• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

ISO - CPU For RCI-2990-Dx2527

James2020

Oct 22, 2020
Hello, I'm Looking for a CPU for a RCI-2990 or Galaxy DX2527 or any that will work .
The Part numbers are as follows
Board # DPT295042z
Chip # YNRG2951 SP - HD404818E 14FS
"Possible part number #T-106O-P03 "but not 100% sure "

Attachments

• 1B48808F-138B-4187-9E7A-BEC59F0FD7B5.jpeg
    1B48808F-138B-4187-9E7A-BEC59F0FD7B5.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 34
  • 484047EA-0E76-4A27-BC60-5BCE9C3F2720.jpeg
    484047EA-0E76-4A27-BC60-5BCE9C3F2720.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 32
  • 60629537-5D22-4FC8-80F0-73DCC9083262.jpeg
    60629537-5D22-4FC8-80F0-73DCC9083262.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 30
Last edited:

Sorry idk how i uploaded the pictures 2x !
But id also even be interested in buying the complete radio if you have one you want to sell whole & not part out !! But i really just need the CPU but will take it anyway i can get it lol . Thanks Jim !

Attachments

• 0025E1EC-85E3-458B-9A1D-B9A907E5575A.png
    0025E1EC-85E3-458B-9A1D-B9A907E5575A.png
    3 MB · Views: 12
  • 09DA956A-4FF9-4FA1-B729-A5641ACCAFE2.png
    09DA956A-4FF9-4FA1-B729-A5641ACCAFE2.png
    9.5 MB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Why does is look like one of the two light bulb solder pads on the right hand side, has migrated from its location on the PC board and got stuck between two other traces?

Reactions: James2020
You'll find a lot of more-or-less okay radios with that chip poofed.

But you won't find a lot of those chips that are still good inside a radio that was totalled for some other reason. Bad chip, good radio not uncommon. Good chip, bad radio is the rare combination.

Gonna be like looking for a good used radiator hose at the junkyard. The CPU from a mobile 2950 of that era will work if you add header pins that connect to the two brown plugs leading to the pushbutton board. Tricky part is finding one that's not already poofed. Had a customer who had bought three of them, hoping to fix his 2527. None of them worked when I hooked them up in a working radio. Pig in a poke.

That series of CPU was just poof prone. Most of the many failures we have seen fall into two major categories.

First would be the 'big' radios, from 1995 to 2000, like the Saturn Turbo, Eagle 5000 and RCI2990. The power supply regulator in those radios would fail and put 24 Volts onto the radio and the CPU board. Big hint for these was to see a small fragment of the black plastic blown out of the chip. Customer would typically report hearing a "SNAP!" from inside just as the display went blank. Had a pic of that on my ImageShack account, but can't seem to locate it now. Dern!

Second on the hit parade would be excess voltage on pin 3 of the mike socket. Since the keying pin on that radio doesn't connect to the radio, it "keys" the computer. The computer then turns around and sends an output to the radio board's T/R switch to make it transmit.

The CPU runs from 5 Volts. Connecting a 13.8-Volt relay coil to pin 3 of the mike socket looks like a clever way to activate a relay and key your ham linear without a foot switch. The excess voltage will poof that input on the CPU. Typical symptom is that the little legend "TX" on the display won't go out, and the radio stays keyed all the time. This CPU won't change frequency while transmitting, so the radio stays stuck on the last frequency it was on before the moment of poof.

And sometimes the CPU just fails. Had one customer who had the radio on during a storm. Lightning hit the phone line somewhere nearby, and a spark jumped from the landline phone on the desk to his D104. His DX2527 was perpetually stuck in transmit after that.

RCI ran out of that board 20 years ago, more or less. Not sure they ever imported the chip alone. The program inside that makes it work came from RCI, so there would never be any other source for it.

Been wishing for a way to finance an outright replacement for the CPU and display. A 'drop-in' that simply replaces the original display/CPU board would cost more to develop that I have on hand to invest. Ten years ago I would have figured the market for it to be pretty good. This many years down the line I'll guess a lot of the "poofed CPU" radios have already gone to the landfill. Probably too late to sell enough of them to make back the investment.

Gotta figure the older two-board CPU and display (with the coin cell on it) would work, but all the connectors are different. Never invested the time to hack a hookup. Theory says it should work. Haven't seen anyone else succeed.

Or even try.

This is also the most difficult part in the radio to remove and change. Just getting the defective one out without destroying the board usually results in several pins being broken off the old chip. Removing one without damaging the chip is very hard to do and the labor involved will cost more than just buying a good board. If someone has a working board with that chip on it, do not ask them to remove it. Replace the entire board.

But you won't find a lot of those chips that are still good inside a radio that was totalled for some other reason. Bad chip, good radio not uncommon. Good chip, bad radio is the rare combination.

Gonna be like looking for a good used radiator hose at the junkyard. The CPU from a mobile 2950 of that era will work if you add header pins that connect to the two brown plugs leading to the pushbutton board. Tricky part is finding one that's not already poofed. Had a customer who had bought three of them, hoping to fix his 2527. None of them worked when I hooked them up in a working radio. Pig in a poke.

That series of CPU was just poof prone. Most of the many failures we have seen fall into two major categories.

First would be the 'big' radios, from 1995 to 2000, like the Saturn Turbo, Eagle 5000 and RCI2990. The power supply regulator in those radios would fail and put 24 Volts onto the radio and the CPU board. Big hint for these was to see a small fragment of the black plastic blown out of the chip. Customer would typically report hearing a "SNAP!" from inside just as the display went blank. Had a pic of that on my ImageShack account, but can't seem to locate it now. Dern!

Second on the hit parade would be excess voltage on pin 3 of the mike socket. Since the keying pin on that radio doesn't connect to the radio, it "keys" the computer. The computer then turns around and sends an output to the radio board's T/R switch to make it transmit.

The CPU runs from 5 Volts. Connecting a 13.8-Volt relay coil to pin 3 of the mike socket looks like a clever way to activate a relay and key your ham linear without a foot switch. The excess voltage will poof that input on the CPU. Typical symptom is that the little legend "TX" on the display won't go out, and the radio stays keyed all the time. This CPU won't change frequency while transmitting, so the radio stays stuck on the last frequency it was on before the moment of poof.

And sometimes the CPU just fails. Had one customer who had the radio on during a storm. Lightning hit the phone line somewhere nearby, and a spark jumped from the landline phone on the desk to his D104. His DX2527 was perpetually stuck in transmit after that.

RCI ran out of that board 20 years ago, more or less. Not sure they ever imported the chip alone. The program inside that makes it work came from RCI, so there would never be any other source for it.

Been wishing for a way to finance an outright replacement for the CPU and display. A 'drop-in' that simply replaces the original display/CPU board would cost more to develop that I have on hand to invest. Ten years ago I would have figured the market for it to be pretty good. This many years down the line I'll guess a lot of the "poofed CPU" radios have already gone to the landfill. Probably too late to sell enough of them to make back the investment.

Gotta figure the older two-board CPU and display (with the coin cell on it) would work, but all the connectors are different. Never invested the time to hack a hookup. Theory says it should work. Haven't seen anyone else succeed.

Or even try.

Or even try.

Yea mine went into permanent TX mode but unfortunately it was my fault had a failure on a microphone and im guessing it sent voltage into the radio and now its stuck in permanent TX

Why does is look like one of the two light bulb solder pads on the right hand side, has migrated from its location on the PC board and got stuck between two other traces?
Yea its been like that for many many years the lights were ran a different way a long time ago , but the issue is its stuck in TX mode

I found someone with one , its on its ways i just hope that it works !!! Ill definitely start looking for another one for a spare in the mean time . I will definitely be more cautious hear on out with this radio & all of my other RCI now that i know the CPU are easily killed & a vital component of these models of radios i thank everyone for the response & help & if anyone comes across this thread Yes i am still looking for CPU i will actually take several so if you happen to have one please let me know , thanks Jim

Or even try.

Hey Nomad. I am actually saving as many radios like this as I can.
Recently, I found a 2527 (13z) the display board had went out of. I pulled the display out of a 2950 (also a 13z board) that had blown finals.
I had a spare button board, so I cut the pin section off of it (since these circuit boards DO NOT, like to be soldered to) ran those through the CPU so they stuck out of the back, and they worked fine.
I didn't run into ANY problem connecting the 2 board unit up in place of the single board cpu. The key is to just follow down all the connection plugs and make sure they plug into the correct spots.

Attachments

• 20230308_224736.jpg
    20230308_224736.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 6
  • 20230308_230432.jpg
    20230308_230432.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 5
  • 20230308_230438.jpg
    20230308_230438.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 5

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?