• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Just Want To Say Hello...

Four Eyes

Feb 9, 2016
Oakland, CA
Hello Everybody,

I am new to this site and relatively new to radio communications in general. I've had a CB in my truck for the last few years and have slowly been learning how to both properly set it up and make it perform better. Recently, I set up a base station at my house. In the first hour after set up I made multiple DX contacts more than 1500 miles away! That was pretty exciting. Now I'm more hooked that ever.

I came across this site while trying to troubleshoot many an issue with my various CB setups. So far, this site has been amazing in the amount of information it provides. So I signed up (also, the site cut me off from lurking unless I created a profile). As I mentioned before, I am pretty new to radio and, as I imagine is relatively common, I have been experiencing a few issues with my setups. But that is a conversation for many a future post.

A little bit about me. I live in Oakland, CA and work mostly as a mechanic and carpenter. I love all things structural, functional, and mechanical, but am interested in all sorts of activities. Unfortunately, electronics have always been slightly more difficult for me to comprehend. This makes the world of radio communication a bit more challenging for me to wrap my brain around. Especially when trying to figure out what modifications have been done to my most recently acquired classic radio (I just picked up a Cobra 148GTL for a song that has all sorts of stuff done to it. Once again, another post).

I have two current setups. My mobile is a Cobra 29 WX NW ST with a Astatic 636L running through 18ft of Firestik RG58 Fire Ring coax, and a hood mounted 4ft Firestik II FS in a Firestik dome mount with both a spring and quick disconnect. My base station is a Cobra 2000GTL with an earlier Astatic D-104 running through an RF Limited DF3000 Low Pass Filter, 150ft of RG8X coax (2 sections of 75ft with connector), an MFJ-915 Line Isolator 1:1 Current Balun, and an Imax 2000 mounted at 27ft high.

Thank you all for the information you have already provided that has helped me throughout my learning about radio communication and thank you in advance for the help I'm sure you will provide in the future.

Just wanted to say hello,

Four Eyes 687 Oakland, CA

Reactions: 2RT307

Hey 2222! Yeah totally! Thanks again for that modulation advice for my D -104.
It seems to be working much better on ssb now.

Thanks for the welcome neighbor!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.