• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Kenwood TM-V71A RX/TX CTCSS Programming Issues

charleshatten

Feb 24, 2014
Well here goes. I am new to ham radio. I am using the MCP-2A to program my TM V71A. The frequency sheet that I am using has RX and TX freq. My question is (example) freq RX154.1900 TX 154.1900 has a RX CTC110.9 and the TX has a CTC 100.0 however the MCP-2A allows me to check the CTC , but I can only input one CTC # I am at a loss. thanx

154.1900 mhz isn't an amateur radio frequency that we can use as far as I know. I think that's in the public service spectrum. You're not doing any hamming there are you? The hams that like to use those frequencies usually wind up featured in the FCC Enforcement log.

charleshatten

I am a volunteer Search and Rescue for my county. The freq's that I am programming are authorized for me to load into my radio for possible use when dicatated by my county DEM or Sheriffs office.

No, they are not 'authorized' for your use with a radio that's not certified for Part-90 service, and that ham radio isn't certified. (You can do all the listening you want though, just leave out the CTCSS.) The Sheriff can't authorize that radio's use on pub/serv frequencies. He can certainly authorize your use of those frequencies with an approved radio though. Not the same thing at all. Sorry 'bout that...
- 'Doc

I was an EMS administrator in Southeast Ohio. We turned a blind eye, as did the local volunteer fire chiefs, police chiefs and surrounding sheriffs on the issue of dudes using their own radios

Some of us discussed possible liabilities associated with using a non issued radio. Mostly worried about one of these radios failing, when all the while, a perfect working tax payer issued radio is left sitting on the truck. We also discussed the possibility of running afoul with the FCC concerning these radios being used under our license. Again, we were aware of all kinds off possible outcomes, but we didn't capitulate either.

During my tenure as Chief, I required that employees wishing to carry their "ham" HT's on duty, must also, have a county issued HT with them. I carried that way as well. I also, would not approve any costs for replacement if damaged.

Last edited:
Let's just say for argument's sake, you've got the one and only V71 with a part 90 sticker on it...

First, has it had the Mars mod to allow it to transmit in the 150's like you need it to? If it's box stock, you're going to have to start there or it won't TX out of the amateur bands. There's a "how to" in the modifications forum for it.

Since different RX/TX CTCSS tones on the same freq aren't really used (much if any) on amateur bands, it's not a feature on that radio. Odd, but a couple of my dual banders WILL do it, but the TM-V71A, not so much...

There's two ways to skin the cat using the V71. The first is just ignoring the RX ctcss. Worst case is you're going to get some low level noise if you're "at altitude". I highly doubt that you'll have active use on the same frequency, in the same area, using different tones to mute each other out. The agency that I play with has mountain tops as high as 10,000' that are just 150 miles North of the Mexican border. Even up in the 170's you'll hear "chicada, chicada, chicada" from over the border if you don't use tone squelch. Check your area. You're probably fine w/o it.

Second would be to set up separate TX & RX channels, both with their correct tones, and run them side by side on VFO A and VFO B. Rx on one side, TX on the other.

Last edited:
The Part 97 - the rules that governs amateurs is not written to cover other radio services.

The rules in the Part 97 however are very explicit, they say that we can use surplus equipment from other radio services, but not until they are rendered useless in the other radio services.

We can't use our equipment - dual purpose - on both the public service frequencies and the amateur frequencies.. Not even on the Citizens Band - even if we reduce our power output to 5 watts.

Public Service - all equipment must be narrow band emissions, and that equipment has to be certified for use - by not only the manufacturer but by a two way radio shop before it can be used.

Your amateur equipment is not compliant from the standpoint that as long as it is front face programmable - it can be easily changed from narrow to wide band. It cannot be used for Land Mobile Radio Service, PLMRS....

Those frequencies are a part of the MURS - are not allowed to have more then two watts ERP...

Crosley,
Right general idea but a few mistakes.
Any equipment can be used on the amateur bands as long as it meets Part-97 criteria/standards. It does not have to be disabled for other services (the one it came from), you just can't use it there without the proper licensing. If something is manufactured in the USA for commercial sale for any particular service it has to meet the standards of that service and certified by the FCC, not a two way radio shop.
If a piece of gear is certified for commercial service, that device can be used on the amateur bands AND that commercial service -IF- you are properly authorized to do so. Several of the newer 'Chinese' HTs are certified for Part-90 use, and just happen to be usable on the ham bands too. They are entirely legal for use in both instances.
- 'Doc

Reactions: 2 people
The Kenwood would require a MARS CAP modification - if not done from an authorized dealer - it would void the warranty.

To have it done, you would be required to provide a copy of your MARS License. At least that was what I was told by Ham Radio Outlet.

Part 15 - Radio Frequency Devices

Many hams believe that all devices regulated by Part 15, including transmitters and digital devices, are "type accepted" by the FCC, with testing in the FCC Lab. Type acceptance has actually been written out of the FCC rules. Devices that were Type Accepted under the old rules are now subject to Certification or a Declaration of Conformity. To obtain Certification, a manufacturer supplies test data to the FCC, usually from a laboratory that the FCC knows and trusts, and Certification is usually issued on the basis of the test data and other information about the product. In a Declaration of Conformity, the manufacturer issues a formal statement to the FCC that the device has been tested at an accredited laboratory and that it complies with the rules.

