• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Just setting up first base unit: need help

You could send it to a shop and see if it is worth fixing. They should be able to give you an estimate.

This radio chassis tells me that it is the kind that will drift off freq until warmed up. Same chassis as the Galaxy DX99V I use. It will work quite nice if you want to get it restored to working order. Just so long as the estimate doesn't exceed the cost of a used radio in decent shape. I'd send loosecannon a PM and ask him if he wants to do the estimate and work. He is a repair guy here on the forum. Or maybe to a shop closer to where you live, so long as they have a decent reputation.

But don't expect any shop to give you an estimate without sending it to them and checking the radio out first.

Personally, I think the radio is worth it.

Having a decent SSB mode radio is highly recommended - IMO . . .

This may sound crazy but if its fixable, I'm hoping to be the one that fixes it. its just in my nature. I have to appropriate soldering tools for the job and some experience soldering and repairing circuitry. That's the fun of a hobby like this, learning absolutely everything I can involving it. I'm not in a rush to get it working I can take my time and learn what I need to know to do it correctly without barking it up. I won't even really be able to use it until after I get my ticket anyhow, since I want it for the side band.

A wiring schematic for this unit would be a godsend though. I'm gonna be googlin' my butt off.

But if I can't bash my way through it I may look up Loosecannon.

I probably don't have all the gear to align it, but I am more than willing to use a shop for something like that. but for getting it up and running I would like to be the DR.Frankenstein that resurrects this old beast.

Thanks for the service manual Link that is going to be unbelievably helpfull. (and annoying to my wife as I scatter all my electronics repair gear throughout the office instead of the garage since I am not ruinning back and forth while I'm trying trouble shoot this thing.)

those "cut" wires arent supposed to be hooked to anything, see that manual has been helpfull aready, now I dont need to spend 2 hours searching for cut wires or tampered solder points.

Last edited:
so at this point I know 2 things. I need a little screw to attach the first loose object, the band PCB (circuit boad # EPT004410Z)

and then to find some steel out in my shop to make a suspension bracket for the frequency counter ( part EPT210014C)

after that I guess I'll have to wing it a little and try to get all the pine sprills out of the board, a little compressed air and some tweezer action should make short work of that....... I hope.

Stopped home for lunch, nice for a change. I picked up two books from the library this morning "All about ham radio by Harry Helms AA6FW" and "The beginners handbook of amateur radio third edition, by Clay Laster W5ZPV" just glanced at the first one a bit, it seems super remedial but I am going to read it cover to cover anyhow.haven't cracked open the second yet. I'll probably do some reading when I get out of work.

I probably don't have all the gear to align it, but I am more than willing to use a shop for something like that. but for getting it up and running I would like to be the DR.Frankenstein that resurrects this old beast.

Thanks for the service manual Link that is going to be unbelievably helpfull. (and annoying to my wife as I scatter all my electronics repair gear throughout the office instead of the garage since I am not ruinning back and forth while I'm trying trouble shoot this thing.)

those "cut" wires arent supposed to be hooked to anything, see that manual has been helpfull aready, now I dont need to spend 2 hours searching for cut wires or tampered solder points.

I'm still learning about radios but from what I've learned so far is these export radios need to be modified to work in the CB 11 meter band. Depending on the radio it could be as simple as cutting a wire or trace and or adding a jumper. Other mods use a plug a play style connections. So before you start reconnecting wires back together do some research to see if they were meant to but cut for some mod done to the radio.

The web page may be of some help to you. Galaxy Radios DX88HML Service Manual Never used it myself.

All though I've fairly recently purchased a soldering iron and stuff I've yet to get brave enough to attempt to mod any of my radios. :D
I did try re-soldering a trace on my old (10+ year old) Maxon HT but the radio still doesn't work. It's not worth it to get the local shop to fix and reprogram.

ok question: I hit a contact tonight less than 1/8th mile away, and he says I was really crackly and spattery, he was kind enough to record it and play it back for me. it sounded like crap. really crunchy, like I was talking through a bowl of rice crispies, the first few words were only a little crackly and compressed sounding and the longer I spoke the worse it got.

any suggestions as to what I should look at on my device? I tried switching mic's no difference.

there is a football game going on in front of my house (I live next to the football feild) I am wondering if it may have been interference from equipment set up for radio broadcast at the game? but the other guy was clear as day so I doubt that's the case. other wise my reception would probably be as bad as my transmit right?

More than likely you are just over driving the radio. Turn the mic gain down. Or if using an amplified mic, turn that down too. It doesn't take much to be 'too much'. Distance makes very little difference. The closer ones just hear more, the signal is stronger, not as hard to hear that 'too much' audio thingy.
- 'Doc

I did dial back my mic gain and it didn't change anything, But I can turn it back more, I will try that again (or more rather). I do not have a powered mic, its pretty much a stock mic I think.

That often happens when cb'ers run down their car battery. Get a multimeter and check the power supply voltage

dxChat
Help Users