• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

kenwood ts-440s 11mtr mods?

When I see a thread for modifications on a ham radio I'll read it and maybe reply to it as well. The Kenwood radios are often overlooked because of Yaesu and Icom being cheaper these days. I bought a TS-440 for $100.00 and was surprised at how good it sounded.
It is fully functional and I use it mobile from time to time.

Reactions: 025
I have two ts 440's, a ts-850 and a ts-50 and all of them talked on 11 meters when I bought them. My ts-50 would not talk AM on 11 meters. Reports said it sounded really bad. I went into the menu and turned the audio down to "low" and turned the power to 10 watts and that worked great.
I would suggest running lower power and audio with any of the HF rigs. I talk mostly SSB on 11 meters.

I think you will find that with Kenwood radios the max power on AM is 1/4 of it's rated power on SSB. There's a very good reason for that and you gain nothing by going over that power level. They can certainly be modified to do more than the 25% of max, but there'$ a penalty for it!
Another hint for Kenwoods is concerning the processor. 'Crack' the thing open -barely- and don't every go very high with it. It is very 'touchy'.

Doc is right a 100W SSB rig...max carrier on AM (Ancient Modulation) is MAX 25 watts...NO Prostrasher (leave it OFF) and audio set to where it just tickles movement in the ALC range...Then try it...other wise it will sound like you have your head and Mic in a Fishbowl full of water:LOL:
All the Best
Gary

When I see a thread for modifications on a ham radio I'll read it and maybe reply to it as well. The Kenwood radios are often overlooked because of Yaesu and Icom being cheaper these days. I bought a TS-440 for $100.00 and was surprised at how good it sounded.
It is fully functional and I use it mobile from time to time.
Thats a smoking deal. I see them sell usually over 350

Kenwood ts 440 power adjustment

Hello all.I had a 440 years ago and loved the rig but someone wanted it at a time that I needed a few bucks so I sold it.Now I bought another one in great shape but the power is a little low on SSB,about 40 watts.Does anyone know how to adjust it so I can get at least 90 watts out of it again?
Thanks,Dave

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated