• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

K40 antenna

CDX197

Apr 2, 2005
Nebraska's cornfields
Know im gonna get alot of hell but i am thinking about getting a K40. My friend has one and he sounds great in the mobile. He talks barefoot on the mobile on sideband and sounds great. So think im going to get one. Any opinions on this antenna. And i know its a 10K world but im getting a K40.

The Wilson does not use a lossy capacitor to match the cable to the coil. K40 claims you can run 500 watts PEP into the K40. I had a friend put 150 watts AM into it and it blew. If you are running low power the K40 is ok, but for more than that a Wilson 1000 or 5000 would be a better choice.

K40 vs Wilson 1000

The K40 was a fine antenna. The quick disconnect was real neat and it was one of the first real performers on the market.

It is NOT a knock off of the Wilson antennas as the K40 came first.

It does use a small capacitor in the base of the coil. According to a letter I received directly from K40, this antenna will handle 200 watts. I know people who have ran more than that with no problems. I know people who have run less, and blew the capacitor, which is used to match the coax to the feedpoint of the antenna. It is a good antenna, but the Wilson 1000 is better!

Wilson did tests between them and the K40 specifically because the K40 WAS the antenna to beat! Wilson did.

If you buy a K40, you will get a fine antenna. If you get the Wilson 1000, you will have a better antenna!

My experience with the K40 goes about 5 deep. Every single coil cracked at the cone due to hitting overhead trees and drive thrus. The whip on the K40 is heavier.

Now go make an informed decision! :)

Agree with everyone else here...The K-40 I had was the mag.mount. Did ok, but the Wilson (5000) had better recive. And first time I hooked-up a amp to it...it blew! (amp was a Messenger driver amp.1-pill) K-40 blew @ about 150w.

Wilson 5000 mag.mount later died too...coil broke inside it's case...least I think that is what happend, something started rattling around in it,and my swr went to hell...

Dont know about where you live, but K-40's are hard to find around Dallas...Most all ya see, are Wilsons, and Firestic's...(corse all the Big-Boys have 10K's)

As long as your using under a few hundred watts or just a stock maybe tuned radio ? The K-40 would do you just fine. I must agree that the Wilson's are a step up from the K-40s but like you said ,your buddy sounds great on his and they will get the job done depending on whatever that job may be ? Before the Wilson's there were K-40s ,but that was then and this is now,they both cost about the same,I'd personally go with the Wilson all the way. Good Luck to you. Switch Kit

Alright. Thinking about it i want to get a coil antenna. Anyone have one that i could pry run close to 300 watts with. Dont want to get expensive. Just something that will let me talk!

Here come the can of worms!

It is MY informed opinion that using ANY big-coil antenna will actually degrade performance over a full size 1/4 wave whip.

If you MUST run a loaded antenna using a 3/8 stud mount, I would go this route;

Wilson 2000
Wilson 5000
Predator 10K mobile

Your power requirements do not dictate running anything bigger than the Wilson 2000.

I still recommend the Wilson 1000 roof mount over everything else!

bones on my car its just how chief said and in that order, i will throw in another comment THE K40 ANTENNA FOR ALL ITS CONVENIENCE IS STILL THE WORST PERFORMING 60"+ CB ANTENNA I OR MY BUDDIES HAVE EVER COME ACROSS IT CANT EVEN LIVE WITH A VALOR HALFBREED EITHER PARKED UP OR MOBILE dont read the bs adverts from k40 customers go do your own tests on your own vehicle, imho they are too bendy while moving and poor while stationary as tested on several different cars and mounting position.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.