Although the FCC can call in equipment for testing, in almost all cases, the FCC does not actually perform testing on equipment covered by Part 15. They usually review information and test data supplied by the manufacturer. Most computing devices are subject to Certification or a Declaration of Conformity.

Type Acceptance: Similar to certification, except that it typically applies to radio transmitter equipment that will be used in a licensed radio service. Devices subject to type acceptance include: land mobile transmitters such as cellular transmitters, or police, fire and business transmitters; transmitters used in the maritime and aeronautical safety services; and CB and other transmitters used in the Personal Radio Services. Amateur Radio transmitters do not require type acceptance although external HF power amplifiers and kits do require type acceptance.

Verification: Verification is a self-approval process where the applicant performs the necessary tests and verifies that they have been done on the device to be authorized and that the device is in compliance with the technical standards. If you don't have the equipment to verify that the radio only operates Narrow Band Only - it is not compliant!
Not everyone owns a service monitor, nor does a amateur radio operator normally need one.. This guy can't even program his own radio - I don't think he has any experience using electronic test equipment.

47 CFR 90.203 - Certification required.

§ 90.203 Certification required.
(a) Except as specified in paragraphs (b) and (l) of this section, each transmitter utilized for operation under this part and each transmitter marketed as set forth in § 2.803 of this chapter must be of a type which has been certificated for use under this part.

(b) Certification is not required for the following:

(7) Transmitters imported and marketed prior to September 1, 1996 for use by LMS systems.

(e) Except as provided in paragraph (g) of this section, transmitters designed to operate above 25 MHz shall not be certificated for use under this part if the operator can program and transmit on frequencies, other than those programmed by the manufacturer, service or maintenance personnel, using the equipment's external operation controls.

(f) Except as provided in paragraph (g) of this section, transmitters designed to operate above 25 MHz that have been approved prior to January 15, 1988, and that permit the operator, by using external controls, to program the transmitter's operating frequencies, shall not be manufactured in, or imported into the United States after March 15, 1988. Marketing of these transmitters shall not be permitted after March 15, 1989.

(g) Transmitters having frequency programming capability and that are designed to operate above 25 MHz are exempt from paragraphs (e) and (f) of this section if the design of such transmitters:

(1) Is such that transmitters with external controls normally available to the operator must be internally modified to place the equipment in the programmable mode. Further, while in the programmable mode, the equipment shall not be capable of transmitting. The procedures for making the modification and altering the frequency program shall not be made available with the operating information normally supplied to the end user of the equipment; or

(2) Requires the transmitter to be programmed for frequencies through controls normally inaccessible to the operator; or

(3) Requires equipment to be programmed for frequencies through use of external devices or specifically programmed modules made available only to service/maintenance personnel; or

(4) Requires equipment to be programmed through cloning (copying a program directly from another transmitter) using devices and procedures made available only to service/maintenance personnel.

(j) Except where otherwise specially provided for, transmitters operating on frequencies in the 150-174 MHz and 406-512 MHz bands must comply with the following:
(1) Applications for certification received on or after January 1, 2005, for mobile and portable transmitters designed to transmit voice on public safety frequencies in the 150-174 MHz band will be granted only if the mobile/portable equipment is capable of operating on the nationwide public safety interoperability calling channel in the 150-174 MHz band. (See § 90.20(c), (d) of this part.) Applications for certification received on or after January 1, 2005, for mobile and portable transmitters designed to transmit voice on public safety frequencies in the 450-470 MHz band will be granted only if the mobile/portable equipment is capable of operating on the nationwide public safety interoperability calling channel in the 450-470 MHz band. (See § 90.20(c), (d) of this part.)
(2) Applications for certification received on or after February 14, 1997 but before January 1, 2005 will only be granted for equipment with the following channel bandwidths:
(i) 12.5 kHz or less for single bandwidth mode equipment or multi-bandwidth mode equipment with a maximum channel bandwidth of 12.5 kHz;
(ii) 25 kHz for multi-bandwidth mode equipment with a maximum channel bandwidth of 25 kHz if it is capable of operating on channels of 12.5 kHz or less; and
(iii) 25 kHz if the equipment meets the efficiency standard of paragraph (j)(3) of this section.
(3) Applications for part 90 certification of transmitters designed to operate on frequencies in the 150.8-162.0125 MHz, 173.2-173.4 MHz, and/or 421-512 MHz bands, received on or after February 14, 1997 must include a certification that the equipment meets a spectrum efficiency standard of one voice channel per 12.5 kHz of channel bandwidth. Additionally, if the equipment is capable of transmitting data, has transmitter output power greater than 500 mW, and has a channel bandwidth of more than 6.25 kHz, the equipment must be capable of supporting a minimum data rate of 4800 bits per second per 6.25 kHz of channel bandwidth.

