• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Kenwood TS-430s SSB wattage????

Phil501

CDX-501 back in da mix!!
Apr 6, 2005
Western Nevada
Hey guys, I have a question regarding my Kenwood TS-430s. I know you can control your SSB wattage down by turning down the ALC (mic Gain). Do any of ya's know of a variable pot and if so on wich board of the radio to turn down PEP wattage on my Kenwood TS-430s. I'd like to turn it down to around a 25w PEP on SSB besides the ALC control. I know on my Kenwood TS-930s after recieving radio. Somebody turned it down to a 50w PEP and I did get the variable to turn it back to factory 250w PEP......Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks

cool np had to make some calls on this...
it says there is nothing for the SSB power..just a main power drive..
and not to over do it as setting the SSB over 100% will distort it
I also was told that radio has a half power switch..thats like a RF power Pod,whats wrong with that 100/50 watts?
and if you change the VR you can prob cut that in half..50/25
maybe!

Hey Lords, thanks again for the info on VR. I've searched everywhere on the web with no results. Left posts at various forums and no answers. We'll try to turn it down sometime this weekend. 73's for now 8)

Thanks to EDUK8TR for the guiding light on this ;)

yep and here is some info on it! from them
sorry can only look at 1 read per 24hours as they say without donating

This modification allows the squelch control to vary the power of the TS430s from a couple of watts to full power. The squelch control still operates on FM mode but is disabled on SSB. [ not very useful anyway.]

Remove top cover of transceiver. The main board on show is the IF unit. Locate socket 26, with front of set towards you socket 26 is to the left of the board about midway back to front.
Cut the wire to pin 6 leaving about 3cms wire on the plug. This wire is usually brown. The wire tail from the plug has to be connected to ground, This enables SSB receive, pin 4 is ground and can be used.
The brown lead you have just cut comes from the small PCB behind the squelch control. It runs to pin 6, socket 6 on this board. It is the end pin to your right looking from the front of the set. Pull this brown wire free of the harness so that you have a free lead from the plug.

Locate R211, a 1K resistor which connects the source of Q41 to ground. From the front of set.. right hand side, towards the front of the board. Cut the ground side of R211 leaving sufficient lead to solder to.
The ground side should be the top end of the resistor, but check. Take the brown lead from the squelch board, suitably shortened, to the resistor. The squelch control , SSB section, is now in series with R211 and gives excellent control over the RF output level. Replace cover. Job done.

In use, Maximum power is with the control fully anticlockwise.
With the squelch pot set anticlockwise and the set in CW mode, Transmit a carrier [ you will need to short the key jack] and set the carrier control for full power. You can then vary power on all modes using the squelch control.
Check the carrier control setting required for different bands, it will probably vary slightly between 160 and 10 metres. The protection circuits will still operate as before but if running low power the set will tolerate poor aerial matching without using the protection circuits. ;)

this might help you to and if there is a RF power knob that will lower it along with the mic gain:) ts430 info

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.