• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

kenwood ts-440s 11mtr mods?

Rogerbird1

Apr 24, 2002
Massachusetts
rogerbird.tripod.com
Hey, Grate deal...Some times you can just step in thngs like that.

11m mod..

1. Remove the 2 countersunk screws that secure the front panel to the chassis.

There are 2 on each side.

2. Gently pull the front panel forward.

3. Remove the five small round head screws that secure the shield plate to the front panel.

There are 2 on top 3 on bottom.

4. Remove diode D80. Its located in the corner near connector 54.

also for 10Hz resolution Cut Diode D66.

5. Reassemble the TS440S

6. Reset the CPU. {Press and hold IA = IB and turn power on}

That should do it!

Rogerbird

</p>

Slim,

These rigs can sound VERY good on AM. The best I heard was using a Echomax 2000. Set the master gain on the EM about 1/4, then work with the mic preamp on the rig and drive, takes a little playing, but will sound great.

Wm. Warlock "671 in Va"

Rollingradios@aol.com

Nat. Rep for XForce/Magna Force Customer Service and Support

</p>

i am searching around myself,but just in case there are different variations on this ,i want to be able to compare them.

i went to an auction (thur.morn) to bid on CB stuff; well,i was

looking around and it was all 23ch stuff.i was dissapointed,but

just as i were walking away,i saw this brown box under a CB

antenna with the letters TS-440S! i thought to myself,hhmm?

went to open the box and well the original tape was still in

place on the shipping carton.i cut it open and to my delight

there she was;brand new,never opened,never used,still had

the warranty regiatration card there too! i really wanted it but she'd go for more than my measly $100 that i had brought;or

so i thought! i don't think "anyone" there new just what that

rig was(or worth). i got that sucker for $45!!! i couldn't believe

my ears or eyes. then to top that off,i got an ASTRON 25A

continuous/35A surge power supply for $15!(mdl#RS-35M)

man was the good lord lookin' out for me!! and believe you

me,i thanked him,over and over and over! now if i could just

get the time to mod it for 11 meters before the contest starts!

prolly not but oh well,it'll still be fun,dxing w/y'all. thanks guys and take care out there..................SLIM CDX-285

</p>

Reactions: Grizz420
Man it sounds like I’m a salesman for Inrad, but if you check out there website they have the Kenwood newsletter that used to be put out. It has all of the mods and tweaks for them. If there is a ham radio club near you they probably have a library with them in it.

The next time my wife lets me play radio at the house I’ll check them out and see if there is a section on 440’s I can copy.

</p>

I have a 440s and everybody tells me that the am sounds like crap!
what do i need to check or do to make that change?
I clipped the diode for am tx, but I'm not sure where to set anything else.
i have to keep the mic gain about 2/3, anything above that they cant understand me, anything below that its to low.
is there something i need to check?

TS-440 AM TX

Drop the carrier power to around 20 / 25 watts, reduce the mic gain to eleven o'clock, speak in a normal voice and observe the slightest ALC meter deflection.
Works for me!

These and the TS-430S can sound excellent on AM 25 watt carrier and playing with audio to find the sweet spot usually when needle just starts to wiggle when speaking into the microphone as you start to slightly add mic gain.

I remember using a sadelta style desk mic on one years ago and man that thing barked!!!

Sorry to bring back a dead thread, but I just got a 440s. Nice radios. Excellent receive!!! Have yet to transmit on it. Checked everything out and it works great. Only tested into a can of oil though:)

It is good that you brought it back. I was wondering myself what kind of mic i should use with my ts430s.

The rig has issues at the moment, but as soon as i get it serviced i will be looking for the propper mic to use with it.

Any ideas gentelman??

It is good that you brought it back. I was wondering myself what kind of mic i should use with my ts430s.

The rig has issues at the moment, but as soon as i get it serviced i will be looking for the propper mic to use with it.

Any ideas gentelman??

Shure 444D or M...
Heil GM-5 (wide setting) for SSB...narrow for AM(no prostrasher)
Good to See you posting here MS...(y)
All the Best
BJ

Reactions: 1 person
Thanks BJ, it's nice to post here. i just hope that i can help out someone when the need it most.

The mic i will be looking for will need to be a mobile as i will only be using my rolling hf station.

Thanks again guys.

Kenwood ts 440 power adjustment

Hello all.I had a 440 years ago and loved the rig but someone wanted it at a time that I needed a few bucks so I sold it.Now I bought another one in great shape but the power is a little low on SSB,about 40 watts.Does anyone know how to adjust it so I can get at least 90 watts out of it again?
Thanks,Dave

:)
First, how are you doing the measuring of that power?
Put it in CW, turn the carrier control up to maximum, what's the power reading? Switch to SSB and you'll be doing the same power.
Of course, if the thing has been 'adjusted' internally, all bets are off.
- 'Doc

My, my! This is an old thread. Those '440's are still the same though, so most of the stuff here still applies...

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated