• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

ISS is back on

No luck so far, set digi path to ARISS for the second and third attempt. First attempt was with the default setting(WIDE 1-1, WIDE 2-1), someone actually received that one, it showed up on openaprs like this AB9RU-7>TSQT7P via WIDE2-1,qAR,W0JRT and I was on 145.825. I might have to try outside since it may actually quit raining for a couple days, I know my odds would increase if I could see the ISS but imagine that, its cloudy

Reaching ISS

Finally got through on APRS tonight on the vx8gr

Could you elaborate for us how you got through? In other words, were you on 145.825? What was the DIGI path set to etc.?
I'm using the VX-8DR and have an FTM-350 in the car and would like to see some packets transit the ISS. Any basic guidanc eor a link to how to set up for this would be helpful. (The sat tracking aspect of it I am fine on as I regularly work A0-51 and other cubesats with the Arrow Antenna and VX-8DR).

Thanks.

Phil
N3KDJ

Digi path set to ARISS, freq 145.825

I tried many times to send a message through to myself and never had any luck, last night I turned the beacon on and transmitted it a few times and it made the trip.

When I got through it was very late in the pass, Orbitron says it was at 8 degrees and range was 1441 km. My guess is is that there were less stations to compete with, I tried earlier yesterday on a 58 degree pass and there was a lot of activity on the frequency

Good luck

N3KDJ

Update, I've had better luck using -6 instead of -7 from my HT(VX-8GR), it may be coincidence or dumb luck, good possibility its just dumb luck. The yaesu manual does say that -6 is ops via sat, whereas -7 is hand held and I think -9 was mobile. I am still only using ARISS a digipath

ISS is currently in packet mode, for those of you that have a hankering for that.

Hopefully they will switch over to voice operation later on. That way, I can have another shot at a contact.

Last edited:
ISS is currently in packet mode, for those of you that have a hankering for that.

Hopefully they will switch over to voice operation later on. That way, I can have another shot at a contact.

My only hopes for a contact now are on weekends until I get a pass before 1200Z when I usually start my drive to work. Still I think my only chance of a voice contact would be a weekend, I can't remember hearing Col Wheelock before 2100Z during the week. Packet might be more fun if I had the ability to type messages faster, something I am still learning about the VX8G.

It would be great if they turned the FM repeater on, but you would almost have to operate full duplex to make changes to your uplink frequency, which is opposite of what we do with FM sats

Good Luck on making contact with the ISS

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.