• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Kind of Sad, Dead CB Area or Confusion.

Glad to see your hittin the Xmit button and having fun brownstone.

In time you will get a "feel" for when you can pop in on A conversation.
I did hear 2 drivers going back and forth, one mentioning he just became a grandfather. Their signals were fading pretty quick, and did not have a chance to call out "Breaker 19, congratulations driver".

Sometimes ill key up and see who's out there. I hit some hard rain once coming back from Milwaukee. It stopped abruptly (as if God was using a squeegee), and just keyed up "im glad THATS over with". I ended up talking to that driver for a couple of miles.

Traffic jams are also great for "Rag Chewing". Drivers will talk about anything and everything to help pass the time.

yeah i got a good antenna 4' fire stick II and 18' fire flex.
the firestick is a 'ok' antenna at best.i bet a wilson 1000 would almost
double your signal and recieve.your cb will only talk/recieve as good as the
antenna allows.but if ya like the style of antenna ya got
id recomend getting a 5ft. wilson silverload. [non flexable ]version
very close in performance to a wilson 1000.only tring to help
ya get the most out of ya radio so ya can really enjoy it and
have fun.when i moved to a different area i just keyed up
ask for a break ,told them my handle and about were i was
and looking for some locals to talk to. and that was abouty it

whats wrong with the firestick antenna? just wondering i got about 6 locals coming home today on the freeway and people in town.. though it was a quiet day.
i know Wilson a good name in antennas. a mag mount is out of the question due to the fact half the damn car is composite or glass, but just wondering why a firestick is Ok compared to an Wilson of the same size and make.

a mag mount is out of the question due to the fact half the damn car is composite or glass, but just wondering why a firestick is Ok compared to an Wilson of the same size and make.

If your car lacks metal, your ground plane may be insufficient or fairly poor, thereby making a lossy coil loaded antenna even worse.

Pull a "Smokey and the Bandit". Mount a 102" whip off the hatch. That'll get you out for some DX.

:D

lots and lots of questions to get to here, so we will start with the "cb scene", then move on to antennas and such.

these days, cb radio is used for about 4 different things mainly. these are:

1. truckers and highway drivers getting road info, weather info, and truckstop info.

2. hobbyists trying to make contact with far away stations, usually just to confirm that they made the contact, these contacts dont usually turn into conversations. mainly because the skip zone moves around so much.
this is known as "talking DX".

3. locals chatting about daily events or whatever. these are getting few and far between because of number 4.

4. people spreading hate and discontent. this usually comes from boredom, and a lack of ability to play nice with others. most people just like to have a little fun, but some get their feelings hurt easily and take it too far.

sure, you will find exceptions, but they are just that.

if none of these things sound like fun to you, you might be more suited to ham radio, where people tend to be more apt to play nicely, but can be a bit "snooty" at times. (IMO)

i happen to have a lot of fun on CB radio, i joke with people that i have gotten to know on the radio over a number of years.
i talk about technical radio stuff to those that enjoy that sort of conversation. i get and give highway info when needed, and i make long distance contacts to people all over the country.

what i dont do is take it seriously. i never get mad at anyone no matter how annoying they are trying to be.
the way the game works is, you try to get the other person to lose their temper, and the first one that actually gets mad loses.

you said your friends acted like jackasses on the radio and it annoyed you.
let it go dude. dont be so serious and join in the fun. its just CB radio, no one will judge you. LOL

sometimes, when the channel seems empty, i will just key the mic up and say something stupid like, "well, whats really going on!" or something like that.

stuff like that will bring out all the "sandbaggers" (people who just sit in front of their radio listening and never keying the mic) and suddenly there are all kinds of folks keying up and talking.

remember, if people didnt want anyone to hear them, or break into their conversation, they would be using the phone. they are on the radio for a reason, so feel free to chime in.

ok, you wondered about how to get heard and why you are not getting out very far.

first, adding a 100 watt amp to your system would gain you about 2 S-units on someone's receiver. you decide if that is worth the expense and hassle or not.

the two main things limiting the distance your radio can cover are your antenna and your vehicle.
firestik antennas are "gimmicky" in my opinion. they are marketed and sold mostly to the 4x4 guys who use cb's to talk to their buddies while out in the boonies.
these fiberglass antennas are whats known as "helically wound" antennas, and are less efficient than an antenna with a coil and a straight steel whip.
the shorter they are, the worse they get out.
you want an antenna with a coil and a whip that is at least 5 feet long.
(unless you want to run a full sized 102" whip)

the second thing is, your car is mostly fiberglass. the actual antenna is only half of your antenna system. the other half is your vehicle body, which forms the counterpoise or "groundplane".
your car, being fiberglass doesnt provide much of a counterpoise for the antenna to work off of, thereby limiting the distance you can talk and hear.

