• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Base Jogunn 8+8 Star series

The20poundhammer

May 23, 2016
McKee Ky
Ok guys we know the gain claims and all that hype are not correct. Has anyone modeled one of these to get real world facts and answers. I know their construction is top notch and the older i get the less i want to take a beam up and down. So any info first hand or through a modeling program will be appreciated greatly..

Reactions: G GOLLY WAlly

Glad you brought this up, I'm interested in the JoGunn line of antennas myself, but all you read is people bashing their claims. I would like to hear from a real world user as to what they think of JoGunn performance.
I'm sure I will read plenty of good and bad about them but I don't care as long as the opinion is from actual use and not just a opinion of what someone assumes of their performance.

I had a 5+5 Star up back about 2000 or so and i was really impressed with the construction. I changed over to a 4 element quad which works great but ice is not their friend lol. I am going to put up a large antenna of some kind and am looking hard at this one.

Reactions: G GOLLY WAlly
I had a 5+5 Star up back about 2000 or so and i was really impressed with the construction. I changed over to a 4 element quad which works great but ice is not their friend lol. I am going to put up a large antenna of some kind and am looking hard at this one.
Screenshot_20200520-215039_Samsung Internet.jpg I was wondering about this Gizmo Big league series, sounds like they're constructed a lot like JoGunn, but this advertisement is all I've seen or heard of them

Reactions: Slowmover
Im wondering the same. Im interested in the jo gunn antennas but there is a lack of reviews and the reviews i do see arent good.
So far its a toss up between jo gunn 4 star, 4 cross or a maco. There just arent enough user reviews on any 10/11M beam antenna

Excellent both dx and local and rejection was very good as well. I'd still be using it today but I had to move and sold it. Very easy to adjust vswr
Had it on a light weight 45' crank up tower

Here is a JG Star 6.

Edit: this is a bad model and I will try and fix it later.

Attachments

• JoGunn Star 6 Vertical.pdf
    288.8 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Reactions: Tokin
The horizontal on the jo guns and more like vertical due to the inverted V configuration.
So if you do not care to much for having true horizontal polarization then they work as they should and built like a brick outhouse.
Not to broad banded as to be expected for short boom length.
Just depends if it is going to be installed in bad weather area and if the cost is not a matter.
There are better performing yagis but I don't know if are any better rugged built yagis out there unless home brew

Last edited:
Reactions: Slowmover
I am no expert at this by any stretch of the imagination.
I'm just looking at the numbers Marconi posted.
The Front to Side pattern is only 5 Dbi different @ roughly radiation angle 35 degs.
This to me sounds strange, as this means at that radiation angle it is damn near an OMNI.
I can see the Vertical pattern would be good, due having two strong capture angles (strongest at the lowest angle/another @ roughly 35 *) on the front pattern.
The other I noticed, judging by W8JI's theory that a dipole at aprox. that height has roughly 8 Dbi gain. This tells me at best, the front lowest angle pattern is barley over 7 Dbi better than a dipole, which(to me) would be fairly low gain for a 6 element beam.
I must be misunderstanding the numbers, but this seems to me strange.
DB and/or one of the other antenna guru's please explain!
I also do not understand how there can be almost zero difference in the Vertical/Horizontal pattern, as both are feed with Gamma match's (just from different locations) to me means the entire antenna, all elements segment's are active in both polarities. (Vertical and semi/Horizontal segments)
I guess I just do not understand this design, to see how the Horizontal pattern is even being generated.
The antenna to me in the Horizontal pattern is a Gamma matched inverted V.
This is by no means a true Horizontal pattern.
OK, I'll wait to hear from the experts.
I am at a loss to see how this things works as a TRUE Vertical or/and Horizontal pattern Yagi.
I am certain I'll learn something (which is always a good thing!:D) when they explain.
All the Best
Gary

Reactions: Tokin

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated