• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

It doesn't allways take a whole lot of power!

I apologize if you think I thought you didn't make contact , my comment was that you were only running 4 watts at the time . I'm sure it has been done but with the conditions on 38 as of late it would be a crap shoot . I have talk there myself a while back but not without my amp .:oops:

Reactions: 1 person
What's your dx numbers space cowboy? I talk to Michigan all the time. Worked out of Kentwood, MI for almost 6 months last year. Right until it got cold lol.

could be. I seem to remember a 212 from florida, but it could have been 222.
old.gif

419 out of detroit is my usual call sign nowadays. I used to go by 2112, but someone local picked up my numbers while I was away, so being the nice guy that I am, I switched, but sometimes I forget.
old-man-mooning.gif

35 for australia huh? upper, lower, or am?

Last edited:
I was on 38lsb when I made contact , and I am pretty sure we have spoken space cowboy!! There are some Aussies that hang on 37lsb as well as 35lsb. And 357 magnum no offense taken man!!!! There is no way I would have made that contact without power the way conditions have been!! But in the past I have made contact with 12-15 watts. Conditions were a lot different then!! When an Aussie comes in, the power goes on lol. Gotta make contact!! But seriously, it's all in good fun and I don't step on any of my locals toes! We have a great group of guys and they all help each other. Have a great one and happy dx'ing.

Reactions: 1 person
I was on 38 lsb for a while on Sat and Sun this weekend. I am up early and listening to the skip and also late Sunday afternoon. A lot of good sounding stations fron Canada Chiago and Florida etc. Most sounding real good. I was olny running 50 to 70 watts topps and got a lot of good reports. I also had three stations said I sounded good fron Ontario Canada (from New Jersey) and I looked and didn't have the box on. Low power 2 watts :oops: Lots of nice stations with good ears I might add.

Good to hear you were able to hold a conversation on low power. I have a 100 watt rig that doesn't seem to get out on 38 LSB....but it might be due to the antenna.

Good to hear you were able to hold a conversation on low power. I have a 100 watt rig that doesn't seem to get out on 38 LSB....but it might be due to the antenna.

it could be, it could also be the radio. I've heard high power radios with very low power modulation. with 100W you should be talking far and wide.
what are you running?
there's lots of hash and trash on 38 lsb, try 37 or 39. there won't be near as many people, and there will be gaps with no people at all, but you won't be fighting with so many people for contacts either.

it could be, it could also be the radio. I've heard high power radios with very low power modulation.

Doesn't work like that on sideband in the main. You could turn the mic gain down to 1% and as long as it was putting out enough power for your signal to be received fairly strongly, you would sound just as loud as you were if you had the mic gain at 100%. The only difference would be the signal strength. As long as you're putting out what power you set on voice peaks it doesn't matter what the mic gain is set to as long as its not set too high.

The Real Challenge

West coast US to East coast Australia is a daily thing . The trick is to get a contact away from ch 38, too many big power stations to compete with, 35 is the Aussie call ch." 853 downunder Brisbane"

East coast U.S. - not west coast - to anywhere down under.

And how about some Kiwis getting into the mix...maybe Te Awamutu, New Zealand to the states.

That would be impressive.

Me and two of my friends were talking one night on CH 32 and someone in Rhode island heard us and said were were coming in Q5 copy. Not one of us was running big radios. All i was running was an old 23 ch realistic with added crystals into my 5 element beam.

I have made contacts to Puerto rico on 25 watts, north Carolina with 25 giving him 9+ when he had to give me 100wats to make 2s units.. it is amazing how skip works

The guys that use all that power get their kicks putting the other guy on hold.........^^ ab v c^^

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.