(4) Applications for part 90 certification of transmitters designed to operate on frequencies in the 150.8-162.0125 MHz, 173.2-173.4 MHz, and/or 421-512 MHz bands, received on or after January 1, 2011, except for hand-held transmitters with an output power of two watts or less, will only be granted for equipment with the following channel bandwidths:
(i) 6.25 kHz or less for single bandwidth mode equipment;
(ii) 12.5 kHz for multi-bandwidth mode equipment with a maximum channel bandwidth of 12.5 kHz if it is capable of operating on channels of 6.25 kHz or less;
(iii) 25 kHz for multi-bandwidth mode equipment with a maximum channel bandwidth of 25 kHz if it is capable of operating on channels of 6.25 kHz or less; and
(iv) Up to 25 kHz if the equipment meets the efficiency standard of paragraph (j)(5) of this section.
(5) Applications for part 90 certification of transmitters designed to operate on frequencies in the 150.8-162.0125 MHz, 173.2-173.4 MHz, and/or 421-512 MHz bands, received on or after January 1, 2011, must include a certification that the equipment meets a spectrum efficiency standard of one voice channel per 6.25 kHz of channel bandwidth. Additionally, if the equipment is capable of transmitting data, has transmitter output power greater than 500 mW, and has a channel bandwidth of more than 6.25 kHz, the equipment must be capable of supporting a minimum data rate of 4800 bits per second per 6.25 kHz of channel bandwidth.

(n) Transmitters designed to operate in the voice mode on channels designated in §§ 90.531(b)(5) or 90.531(b)(6) that do not provide at least one voice path of 6.25 kHz of spectrum bandwidth shall not be manufactured in or imported into the United States after December 31, 2014. Marketing of these transmitters shall not be permitted after December 31, 2014.

Knowing this - how can you tell me that I am wrong and that you are right!

If it is capable of operating on wide band, or if it is easily programmable - without the aid of a RIB - Motorola, or LMRS technician and proprietary software - it is not legal for use in the LMRS bands...

Even Motorola is a little iffy - due to the fact that Motorola can sue someone for having the software if they are not licensed to have it - even if it is obsolete.

The sad part about all of this is the fact that as an amateur, the Part 97 says that you must follow all the rules in all the radio services, not just the amateur radio service.

This means that you cannot transmit with more then 3 WATTS AM or 12 WATTS PEP on CB radio, nor can you break any rules in any other radio service - such as transmitting on GMRS frequencies without a license.

Modifying your amateur radio equipment to operate on the LMRS bands would be breaking the rules - which would make you liable for forfeiture of your amateur radio license because you would not possess the prerequisite necessary to be a commissioned licensed operator.

"§ 90.203 Certification required.
(a) Except as specified in paragraphs (b) and (l) of this section, each transmitter utilized for operation under this part and each transmitter marketed as set forth in § 2.803 of this chapter must be of a type which has been certificated for use under this part. "

The key word in that is "marketed"! If you build something for yourself it does not have to be FCC certified/type accepted in the amateur service. It can be -able- to do a lot of things, the catch is that you just can't do those things in the amateur service. There are no particular limits to it except in the -use- of that equipment. Lots of 'lee-way' there.

Part-97 only covers the amateur service, has nothing about, says nothing about any other service. If you are doing something in another service that isn't covered by Part-97, there's no problem in doing so. If you are trying to use a 'ham radio' in another service then you are in violation of -that- service's regulations. There is a 'catch' if you violate other service's rules. Part-97 does have a thingy about denying a license because of felonious violations. Doesn't specify what type of felony, any kind would fall in under that provision. That's the regulation that says you ought'a stay legal, right??
- 'Doc

Reactions: 2 people
The Kenwood would require a MARS CAP modification - if not done from an authorized dealer - it would void the warranty.

Not so. Every major amateur radio manufacturer I know including Kenwood, Icom, Yaesu, and Alinco have stated that simplly performing the MARS/CAP mod will NOT void the warranty unless in performing that mod something is done that results in inproper performance of the unit. In such cases the owner may have to pay for service work performed and it is possible the mod may be reversed.

To have it done, you would be required to provide a copy of your MARS License. At least that was what I was told by Ham Radio Outlet

Manufacturesr do request that authorized dealers request proof of a MARS/CAP license however not all comply with this. It is pretty much a moot point nowadays as IIRC CAP requires narrow band FM and MARS requires a high stability TXCO neither of which most current amateur radios come equipped with as standard but in the case of the TXCO as an option. One which most amateurs do not bother with in which case their MARS radio is non-compliant.

Every major amateur radio manufacturer I know including Kenwood, Icom, Yaesu, and Alinco have stated that simply performing the MARS/CAP mod will NOT void the warranty unless in performing that mod something is done that results in improper performance of the unit.

Years ago had a DJF1T HT that during the warranty period developed a out of lock problem, radio had already been opened for extended TX/RX.
Called Alinco, got a RA# and two weeks later I had it back in working order no charge.
There was a model of Yaesu that I can not recall right now.. It simply involved flipping a switch.
I do not think any of the big three are too concerned about it as they have provided an easy way to expand them.

Jeff

Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.