• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Just reconnected with a long lost radio friend after more than 30 years.

Captain Kilowatt

Professional Amateur
Staff member
Apr 6, 2005
Nova Scotia,Canada
Waaaay back when I was still in school, about 33 years ago, I used to talk with a station in Mogi des Cruzes a suburb of Sao Paulo Brazil. We used to talk every day when possible and we made over 125 contacts. This was on the regular 23 channels back then. Ismael brought several of his friends over to speak with me and one of those is Francisco who was a ham operator even way back then. His call was PY2XDJ. I did not have a ham ticket back then. After getting my ticket in 1989 I kept looking on QRZ over the years for PY2XDJ but was unsuccessful. A few days ago I looked again and there it was PY2XDJ and the operator was Francisco. The same Francisco I had spoken to many times over 30 years ago. I emailed him using the email info on QRZ.com and he remembered me. We have since exchanged a couple emails. Many years ago he changed call signs when he upgraded his ticket but a year or two ago he was able toget his original call sign back. that is why I could never find him until now. My other friend Ismael whom I talked too about 125 times is now a very big doctor in Sao Paulo specializing in microbiology and gynecology/oncology. He is no longer in radio but Francisco is going to contact him and get me his email address. I knew he wanted to be a doctor when we had contacts but the last of it he was just starting in university.

Amazing that just on a simple whim and a common interest two friends can be reunited after more than 30 years. This has made my new year get off to a happy start. (y)

Reactions: 4 people

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated