• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Kenwood radios ?...

I have always like the ssb audio quality of the TS-520. I have 3 of these. However I have grown to like the sound of my Yaesu FTDX 560. Rig really has a punch.
And for AM, well the Johnson Ranger I and Viking II.

Everyone should have a big Johnson..........

Attachments

• IMG_20171118_105216.jpg
    IMG_20171118_105216.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 180
Last edited:
Kenwood still has a line of automotive audio equipment.
Had one in my previous SUV, great sound

Bullshipper!!! I get excellent reports on my Yaesu's (new an old)....not many days go by someone stops and says...what are you running the audio is outstanding!
Those reports and numbers are like the Sherwood reports on receivers...
Don't mean squat , they have no TRUE bearing to what a rig sounds like "on the air"
It's all about matching one's voice characteristic's to the radio, what filters are added, and how the operator run's said rig(s)...
Now in regards to the EASY operating TS-590!!!!
...just a bells and whistle added 570...
The ergonomics of the 590 is no where close to the FTdx3000D....the Yaesu is much easier to operate and sounds better on both TX an RX.
The Kenwood(Panasonic)group of radios other than the $7000 TS-990 has seen no new innovations or serious improvements in the last 20 years...
Price wise the TS-480HX is their best equipment, in their radio line-up.
I ran Kenwood's for 20 years but when they basically sold out the Amateur division and stripped the R&D dept in lieu of business radio market.
The Amateur gear suffered almost until death.
But ultimately whatever you like...but until KWD dumps their present Amateur Plan and starts looking like they care about Amateur radio again...
I won't give them a second look.
And if you like all that fancy garbage on an outboard computer screen that's OK also..
I hear and work them first...the rest of you get in line:rolleyes::D
MHO:love::whistle::)
All the Best
Gary
Your taking it the wrong way. I never said or implied that Yaesu's and Icoms sound bad, it's that they can have a dirtier signal than others. This leads to IMD and adjacent splatter beyond what should be allowed.

Many times we all have had people up to 5Khz's away or more splatter in on us and it's annoying and bad operator practice. There are different reasons why this occurs but a radio like the one's shown in the lab test report is more likely to do it.

Judging a radio by on air reports only and accepting thats as credible and accurate as cbers with their Davemade splatter boxes bragging about how clean their audio is because their buddies tell them so.

This has nothing to do with how your signal shows up on a spectrum analyzer. But, the tightest audio signals don't mean you'll have the best audio either.

If you don't want to believe published tests and reports that's fine but 5/9 RST/ great audio (or the RPCT Rabbiporckchop test can you hear me now) isn't very scientific.

By the way, the Kenwoods and Elecrafts don't have the fancy screen and waterfalls the burn out one day and leave you with a 10lb door stop, they are all radio with many of the tools needed to get the job done.

The 590 and Elecraft aren't the prettiest radio's compared to the prettier newer LCD screen ones but beauty is usually skin deep.

You should try the SDRplay with your radio. I think you would like a large screen mouse clickable pan adapter. Plus you can use it as a sub receiver.

All the best Gary and maybe we'll cross paths on the air soon!

Last edited:
Reactions: 338_MtRushmore
Ok I'm pretty new to ham radio compared to all you old timers :LOL:. I have heard what I think is good audio from all the different brands and bad. I think for the most part it's how that person sets up his or her radio for their voice. As far as dirty signals I a ftdx-3000, ft-857d and never been told by anyone that I am splattering all over the band. II also have a ts-430s it was my first ham radio I bought it for 100.00 and got good use from it and loaned to a buddy to use until he could get a radio. I also got god audio reports on the Kenwood. But no where near as many good audio reports that I have had with the ftdx-3000. I have had a lot of operators ask me what mic I am using and up to just lately just the stock hand mic and most can't believe it. Now that being said I do have a awesome radio voice :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:, just kidding actually I was very lucky to be talking to a guy that had been in the radio broadcasting business and he owned the same radio and knew it WAY better than I. He spent 20 minutes or so WALKING me through the menu and when done I had 3 other hams tell me that my audio was good at the start but don't change anything that we had just done. So setup is probably the most important part of your sound quality. Just my opinion and like I said i'm very new to the hobby. Recently I upgraded to a electro-voice RE320 which I have been told sounds really good and I am happy with it. Many on the site here have heard my new mic setup and I trust their opinions and have learned A WHOLE BUNCH from them all. Just my 2 cents, but unfortunately you guys have got me interested in getting a older tube radio, the XYL won't be happy :LOL::LOL::LOL:. 73's all hope to hear you on the band!

I use mine mostly portable so no desk to hide it under but I do turn it away from me. I like the amp but not the fan I may try a variable resistor in line I rarely talk for long periods of time and have never felt it get very warm so far.

Just read this whole thread from the beginning to present. I have gone through many changes in my rig line-up since the start of this old thread. I still love the old tube gear, but also appreciate the new technology. Menu's aren't bad once you set everything, and I like outboard audio, too. But I can appreciate the sweet audio from an old Kenwood TS-520 with an MC-50 just as much as I do a Flex with a full rack of audio gear and a mic that cost 2 grand. Honestly, they all sound pretty darned good as long as they aren't over driven or over compressed. It's a hobby, and I really do enjoy it!
Brett

Just read this whole thread from the beginning to present. I have gone through many changes in my rig line-up since the start of this old thread. I still love the old tube gear, but also appreciate the new technology. Menu's aren't bad once you set everything, and I like outboard audio, too. But I can appreciate the sweet audio from an old Kenwood TS-520 with an MC-50 just as much as I do a Flex with a full rack of audio gear and a mic that cost 2 grand. Honestly, they all sound pretty darned good as long as they aren't over driven or over compressed. It's a hobby, and I really do enjoy it!
Brett
I believe it was you that gave me the idea to running the SDR play with my Kenwood on another thread awhile back. I'm glad you posted your experience with it.

Now if you convince BJradionut it's not such a bad thing! (y)

Reactions: 2RT307
Anyone know of a good resource to figure out Kenwood models. I'd like to get another older one, but I'm having a hard time figuring out what is availible as far as age and features.

Goggle kenwood hybrids.
Then google each model.
Tons of reviews, pro and cons
common failures etc etc

I can save you some trouble .
TS-830S
The "gold" face has the filters installed from the factory. If you don't CW a bunch you won't miss them.
TS-830M
Actually has and AM board in it .
It will take a detailed article to explain the audio processing in the Kenwood but a much better explanation can be found from K4EAA or K9TW.
I'm sure you can spend a bundle on a microphone but the MC-50 works fine .

For a more bare bones operating experience, the 520-530.

look here http://www.k4eaa.com/types.html

I know the most about the 830 as I own one and have serviced several . I decided on the 830 because of my urban noise environment and proximity of a of other stations. The transmit audio was a given :)

Reactions: 338_MtRushmore
I have the 820 and 830, I really can not tell the difference between them on receive, then again my ears are not what they used to be.
But both seem to be very sensitive and really enjoy listening to them.
Kenwood audio is always top shelf on transmit, MC 50 mic as mentioned is way to go.

https://www.google.com/search?sourc.....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..15.0.0....0.h_9X0zeegw4

About 528,000 results

a lot of results, don't limit yourself to just one site and individuals opinion.

My TS-820S sounds great with the MC-50 microphone. The receive is great as well. i also have a TS-520 but haven't really used since I bought it several years ago. About two weeks after I bought it I loaned it out to my former boss who became an SK last year. I got it back and haven't even hooked it up yet. I REALLY need to reorganize my shack and especially the operating desk.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated