• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Is this a Rohn tower?

I seen the splits. They are in the top section. Maybe 4 feet from the top. I was going to cut the tower above the splits and mount it . I will put up more pics tomorrow. I definitely dont want to climb it. But maybe a hinge mount may be the trick. If it doesn't break in half.

Don't know where you live but around here there's a bunch of old rohn 20 & 25 towers up with old tv antennas on them that haven't been used in years. With so many on cable, dish, internet streaming... this leaves quite a few decent towers just going to waste. The problem is finding the people that are cool with you taking them down and trusting you wont drop it on the neighbors house or kill yourself falling off it. Ask around and talk to some folks... you might be surprised what you come up with. I would hate to see you go through the trouble of putting something up that wont handle your wind load requirements or something you cant even climb safely.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Good advice Blackcat. Im in Northeast Pa. I will keep my eyes open. I surely dont want to get hurt, or have 18 feet of tower come down on my roof.

The split in that tower leg was probably caused by freezing. Unless you provide a way for condensation inside the tower leg to drain away it just fills up on the inside of the leg. When freezing temperatures arrive, the water inside freezes, first at the top, and works its way downward. The leg splits just like a frozen water pipe. The split probably marks the height the water reached inside when the temperature dropped one night.

Any time you lower a tower section inside the concrete base you should put a layer of coarse gravel at the bottom of the hole. Any water that condenses inside the tower leg can drain into the soil under the concrete. Otherwise it just builds up with nowhere to go.

Yep, my folks had a TV tower identical to that back in the mid 60's. I felt those were easier to climb than a Rohn, but I certainly wouldn't tempt that fate with something that old and damaged. If it were mine, I would cut all the steps down the middle and bury the 6 sections leftover in a ground (steps facing down). By ground strapping them together in a 360deg circular pattern, you will have formed an excellent base for a ground mounted vertical.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated