several CB radios for sale that are Type Accepted, 4 watts AM/12 watts pep SSB.
Mobile
DX 919
DX 929
DX 939
DX 949
DX 959
DX 979
and the Base model DX 2547
Out of the Box, they are legit CB radios and because they have type accepted, legal as Ice Cream.

Galaxy ALSO builds Ten Meter radios.
They are covered under Part 97( not part 95 that channel jumper posted)
And it has been proved, in court that they are legal to be sold , (Out of the box unmodified) in the US and can legally be used by those who hold a license to do so.
Once you own the radio you can modify it how ever you like, as long as you use it on the frequency's that your license allows you to.

jeff

Again, you skew the facts,

In this part 95 I do not see where a person cannot OWN the radio modifed for 11 meter.

Your earlier post quoted PART 97 quoting that no radio can be easily modified for 11 meter? Where?

Then, my argument is over. Plain and simple. The "below 30 mhz" concluded my last issue with Part 15. *Not applicable*

Thanks for taking me to school (y) I must read and learn.

Actually, the FCC's position is that transmitters below 30 mhz do not need Part 15 compliance, but if the transceiver's receiver uses a microprocessor, that part of the circuitry must comply with Part 15.

Channel Jumper, you are wrong.
Part 95 = CB

Part 97= Amateur radio.

That is the same rule that the Amateur Radio Service also has to follow.
No it is not, the rules for CB radio, do not apply to Amateur radio.
They are different radio services.
Go find that in Part 97....not part 95.

Jeff

love it, pmsl its about time reality caught up with all the retards who shout their mouths off without any facts to back them up, a few more cases shioda, you'll be able to afford a decent "ham rig" and not one of those naughty but nice cb's, pmsl.

Working on getting a yacht first, then a better radio. :laugh:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.