• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

is the galaxy 949 illegal

I received a PM, so I will open this back up, I just thought it was drifting off track? :pop:

I use my RCI 2950 chassis radios on 10 meters if I am messing with one and tune through 10 meters and hear someone. I have also talk to people on that are running them on 10 meters. Ive yet to try my 2950DX model on 12 there.

I want to find the modification that opens the radio even further to 20 meters?? I cant remember what exactly it opened to but I thought it was 20 meters.

As far as running these radios on amateur bands its fine as it is to run amplifiers aslong as there not creating havoc across the band (stray RF) We can also build for experiment and use but I believe it was limited and they could not be manufactured for resale ETC.

The problem going on here is that Channel Jumper is mixing part 95 ( that is the rules for Citizen Band radio ) and Part 97 ( that governs Amateur radio)

All the stuff in the very long post back on page 5 Looks to be the reg`s for CB radio.

Part 95 .

Part 97 deals with Amateur radio.

Lets start with part 95.

Part 95 says you are not allowed to even own a 10 meter radio which has been modified to work on 11 meters and you are not allowed to own a linear amplifier - unless you are a licensed amateur radio operator - with a call sign and license.

There is no provision in part 95 that makes it against the law
"to own" a ten meter radio.

Note the word "use" not the word "own"
in the post below.
I will agree that if you are caught
"transmitting"
On a non type accepted radio in the CB radio service,the act of "transmitting" with a non type accepted CB radio is prohibited.

Please note, (as you posted)

§ 95.409 (CB Rule 9) What equipment
may I use at my CB station?
(a) You must use an FCC certificated
CB transmitter at your CB station.
You can identify an FCC certificated
transmitter by the certification label
placed on it by the manufacturer. You
may examine a list of certificated
equipment at any FCC Field Office or
at FCC Headquarters. Use of a transmitter
which is not FCC certificated
voids your authority to operate the
station.
(b) You must not make, or have
made, any internal modification to a
certificated CB transmitter. (See CB§ 95.412 47 CFR Ch. I (10–1–09 Edition)

( Note this seems out of context Added by A/S)
(1) It is in your possession or on your
premises; and
(2) There is other evidence that you
have operated your CB station with
more power than allowed by CB Rule

radio service which allows you to
operate an external RF power amplifier.
[48 FR 24894, June 3, 1983, as amended at 63
FR 36610, July 7, 1998]

Unless you hold a license in another radio service that allows you to have a external Amp as quoted above.
Please note we are still talking about CB Radio here, not Ham radio.
All of the Galaxy radio`s that I posted back on page 2 are CB Radio`s:

Galaxy has several CB radios for sale that are Type Accepted, 4 watts AM/12 watts pep SSB.
Mobile
DX 919
DX 929
DX 939
DX 949
DX 959
DX 979
and the Base model DX 2547
Out of the Box, they are legit CB radios and because they have type accepted, legal as Ice Cream.

( This 25 watt deal Shodia explained this to me, it is in regard to radio control devices, so it will not apply to CB operation so I came back and edited it out of the Questions, Thank`s to him for the info )

Part 95 says - you are not allowed to modify a 10 meter radio to work on 11 meters and you are not allowed to transmit with more then the prescribed power.

I will agree with you on this as in the CB radio service, and as it apply`s to the CB radio service,( however, not the amateur radio service ) the radio must be type accepted for CB, not ham radio, lets be clear.

That is the same rule that the Amateur Radio Service also has to follow.

This is not correct, amateur radio is covered by part 97, not part 95.
they are 2 different radio services.

Please address these issues, and we can move on to Part 97, and how that effects Ham radio.

Channel Jumper, do not mistake this as a personal attack on you.
there are many people that come to this forum for information.
We do our very best to provide the "correct Information"
And so far there appear to be error`s in the above posts.

Jeff

Last edited:
Happy Hamer got a Private message last night and he opened it back up.
There are some things that do not make sense in some of the posting.
FCC rules are hard enough to understand as it is with out erroneous stuff being posted.

I asked a few question that I would like to be cleared up before it gets lost.
Another thing is the post`s that are made by Shoida carry a lot of weight here ( for me anyway) as this is the area of the law that he deals with, and has been to court regarding these rules and reg`s.

Jeff

I once thought that the FCC regs were a bit confusing - rather irrational.

But then I got into California state and local gun and knife laws - makes the FCC in these parts look like grade-school law.

There seems to not be a lot of precidence on some of the more confusing issues, so it will boil down to you or someone willing to be the test case. Money seems to have a big influence, then there is luck, and nothing is set in stone. The eBay case is a milestone - if it actually was went to judgment. Did it or was it settled?

AudioShockWav's post re the regs is basically accurate. Part 95 only governs CB radios. Part 97 governs Amateur radios. Radios that work only on Amateur frequencies, as manufactured, are governed by Part 97. There is nothing in Part 97 that prohibits anyone from modifying their Amateur radio. If you modify an Amateur radio to work out of band, you cannot transmit on frequencies that require certified equipment without violating the regulations.

You can modify your Amateur radio to work on CB. It is not illegal. If you transmit on CB with an Amateur radio, you are violating the regulations. If you just receive CB transmissions, you are not violating the regulations.

27.255 MHz is a shared frequency with RC equipment. Only RC equipment can use 25 watts, not CB.

AudioShockWav's post re the regs is basically accurate. Part 95 only governs CB radios. Part 97 governs Amateur radios. Radios that work only on Amateur frequencies, as manufactured, are governed by Part 97. There is nothing in Part 97 that prohibits anyone from modifying their Amateur radio. If you modify an Amateur radio to work out of band, you cannot transmit on frequencies that require certified equipment without violating the regulations.

You can modify your Amateur radio to work on CB. It is not illegal. If you transmit on CB with an Amateur radio, you are violating the regulations. If you just receive CB transmissions, you are not violating the regulations.

27.255 MHz is a shared frequency with RC equipment. Only RC equipment can use 25 watts, not CB.

I agree! Hams can do whatever modifications we want with our gear, as provided under Part 97. Once we transmit, we violate Part 95(d) as we are using non type-accepted equipment. This is common on UHF/VHF. We can listen on FRS, GMRS, MURS.. BUT we cannot transmit, as our radios do not meet the specific type-acceptance for these services.

A CB HAS to be Part 95 type accepted. MURS radios need Part 95 type accepted, FRS and GMRS also need Part 95 type acceptance.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.