• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Just setting up first base unit: need help

we have had sporadic thunderstorm activity the past couple days so I havent had the gear on. also expecting the hurricane to come up the east coast so I am going to take my antenna down until the storm passes. its all disconnected I just need to pull the base screws out and tuck it in my garage.

The alternative most of us are stuck with is finding someone who has the knowledge about such things and getting the idea across to them what you want to do.
- 'Doc

That's what forums like these are for. so I can come dig around in your (the collective Your.) brain and use your knowledge/experiences to my benefit. Sounds greedy when I spell it out like that. But I am not always the student in the scenarios such as this, I am about as close to "expert" on the care and propagation of marine corals as I care to get. I definitely don't know it all about them all, but I know more than average, on that subject.

I am looking for the ABC's of linear amps, what they do, how they do it, the pro's and cons of using them. information such as that to start, I don't really care to know how to build one or anything that advanced.

the first thing is to understand is that it takes a rather substantial power increase to make a real difference on the received end . even doubling power will very rarely make a contact that you could not make befor . 10 times the power makes a noticeable difference though . a typical radio with a little 2 pill amp behind it is very very cost effective .

Power in Perspective

bias class is also important , ill suggest something with a class AB bias since you'll be using a modulated signal

Classes of Amplifier Operation

Linear amplifiers. Let's cut to the chase here. I suspect that what you will want (and need) is at least a "2-pill" amplifier. However those can be problematic in terms of quality, both in design and manufacture. In my experience, stay away from "low-drive" amps. That is any amp that requires 2 to 5 watts drive for full output. Yes your CB today may put out only 4 Watts, but you might get a more powerful radio tomorrow, and you will have problems. My recommendation? Get at least a 2-pill amplifier that runs 2SC2879 type transistors, or equivalent mosfet types. This amp will be marketed and marked "High-Drive". An example of this amplifier is the Texas Star TX 350/350HDV. The reason you want the higher drive capabilities is that this amp will handle all the power you will ever put into it, and put out a clean, undistorted signal. An important factor here is that you want Class AB bias. This fact is important.

Buying a non-amateur linear amp is like buying a pig-in-a-poke. You have no idea what you're getting. To be honest, most CB-type amps are scrap.

When buying a CB-type amp, it is extremely important to determine it's bias class, and what devices (pills) are inside.

A "high-drive" amp can be driven by any radio, no matter it's power. a "low-drive" amp can only be driven by a low power (i.e.: 4W ) radio, and will cause distortion, splatter and trash when driven by any more power than 4W.

So... the lessons today... high-drive amps, using 2SC2879 or equivalent, Class AB bias. The rest is mere details.

Tomorrows lesson: beefing up your cars electrical system to handle the amp. Running the amp in the house? You will need at very least a power supply that can supply at least 40A.

just pulled my antenna down for the coming storm and I was eyeballing it, it looked longer than 18 feet to me so I measured it, its the 2000 not the 99, its just shy of 24 feet. hmm fancy that.

I'm going to have to check my power supply and see how many amps it can handle.

Edit: my power supply is only a 20 amp 13.8v unit. I wonder why the previous owner had both cb and amp wired into it. I disconnected the amp when I set it up, but he said he was running both... now I'm totally confused.

I'm going to have to check my power supply and see how many amps it can handle.

Edit: my power supply is only a 20 amp 13.8v unit. I wonder why the previous owner had both cb and amp wired into it. I disconnected the amp when I set it up, but he said he was running both... now I'm totally confused.

For every 100 watts out of a linear, you need about 12 amps from a power supply. For 300 watts - like a 2 pill/2sc2879 transistor amp - then 36-40 amps are needed. These are just well-known and established facts.

I would say that he was running a 100 watt amp and radio with a 20 amp supply. You could do that with 20 amps. If he ran more power than that; then he wasn't getting nearly all of the power out of his amp, overheating the power supply to the point of failure, and popping fuses constantly.

You are assuming that he knew what he was doing. If you have a two 2sc2789 type transistors in the amp you have, you just need a bigger power supply. If the transistors are a lower power output variety/type; then the amperage draw will be much less.
No if's and's, or but's . . .

VA3WS recommended a 40 amp so the power supply would have a easier load and last longer . a 20 amper may run what you have , but it will be at its peak power output when you talk and that will shorten it's life . also , most PS's are rated at their max amperage , not their continuous ability which is always less .

well I don't plan on buying a larger power supply anytime soon so we'll just leave the amp out of the equation, for now.

thanks for the help on that mess guys.

anyone familiar with the ranger RCI 6300F turbo? thats the other radio I got from him that looks like its in working order. I want to get my ham ticket before I hook it up though since it states right on it a license is required to operate it legally in the us.

no ssb , probably not gonna find many hams using AM on 10 meters FWIU . you may find some cbers on am to talk to , but don't use your call sign when you do ........ its illegal for a ham to talk to someone on ham frequencies that is not licensed them self .... except to tell them it's illegal for them to talk on that frequency without a license , FWIU .

what power supply do you have ? you can most likely get another 20 amp PS and bridge them together to power the radio and amp and be just fine , and that'll be cheaper than getting a 40 amper ;)

The only Am activity you will find on ten is up around 29.100MHz and the FM repeaters require the radio to have +/- offset`s and are up in the upper end of ten.
You would be better off with a all mode radio, AM/FM/SSB/CW if you plan on getting your ticket.
The Radio`s that are sold as Ten meter radios that only provide AM/FM are (as said before) really targeted at the CB market, they can easily be converted to run on CB/Free band frequency's.
You could Probably sell both of the AM/FM radios on E Bay, and buy a decent All mode rig for what you get for them.
Also, what kind of amp is it?
Picture?

Jeff

the amp is a silver streak 150. can't put up a pic right now I seem to have lost my camera somewhere in the house. there is another amp in the collection of stuff I got from him as well. when I find my camera I'll show a pic of all the gear I wound up with.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Hamvention this Weekend!!!!~ See link above
  • @ nomadradio:
    Hello from Dayton. Well, okay. Kettering.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    Wow I did not know this was here until just now
  • @ c316buckeye:
    no conditions in ohio