• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

is the galaxy 949 illegal

Shioda what radio did you try out?

Just got back from Boundary Waters Canoe area (10 days) so a late reply. Don't know what the model number will be, but the board may still use the 123 numbering system. Looks like first version will be 100 watts and second will have SSB. Don't know when the SSB version will be out, since the radio is pretty small and they probably need to get a new board in it. Sorry for all who like to tinker with their radios, but this one is SMT.

ok back on topic sorta.
"GALAXY DX949 with FM and more mods"
is this mod to this radio illegal? :)
Who cares? The guy is in Croatia anyway. 9A3BCG, Rocky.
The legality or illegality of any CB or export radio is moot, and of interest only to Pecksniffian anal retentives only.

I give the guy thumbs up for putting that much work into the radio, sometimes you can not just go buy what you would like to have....he just built it.
That is the kind of drive we need in Ham radio today.
As for it being legal.....no idea what the rules are in his country.

I think he is having fun with his hobby, that is what counts ;)

Jeff

I give the guy thumbs up for putting that much work into the radio, sometimes you can not just go buy what you would like to have....he just built it.
That is the kind of drive we need in Ham radio today.
Absolutely!!!(y)
As for it being legal.....no idea what the rules are in his country.
Being Croatia, they probably have some kind of certification of legal CB radios. I see he cares about that legality about as much as I do! ;)
I think he is having fun with his hobby, that is what counts ;)
(y)

personaly i feel the radio in question is HIGHLY illeagel and the only safe route to take is to give the radio to me befor he gets caught with it .

personaly i feel the radio in question is HIGHLY illeagel and the only safe route to take is to give the radio to me befor he gets caught with it .
No, wrong!!!
Since that radio is Highly Illegal, his only recourse is to immediately call the FCC at: 1-888-225-5322 and turn himself in for disciplinary action.

In fact, I think I'm going to do that myself. I too, am guilty! I am a scofflaw and need to be punished! I'm going to turn myself in to Commissioner Vanessa for discipline and punishment. Punish me, Vanessa, punish me hard!

Attachments

• michelle_marsh_dominatrix_1.jpg
    michelle_marsh_dominatrix_1.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 42
i was surfing around on different cb boards they said the galaxy 99v is illegal...

Any Export CB Radio is Illegal on any band in the USA & having a license does not make it legal for any band.I called the FCC & went over this discussion with an agent & he explained it & it's pretty simple.Also the Galaxy 959 has a FCC plate on the back of some but it is also Illegal because there are ZERO approved CB Radios with Variable Output Power.If anyone has questions about such radios the FCC is more tha happy to answer your questions & they won't track you down if you call them. LOL

SIX-SHOOTER

Are we talking about the 949?
Or the 99V?

The 949, as sold, is a CB radio and as far as I know Has be type accepted by the FCC.
This Warning is included in the owners manual:

If it were sold as a 10 meter radio, that would not apply.
Galaxy has several CB radios for sale that are Type Accepted, 4 watts AM/12 watts pep SSB.
Mobile
DX 919
DX 929
DX 939
DX 949
DX 959
DX 979
and the Base model DX 2547
Out of the Box, they are legit CB radios and because they have type accepted, legal as Ice Cream.

The 99V is considered a export
The rule reads that it can not be imported FOR SALE as a CB radio
As a out of the box 10 Meter radio, a ham can have, use what ever
You can import one and use it where you are authorized by your license
I would not import and sell them as CB`s

If the FCC goes to a retailer, and walk in and the guy has A 10 meter radio sitting there already converted into a CB, the stuff is gonna hit the fan....
That is the point
NOT a CB out of the box

Jeff

I went down your list with the agent & he said the same thing about each of them as I stated here.
Any Export CB Radio is Illegal on any band in the USA & having a license does not make it legal for any band.I called the FCC & went over this discussion with an agent & he explained it & it's pretty simple.Also the Galaxy 959 has a FCC plate on the back of some but it is also Illegal because there are ZERO approved CB Radios with Variable Output Power.If anyone has questions about such radios the FCC is more than happy to answer your questions & they won't track you down if you call them. LOL

SIX-SHOOTER

If it has a FCC type accepted plate on the back it is legal.
There are several FCC Galaxy CB radios on the market now that a as legal as it gets.
As for 10 meter radios, they are legal for a Ham to buy and use.
It is not legal for transmitting on the CB band.
You can buy any thing that transmits as long as you don't transmit out of band or where you are not licensed to use it.

If you take the time to search here on this forum, one of the Members, Sonwatcher, called the FCC and asked point blank if it was legal to use these radios by a licensed ham.
The reply back after a few days was a absolute YES.
If you search for and find the post it has the Telephone number of the lady he talked to at the FCC and a case number that can be use to check yourself.
The Infamous Banned list that was copied and posted all over the internet was written by a FCC field agent that was confused as to what is legal and what is not.
It was not a rule, nor was it law.
The FCC counsel was forced to state in court, under oath, that the radios were legal to sell new out of the box, if not modified.
This can all be found here on this forum.
This all resulted from the Case of the FCC vers Ranger Communications Inc.
The FCC Lost.
In fact, if I remember right the judge ordered them to pay rangers legal costs and the DAG got his hands slapped for the case.
Another member of this forum who goes by Shioda, is the actual lawyer that represented Ranger in court.
This was beat to death years ago and that is when Sonwatcher called to get the facts.
Bottom line is they are legal as ice cream for a licensed ham to by and use on the band's his/her license allows.

Jeff

There are also copys of the E-mails from the agent that wrote that list posted here on the forum as well.
This was all disclosed by a request submitted by Shioda for documents that were withheld by the FCC in an attempt to hide the facts of the case.
This is why you can now legally sell export radios on EBay.
Shioda was involved in that case as well.

Jeff

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.