• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

is this a good amp

Mine had 1 driving 3 all 8950 tubes.
I used it with a 23 channel Midland mobile-base and it did a little over 300 on SSB.
That was a very long time ago.
I would hate to retube it at todays prices unless you can find a deal on tubes.
Keep in mind if it has original parts in it that they got a lot of years on them.

Jeff

Reactions: walterjn
I used it with a 23 channel Midland mobile-base and it did a little over 300 on SSB.
Keep in mind if it has original parts in it that they got a lot of years on them.

Jeff
I have seen these with both 8950's and with 6LF6's. 6LF6's are half the price of 8950's $100 vs $50 EACH. I have 1 of each.

Jeff
I'm trying to replace my solid-state 200 base amp with a better amp up to 500 watts is fine for me and for $250 i don't think is bad but i believe the tubes are 8950 tubes

Last edited:
Hmm. A late 1970s linear. Kinda like asking if a 1977 car is "a good one".

Mighta been four-plus decades ago. But this many years down the line what matters more is the mileage, and how hard those miles were.

If it has been treated well, and all the suicidal-age electrolytic caps are updated, should serve you well. If those caps are original, they will fail. Can't predict exactly when, but the pattern we see is pretty soon after you put it back in harness. And if the box is genuine unused "NOS" you might get a few months.

If some previous owner was hard on it, there will be other wear issues.

And if that 1977 car has original radiator hoses, don't set out on a road trip before they get changed. Might get stranded.

Reactions: AudioShockwav
I'm trying to replace my solid-state 200 base amp with a better amp up to 500 watts is fine for me and for $250 i don't think is bad but i believe the tubes are 8950 tubes
You can change up the heater wiring and use 6LF6 tubes its a pretty simple mod.

Reactions: 1iwilly
Old television sweep tube amp. 8950 tubes that can only be had used for over $100 each if you can find them. Stay away. Sweep tubes, hahahahha

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?