• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

k40 or sirio p5000

The RG303 is what Sirio recommends. I have been out of the hobby for 25 years. When I was in it the only coax I was aware of was RG8 and RG58u. At that time mini 8x was just coming into vogue.

Yes I know it is what THEY recommend. But it is not the best cable to use with it. I do not have a BEST coax recommendation, just what works for me and my application. Some research on types of coax and the specifications should answer your application questions.

What mount did you use with that 200LMR?

I used the 145 pl mag mount. The coax is easy to change out. I am no fool, I wasen't about to drill a hole of that size in the roof for anything. And since I run under five bills it does just fine. Those that run a higher wattage will benifit from having it hard mounted.

I used the 145 pl mag mount. The coax is easy to change out. I am no fool, I wasen't about to drill a hole of that size in the roof for anything. And since I run under five bills it does just fine. Those that run a higher wattage will benifit from having it hard mounted.

I got the 145 mag mount when I bought the antenna from H&Y.

I would use it. It works well.

Ok thanks! It's just that after all the research I've done,I learned that hard mounting is best and that for some reason,a mag mount doesn't work as well. When I first mounted my K40 base load mag mount antenna I couldn't get yhe SWR to stay the same. I contacted K40, they said that i had a floating ground. to ground the case of the radio to metal. That solved the SWR problem. As soon as it stops raining I'll take down the K40 and install the Sirio. I was wondering if I put the K40(not hooked up)at the back if the roof,would that make it a reflector?

Ok thanks! It's just that after all the research I've done,I learned that hard mounting is best and that for some reason,a mag mount doesn't work as well. When I first mounted my K40 base load mag mount antenna I couldn't get yhe SWR to stay the same. I contacted K40, they said that i had a floating ground. to ground the case of the radio to metal. That solved the SWR problem. As soon as it stops raining I'll take down the K40 and install the Sirio. I was wondering if I put the K40(not hooked up)at the back if the roof,would that make it a reflector?

Hardmounting for all intensive purposes is better. But for those that do not want to drill a hole in their roof the mag is also a good choice as long as the power stays below 500 watts. mag mounts acheave their grounding through capacitive coupling.

I do not think it would work well if used as a "reflector. I think you will have a reflect problem at best.

Thanks! I'll reflect upon that. I read two different opinions on that and yes I've read about capacitive grounding. There are those that disagree. My K40 works fairly well except when the base where the coil locks on base attaches gets wet. The SWR goes up. There's some guy twenty miles from me that uses a two pill amp on his K40 and he's doing pretty good with his setup. He has a friend if his who hand builds amps for him.

Last edited:
Thanks! I'll reflect upon that. I read two different opinions on that and yes I've read about capacitive grounding. There are those that disagree. My K40 works fairly well except when the base where the coil locks on base attaches gets wet. The SWR goes up. There's some guy twenty miles from me that uses a two pill amp on his K40 and he's doing pretty good with his setup. He has a friend if his who hand builds amps for him.
Those k40's are not what they used to be years ago. Your better off using the Sirio. You will be glad you did.

Reactions: 2 people
10-4 on that. I bought a new K40 recently. Kept the stinger, the rest went in the trash.

Such a foul product now. Used to be fairly decent back in the day.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.