• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Kenwood radios ?...

I like the transmit audio of my Kenwood TS-520, and use it with W2IHY gear. It is much bassier than any of my other rigs, so I have to crank the EQ down quite a bit. Still want to add a 830S to the shack...

CK, where should I listen for the AM guys? I understand there are some real nice sounding stations out there on old equipment.

Brett

I like the transmit audio of my Kenwood TS-520, and use it with W2IHY gear. It is much bassier than any of my other rigs, so I have to crank the EQ down quite a bit. Still want to add a 830S to the shack...

CK, where should I listen for the AM guys? I understand there are some real nice sounding stations out there on old equipment.

Brett

In the AM portions of the bandplan- at the band edge..

Having good sounding AM audio in my opinion is sad..
We aren't supposed to broadcast, and the money you wasted on that equipment could have been better spent buying a more modern rig.

520 and 830 is ancient technology..

We aren't supposed to broadcast, and the money you wasted on that equipment could have been better spent buying a more modern rig.

$100 for the DX-60, HR-10 matching receiver, HG-10 matching VFO and changeover relay. MD-421 was free as someone dropped it on-stage and gave it to me as not working. A wire was broken off inside on the EQ roll-off switch and the Altec-Lansing preamp was kicking around the junk box for years. No other gear required for really nice audio. Where is all that money I supposedly wasted?

The problem is that most people think they need a full rack of gear when in fact they have no clue what is needed and use money to compensate for a lack of knowledge.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person

:blink: Um, ok. We all have our own opinions.

Brett

Brett

Well if you can shoehorn in on 3885 there are some BIG stations in New England on the air. just listen for the belching and farts and you will know that it is them. LOL Sunday mornings there is a net on 3725 AM I think. Either that or 3635 but I don't think you can go there. It is here in Canada where we don't have such restrictions.

Some people just don't have the knowledge, patience or desire to transmit quality audio. The funny thing is, people complain if you sound like hell and they complain if you sound too good.

And yet they still manage to sound better and have a better receiver than most modern radios. Go figure. I have a "modern radio" and the TS-820S has better TX audio without any mods or add ons and the receiver will stand up to adjacent signals better. It has a REAL RF speech processor too instead of the inferior audio type processors that modern radios have. It may lack the WARC bands and memories but all in all it is a better performer.

And yet they still manage to sound better and have a better receiver than most modern radios. Go figure. I have a "modern radio" and the TS-820S has better TX audio without any mods or add ons and the receiver will stand up to adjacent signals better. It has a REAL RF speech processor too instead of the inferior audio type processors that modern radios have. It may lack the WARC bands and memories but all in all it is a better performer.
CK I totally agree, my 101ZD runs cirules around my 706MKIIG. Reciever is better, TX is better and operation is better (no menus!). The 706 is a great rig but the 30 year old Yaesu is better.

The funny thing is that manufacturers the last couple years have been spewing praise for their "new" IF level processors or their "new improved" roofing filters. The "old technology" had those thirty years ago and they were just standard then. Nothing special.

I absolutely LOVE the receive on my 520, and it's a no frill rig as you know. No weird phased sound like the DSP I have on my IC718. I would like to have IF shift and a notch filter, and the ability to run a narrow SSB filter, hence the reason I am wanting an 830.

If you haven't already, take a look at Receiver Test Data and see just how the old Kenwoods stack up against the new rigs. I can appreciate all the bells and whistles of some of the new rigs, but what sounds best to me is what matters most. My TS520 that I purchased for 125 bucks has been one of the best additions to my shack!

Brett

People are swayed by shinny things. Want a waterfall on your radio? Put this near it -
rock_cave_waterfall_outdoor_fountain-1.jpg

Reactions: 2 people
I a I can appreciate all the bells and whistles of some of the new rigs, but what sounds best to me is what matters most. My TS520 that I purchased for 125 bucks has been one of the best additions to my shack!

Brett

AMEN.

I have tried the bells and whistles rigs. the sub menus inside menus shack in the boxes. The cover the whole bench big rigs, dsp and pretty pictures on the display.

I keep coming back to the older rigs, all the controls on the front of the rig, mechanical filters, mic gain controlled by a knob not a push button menu.

The SWAN 700CX, Kenwood TS 820, and 830, the Yaesu FT-102 are the rigs of choice in my shack.

I have newer more modern rigs, they mostly sit on the shelf.

Reactions: firerunner
I thought of something last night at work. It is funny how Browningman was bitching about old technology when the last Browning radio was sold before my "ancient technology" TS-820S was even made. :LOL:

Reactions: 4 people

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated