• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Just setting up first base unit: need help

Found my camera

006.jpg

rear shot of "silver streak"
009.jpg

the silver streak also has a switch on the back labeled SSB/AM pardon the messy work shop, I work on everything from motorcycles to cars to carpentry to welding to chainsaws, and I am generally a pretty busy guy. I try to keep it semi organized but "sweeping up" seems to take the lowest priority....

I'll get a picture of all the other gear piled off to the side...

Last edited:
Galaxy 88. ( the Pluto was all black face)
I would concentrate on fixing that radio. SSB is a great mode.
Not saying the connex or RCI are bad, but you are just limited to two modes.

Jeff

Attachments

• Galaxy_88.jpg
    Galaxy_88.jpg
    243.3 KB · Views: 1
i second the nomination for the galaxy 88, i loved mine and make many contacts with it. there not very stable on sideband so you do have to mess with the clairifer a little as its warming up but that's pretty much needed when ever you are talking on 10m. people are everywhere not just the few active dx cb frequency's.

the galaxy is missing the outer case and has a bunch of parts floppy dinkin around inside it. I don't know enough to know whether it is fixable or not. I'll have to look into that some more. a case/shell is easy enough to create if it is in fact fixable. (good call on the galaxy 88, that is what it is.)

I'll snap a shot of whats all loose and maybe you guys can tell me if it might be frigged or not.

I'll have to vacuum all the pine sprills out of it and hook the loose parts to something and see if it gets juice. I think the loose parts were just mounted to the shell that has been removed. although I can't imagine some one tearing it apart if it was working fine. unless they though they were modding it some how.

maybe if I get the galaxy working I can throw the connex in my truck for roadin'

the wilson 1000 mag mount should make a good antenna

yeah I have heard pretty much nothing but good things about them so I am not disappointed about getting it. I just need to figure out a more long term goal for my base then I can work on going mobile. I don't care if my mobile is straight AM CB. but for my base I want all the bells and whistles.

Galaxy 88. ( the Pluto was all black face)
I thought the radio in my picture was black face??? :confused:
I would concentrate on fixing that radio. SSB is a great mode.
Not saying the connex or RCI are bad, but you are just limited to two modes.
Agree! And you get the Technician pert of the 10M band, for when you get your ham ticket. For anything other than
strictly the CB band, SSB is the way to go.

I'll look into the galaxy a bit in the near future. maybe tommorrow, I actually have a full day off for the first time in months, one in which I am not obligated to "go help" some one do some thing that is exactly like what I do for work.

plus with the storm I should be holed up all day.

Edit: I forgot to mention I have been doing a lot of recommended reading on ham operations and requirements for technician class license. after about a solid hour of cramming I passed one of the practice tests floating around on the interwebz. definitely a lot more reading to do but I'm amazed that I passed on the first go round (practice test)... I'll probably do more reading and try and nail the info so I am closer to 100%

I should be able to get some pictures of the galaxy's guts that are hanging out tonight.. we weathered the storm alright up here but its been crazy cutting up downed trees. I didnt even lose power here but there are still tons of people without power all over our state.

Ok here we go with some pictures.

in photo one this is one piece that just flopping loose in the Galaxy d88HL I have founde where it mounts it was pretty much a no brainer there is a little clip about 3/4 of the way back on the left side, just missing a screw.
001.jpg

second photo holding it where where it mounts
003.jpg

the second part thats all loose is this one, the unit appears to be missing a bracket or case mount or cross bar you know something for it to attach to. there is no place for a bracket to mount below it, so it has to be from above or the sides, most likely above, guessing from the layout. (and yes its sitting on my bike the work bench was full for the moment)
002.jpg

me holding it where wire memory makes it want to sit
004.jpg

I noticed there are a couple wires cut off a harness I'll get a picture and trace them down to their possible source and see whats no longer connected.

Image of the cut wires..
006-1.jpg

The other wires coming off that harness go to

Red: AM/FM/USB/SSB knob
Orange: different location on AM/FM/USB/SSB knob
black: runs to the Band select knob
larger black with tiny white combined wire runs to position (hard to read but I think its) C107 on the main board. but that just may be the transistor position nearest the clip
Green: HI/LO band button

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Hamvention this Weekend!!!!~ See link above
  • @ nomadradio:
    Hello from Dayton. Well, okay. Kettering.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    Wow I did not know this was here until just now
  • @ c316buckeye:
    no conditions in ohio