• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

IS THIS STUFF ANY GOOD?

I'm not familiar with the feedpoint of that antenna so I cannot comment on it. The stuff I use has to be stretched to activate the self fusing properties which I assume is normal for all of that type of tape. Pretty much all my antennas I am able to get the tape up over the end of the PL259 connector and right up to the base of the SO239 jack. There I use a small bead of silicone sealant to finish the job after using the Scotch 88 overwrap. I used to completely cover the whole taped area with silicone sealant but that messy and really not needed. I learned later that a good tape job with GOOD tape was all I needed. I've had connectors in use outdoors for a decade and when opened they looked bright and shiny as new. I cringe when I see a connector screwed on with no weatherproofing at all. Even if water manages to stay out of the cable the outside threads will eventually corrode and seize. I once replaced a couple of antennas at a local municipal airport simply because the connectors were not weatherproofed and seized to the point the antennas got broken trying to remove them. The antenna stud broke right off.

I'm not familiar with the feedpoint of that antenna so I cannot comment on it. The stuff I use has to be stretched to activate the self fusing properties which I assume is normal for all of that type of tape. Pretty much all my antennas I am able to get the tape up over the end of the PL259 connector and right up to the base of the SO239 jack. There I use a small bead of silicone sealant to finish the job after using the Scotch 88 overwrap. I used to completely cover the whole taped area with silicone sealant but that messy and really not needed. I learned later that a good tape job with GOOD tape was all I needed. I've had connectors in use outdoors for a decade and when opened they looked bright and shiny as new. I cringe when I see a connector screwed on with no weatherproofing at all. Even if water manages to stay out of the cable the outside threads will eventually corrode and seize. I once replaced a couple of antennas at a local municipal airport simply because the connectors were not weatherproofed and seized to the point the antennas got broken trying to remove them. The antenna stud broke right off.
(y)

Would anyone be opposed to using silicone dielectric grease inside the connector? Normally I would just put it on the threads, but I recently had a Wilson 5k mag mount coil fill with water. After talking care of the water intrusion issue, I gooped up the entire magnet base connector with the silicone dielectric. The SWR checked out ok but would this be a problem at high power levels? If this would not pose any problems, then I would be tempted to use it on a regular connection and wrap it with something like the 3M super 33 electrical tape. Thoughts/opinions?

Would anyone be opposed to using silicone dielectric grease inside the connector? Normally I would just put it on the threads, but I recently had a Wilson 5k mag mount coil fill with water. After talking care of the water intrusion issue, I gooped up the entire magnet base connector with the silicone dielectric. The SWR checked out ok but would this be a problem at high power levels? If this would not pose any problems, then I would be tempted to use it on a regular connection and wrap it with something like the 3M super 33 electrical tape. Thoughts/opinions?

CATV systems have been using flooded type F connectors for eons. Andrew supplies a small pack of silicone grease with their heliax connectors for greasing the O-ring and threads. You can flood the entire connector HOWEVER do NOT get any on the centre pin of the connector. Mate the connector centre pin then flood the connector as you screw the shell up and onto the antenna stud. Oh.....do not get any of it anywhere you want to apply tape. It won't stick even if you wipe it off unless you wipe it REALLY good.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
I use the self vulcanizing tape that bonds to itself and not the connector. I use it first then cover with Scotch 88 electrical tape to protect it from the sunlight. It lasts for many years and removes easily with an Exacto knife. I have never had water infiltrate any of the connections I have used it on.

I do this exact same thing, using the very same coax wrap and Super 88 tape.
I do this on all outside coax connections, and on all the antenna joints after using "antenna grease" .........

I purchased a half inch diameter 5 ft roll for $10. I'm still not sure of my issues with the SWR. But whatever it might be when the problem is resolved I will use the tape at the antennas feet point. I wish I had known about this item before the issue. Especially if my problem is and was caused by moisture getting in through the antennas coax feed point (pl259, so239). I wouldn't even be bitching about this problem if that is indeed what happened had I used this product upon install. Still haven't gotten out there yet to figure out what the issue is. But I'm looking forward to it and I will definitely report my findings. Thanks to all. 73 s

Coax Seal is excellent! I have been using the product for over 20 years with no moisture problems whatsoever.

BTW: Why is your antenna mounted on the ground?
I guess I never actually answered your question as to why the antenna is mounted on the ground. Brand new roof XYL not having it!
I even purchased and Eve's mount, but she still wasn't having it. I did the best with what I had and in all honesty I am glad I did. I would love to see my antenna at least 33 feet above the ground, but that is most likely never going to happen. At least not on this piece of property.

Reactions: Unit 194
It works really well. I once managed a Dish Network company for a friend while he had cancer. We were in 10 States. We used a lot of that. I use that myself to this day. I have not tried any other brands. I think Home Depot sells it too.A little bit will last you a fairly long time. I think a lot of people just use shrink tubing today if they can get to the connector easily.

Well I don't recommend going crazy with 20 wraps.. 1-2 tight wraps with good quality stuff works for me..
I know this post is old, but since I've decided to take a break from operating in order to redo (basically) my whole station (inside and out.) That includes adding a 25' telescopic mast to o my non penetrating roof mount. I took your advice and although I'm still months from getting to the antenna I went ahead and purchased a roll of the tape you suggested. I will also take you advise about adding a small amount of electrical tape before wrapping the water/moisture proof coax tape. After your suggestion I did a bit of research on the coax tape. I've read that it's so sticky that after a long period of time, between the heat of the summer, and the cold of the winters that tape can practically fuse itself to the coax. Making it nearly impossible or at least a very difficult to remove. Not to mention a very messy job of removing it (if need be.) Thank you for the information. I'm trying my best to rectify all the mistakes that I made in a rush to get back on the air. This time around I'm doing everything as close to the book as I can. 73's

Reactions: Blackcat630
Taken from QRZ
Use Duct Seal Putty instead.
1 pound goes a long way.
Cost $1.97. Home Depot part # 032076801106
Unlike tape, you can remove it from the coax connector, and reuse it again too.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.