• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Johnson viking ranger

That model is the first ham radio I ever repaired for anyone other than myself.

A high-school buddy wanted to install an antenna-transfer relay inside his Ranger. Didn't want to have to use an external Dow-Key relay the way Johnson intended.

His first step was to install a SO-239 in the rear panel for the receiver-antenna jumper output.

He took a half-inch drill bit to the rear apron of the chassis. When the bit penetrated, it caught the edge of the hole and pulled itself into the transmitter.

Right into the rear section of the band switch.

Gary was quite annoyed. I volunteered to fix it. I had found that if all the broken ceramic pieces were present, they would fit back together just fine. A bit of high-strength epoxy and some heat to thin it's viscosity would make the ceramic wafer good as new. Fortunately the drill bit had missed the contact points and they were all still good.

Worked just like it should once the damaged switch section got reinstalled.

Boy, was that a long time ago.

Shacks,you all are lucky,i had a shelf in l8ving room,i outgrew it.
I bought a 3 shelf service cart at harbor freight,installed my radios in it. Im making a cover to go over whole thing.
She can see whats in it but i shuffle 3 cb radios from my storage shed to be un noticed.
Her sense of humor is sourbut she buys more dvds than i buy radios. Thats diffrent watch em 1 time n they get stored.
As for my service cart,i say i got a mobile radio shack

Reactions: Tweetybird
There was a man who had many firearms,radios,fast cars and mud digger 4wds plus motorcycles with lots of fishing equipment.
He married this beautiful lady
Second day she gave him a letter stating he had to sell everything so he could devote all his time to her. The next day he presented a letter to her from a great divorce lawyer.....
Problem cured

There was a man who had many firearms,radios,fast cars and mud digger 4wds plus motorcycles with lots of fishing equipment.
He married this beautiful lady
Second day she gave him a letter stating he had to sell everything so he could devote all his time to her. The next day he presented a letter to her from a great divorce lawyer.....
Problem cured
20200210_115517.jpg

My bathroom wall has this posted....so they are sure to read when sitting down to pee.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.