• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

IS THIS STUFF ANY GOOD?

Radio shack used to sell a version of that soft sealant tape in the 80's/90's. I'd use it when I had two runs of long coax and a connector in the middle. It lasted for years and was awesome at protecting the connectors from the weather. When I peeled it off years later they looked brand new....aside from all the sticky black residue :)
To get rid of the sticky black residue, use electrical tape first, adhesive side out. Then wrap with coax seal.

Coax seal works, I use it on my outdoor connections. I like it better than coax wrap tape.

Coax seal leaves residue when you remove it but you don't get something for nothing.

Although it's not always easy to possible to change connectors on manufactured antennas, but N connectors are superior to the antiquated SO 239's. They have a better electrical connection that isn't relying on tight threading connections and they are waterproof.

It would be nice if all manufacturers would start using N connections but that's as likely that the US will convert to metric.

I'm looking into converting all my connections to N.

Reactions: Unit 194
I would say N connectors are more weather resistant as opposed to waterproof. I would still want to seal a type N connector at the top of my tower. Type N will not handle as much power as a PL259 however due to the smaller centre pin however that is not likely a factor until you start runnjng some SERIOUS power.

Reactions: Unit 194
I would say N connectors are more weather resistant as opposed to waterproof. I would still want to seal a type N connector at the top of my tower. Type N will not handle as much power as a PL259 however due to the smaller centre pin however that is not likely a factor until you start runnjng some SERIOUS power.
3m has some better stuff

Reactions: Sonar
Yes Sir! When I first decided to get back on the air after a 28 year absanance I left a post asking that question on this very site (wwdx radio fourm) wheather a non penetrating roof mount would work for mounting my antenna on the ground in my backyard? The consensus was absolutely!
My second question in that same post was would my antenna work at only 10 feet from the ground?
The answer to that question wasn't as positive. Some said it would work. Some said it wouldn't work. And some said if it's all you can do in order to get on the air go for it and see what happens.
I followed the advice of the latter and my a99 had an swr of 1.3 with 2 Watts and 1.5 with 1K.
I've talked locally 70 miles, and when conditions were running wild I made contacts and held qso's from Japan to Turkey, and Alaska to Brazil.
It was either that or stop looking at the old gear I'd collected since the late 70s, and stop dreaming about getting it on the air again.
I remember thanking everyone who told me to go for it and see what happens. As a matter of fact I recall several other replies stating they've operated a 99's and 2000's mounted less then 2ft off the ground. One guy on a Caribbean Beach, during vacation used about 4 ft of bamboo pole shoved in the sand, and it worked like a charm.
I would like to have the antenna higher in the air but with that comes guy wires, and my backyard isn't that large. We have barbecues during the summer and my nieces and nephews do lots of running around. We also have the occasional deer strool through. Guy wires coul injour or possibly kill the animals and worse the children. Getting cloths lined buy a guy wire can be detrimental to your health.This non penetrating roof mount is normally used for those who have a flat roof and don't want to or can't use screws in order to mount a tripod. They also sell one for a pitched roof.
The first (brown colored mast is part of the n.p.r.m and the one above that is a standard mast I added. The antenna although not seen in the picture is mounted on that one. My antenna I actually less then 10'. More like 8'. This is what it looks like before adding the cinder blocks, another mast and antenna. Thanks. 73'sView attachment 22480
View attachment 22478

So I guess for whatever the reason you can't mount your antenna on your roof. I have seen antennas mounted on roofs, decks, fences, trees, and balconies but never on the ground. But obviously as long as it works in your application that's all that counts.
I'm very impressed with the contacts and performance that you have posted.
73's

let be clear water proof seal tape.

Is that the self fusing tape? Good product but the stuff I tried only sticks to its self and doesn't mold to the odd shapes of some connections like the coax seal will.

In some applications, like a 5/8 wave maco, it would help hold moisture in if you only wrapped the pl259.

let be clear water proof seal tape.

Yes but you quoted my comment to fourstringburn about type N connectors being weather resistant versus him stating they were water proof. I said nothing about any type of sealant on them so when you said 3M makes better stuff I thought I would respond to an irrelevant post with an irrelevant post. LOL

Yes but you quoted my comment to fourstringburn about type N connectors being weather resistant versus him stating they were water proof. I said nothing about any type of sealant on them so when you said 3M makes better stuff I thought I would respond to an irrelevant post with an irrelevant post. LOL
my bad confusion is my middle name lol.

Reactions: Captain Kilowatt
Is that the self fusing tape? Good product but the stuff I tried only sticks to its self and doesn't mold to the odd shapes of some connections like the coax seal will.

In some applications, like a 5/8 wave maco, it would help hold moisture in if you only wrapped the pl259.

I use the self vulcanizing tape that bonds to itself and not the connector. I use it first then cover with Scotch 88 electrical tape to protect it from the sunlight. It lasts for many years and removes easily with an Exacto knife. I have never had water infiltrate any of the connections I have used it on.

The good N connectors have a "waterproof" rubber seal, weatherproof is by definition being resistant to damage, corrosion, etc from being exposed to weather. Maybe semantics here because I have seen them marketed and referred to as being waterproof and weather proof. Either way, UHF connectors are NOT!

According to Amphenol's spec's, N connectors are rated at 1500 volts peak while UHF is rated at 500 volts peak. Looks to me that N connectors are rated higher than UHF.

I mentioned N connectors because it's something to consider instead of trying to keep messing around with the tired old UHF connectors that need waterproofing. So it is relevant and worth mentioning on this thread.

The good N connectors have a "waterproof" rubber seal, weatherproof is by definition being resistant to damage, corrosion, etc from being exposed to weather. Maybe semantics here because I have seen them marketed and referred to as being waterproof and weather proof. Either way, UHF connectors are NOT!

According to Amphenol's spec's, N connectors are rated at 1500 volts peak while UHF is rated at 500 volts peak. Looks to me that N connectors are rated higher than UHF.

I mentioned N connectors because it's something to consider instead of trying to keep messing around with the tired old UHF connectors that need waterproofing. So it is relevant and worth mentioning on this thread.

It must be semantics because I have used L44 series connectors on LDF-4 and larger and yes they come with a red rubber O-ring and are quite weather resistant but I would not install them without sealing them. I have seen water get into them after years of being exposed to the elements. As for their ratings, voltage is one thing while current is another. I know some that have used a teflon insulated UHF connector as a high voltage connector for 1800 volts without an issue. Depending on your load impedance you may have some very high line currents and the type N with the smaller centre pin will not handle it as well as a UHF connector. I have seen reports where the centre pin actually burned up due to excessive current and the resultant arcing. Now we are talking quite high power and possibly a low impedance load but there are times when the UHF may be a better choice and these would indeed be few and far between. Granted in all other aspects however the type N is superior for sure.

I use the self vulcanizing tape that bonds to itself and not the connector. I use it first then cover with Scotch 88 electrical tape to protect it from the sunlight. It lasts for many years and removes easily with an Exacto knife. I have never had water infiltrate any of the connections I have used it on.

Not doubting the product. My point was that some antennas need more water proofing than just wrapping the pl259. I used the maco as an example because the top of the so239 needs to be sealed with something like coax seal. If the so239 insulator isn't tight enough to hold water it leaks through the connector and into the coax. If that happens the stuff wrapped around the pl259 isn't helping.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.