1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

Is this a good antenna?

Discussion in 'CB Antennas' started by KingCobraTN, Jun 16, 2019.

1. KingCobraTN

KingCobraTN New Member

Well I have a Francis antenna and 025 in Knoxville said I was putting 2 on him with the Francis put my firestik tunable tip said I came up one s unit haven't got to try this antenna yet I like the look too minus the coil anyways I had some big radios back in my youngers days but parents had to sell cause tight on money use to when I was 15 when I got my first Cobra 148 and my first Wilson 2000 was talking all over barefoot now seems like everyone has a box and not getting out. Doesn't take big power to talk dx that's what a old ssb old timer told me that I use to hang out with anyways the antenna is staying till something happens if you ask me a antenna is a antenna

Marconi and 357magnum like this.

2. KingCobraTN

KingCobraTN New Member

Heck at moms I made a dipole and had it behind the trailer that was made out speaker wire and a ge ssb radio don't know what model it was I know I bought it cause it had sideband but I remember talking to Canada and up north all the time. Speaker wire Aaron just got down. Oh ya I don't know how far off the ground it was it was low had 1.4 swr.

357magnum likes this.
  3. KingCobraTN

KingCobraTN New Member

I love the hobby and making antennas most of all when I learn I'm gonna try making a beam

Slowmover and Marconi like this.
  4. 357magnum

357magnum Sr. Member

Btw , King if I forgot " Welcome to the Forum " ! But a word of advice on here ... Never say " An Antenna is just & Antenna " .:whistle: Wow don't even go there ! It's all about the antenna , I learned that years back when I joined . 73 & God Bless , Leo

5. KingCobraTN

KingCobraTN New Member

Ok Magnum but I do love the hobby I would be happy if I just made one contact a day, But anyways I'll keep trying her and we will see where she talks. Show me that like again about the coil antennas exposes gonna do some reading after mowing and if you know anyone that could explain how a beam works to me. I know it shoots the signal in one direction what I mean is what the directors and reflectors do like how they work together.

357magnum likes this.
  6. KingCobraTN

KingCobraTN New Member

And what is a nmo mount I hear in the dxchat.
    Aaron aka Bearcat 980 aka KingCobraTN 38lsb where I'm at. Nice to meet u Leo.

357magnum likes this.
  7. 357magnum

357magnum Sr. Member

King , you have the basics on the beam , plus you get all the " rejection " on the other elements . PM Marconi ( if he doesn't see this ) he can explain better than I also " Db " the list is endless on here . Marconi is my " Go to Guy " , no disrespect to any other forum members ! But he's always explained things in the past since I joined 5 years ago . Info on this site is awesome !:)

8. w9cll

w9cll W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member

The NMO mount was developed by Motorola. It was designed for higher frequency use but will work on 27mhz. It is not as strong as a 3/8x24 mount but it does form a watertight seal if mounted properly.

9. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Sr. Member

It's only as good as your installation skills.
    Where you decide to mount it and how you decide to mount it and what type of vehicle you're mounting it on are going to be the determining factors for how well it performs.

357magnum likes this.
  10. 357magnum

357magnum Sr. Member

King , We have many others but those 2 especially w9 & Chop know their stuff ! Take it as Gospel ! Just waiting for my other buddy " Tall " to chime in ! But many more on here will set you straight ! Like their comments or not , they know .

11. KingCobraTN

KingCobraTN New Member

Here is the bottom side I hear the laughter coming lol anyways if you suggest a better mount will have to upgrade in the near future

Attached Files:

Slowmover and rabbiporkchop like this.
  12. KingCobraTN

KingCobraTN New Member

Got some ends haven't gotten around to putting on yet

357magnum likes this.
  13. 357magnum

357magnum Sr. Member

Almost said , use what you got . But that coax ? Think I'll tap out on that ! Looks " Needy " !:whistle:;)

rabbiporkchop likes this.
  14. 357magnum

357magnum Sr. Member

Btw , I don't like that mount ! Remember you need proper bonding & Man " That Ain't It " ! Bond , Bond & Re-bond & at least take the paint off of your mount @ roof . That SWR must suck ! Or I wouldn't trust it , just me IMO.

rabbiporkchop likes this.
  15. KingCobraTN

KingCobraTN New Member

Had to clip stinger got it down to 1.1 on 1 and 1.4 on 40 Francis was 1.1 on 20 and 1.5 on both ends firestik I tuned it 1.1 on 38 and left it gonna put it back on the bed I guess and plug this hole somehow

357magnum likes this.