i would be careful about adding an amp to this vehicle, if you have antenna problems, an amp will only make them worse.

do you have an external SWR meter to check your antenna with?
you really should, otherwise you have no idea weather or not your signal is radiating out from the antenna or coming back down the shield of the coax right back to the radio, and heating it up. possibly damaging the radio.

ok, thats it for now, hopefully i have given you some food for thought and maybe spurred some questions.
feel free to start a thread about any specific radio situation you find yourself in.

later,
LC

good info. very informative.

1) SWR is 1.3 too 1.5 sometimes it bounces around, its been getting stormy around here cloud cover and such my SWR jumps around a bit these days but otherwise, works great.

2)my main question was how to bring out sand baggers and you answered that great. just ask what the hells going on and i see that works better than what i do. ill call for a radio check and just get a hell yeah your clear see yeah bud. compared to what you said, ask them whats going on.

3) my car does have alot of metal, but it does lack key points for a mag mount, id say 70% of the car that is not glass is metal. heres a pic

4) so the firestick II is a great antenna and will do the job, but for that little extra reach, a 102" whip will help, but my setup works good, 100% better than what crap i had before.

100_7071.jpg

100_7076.jpg

this ones before the antenna a while back to give you guys an idea of full car.
102_2633.jpg

Hah, I know all about that model.

Poly bumpers and spoiler, fiberglass doors + hood + fenders.

Here's an option:

You've probably got a little tow hook in the back underneath the car.

Sand off the coating from the hook.
Clamp an extension onto it. You can make one pretty easy.

One long bar of steel + 1 short piece with a bolt through it to clamp it onto the hook. The long piece should stick out past the bumper.

Mount your 102" whip off of that. It'll give you a solid connection to the one big piece of metal on your car (the underbody).

This is exactly the setup I'm going to be using on my Honda CRX.

You'll feel a little ridiculous, but who cares? It'll get the job done.

The receive sensitivity is nutso too.

awesome idea dude. now i know down the road, if i get my ham working or a new ham how
to get a 102" antenna to work on my car,

thanks bud. i dont have money to change my setup right now and im pretty happy with it. but down the road if i plan on changing it i will definitely toy with that idea.

i have an antenna my grandpa used. its like the one i think they used in smokey and the bandit too. but i dont know.

its a brownish gray color. it was a base loaded antenna with black stripe around the bottom. and says "stripes of quality" on it with an a in the stripes.. it needs a new whip to work. but i could so see this mounting on my firebird soon.

whats wrong with the firestick antenna? just wonder
i know Wilson a good name in antennas. a mag mount is out of the question due to the fact half the damn car is composite or glass, but just wondering why a firestick is Ok compared to an Wilson of the same size and make.

firestick2 4ft=400 watts
wilson4ft=750watts plus all have a ground wire built in antenna
ive played with fiberglass antennas alot back in the day why
they are cheap. yes i had the firestick along with the k40
wilson ,skipshooter,. i liked the skipshooter the best
seemed to handle high power .only place that stocks them
anymore is h&y electronics.com.otherwise the wilson
is a good choice. i said this cause if ya wanna add an amp
ya wanna make sure your antenna can handle double of what
your amp is.so if ya got a amp say 300 watts you,ll want
a antenna that handles 600. which the firestick does not.
even the wilson only handles 750,unless ya use a 5ft. wilson
it handles 1000 watts.that would be my choice.this is another
drawback to ANY fiberglass antenna they dont handle as much wattage

you have to take those advertising claims with the smallest grain of salt you can find.

there is no such thing as a 5/8 wave mobile antenna.
i dont know how they came up with the 900 watt figure, but my guess is that the antenna will handle 900 watts for about 2-3 seconds before the wire burns.

im not saying you need to change your antenna. if its working well enough for you, thats all that matters.

as for the radio check thing, yeah, its kind of a newbie maneuver.
folks will ask for a radio check in order to start a conversation and the experienced person on the other end feels duped into talking.

just saying something like, "where'd everybody go?" works better.

glad you're having fun with your radio setup.
be warned, radio can be a VERY addictive hobby.
its been known to ruin a few marriages over the years. LOL
later,
LC

Brownstone,

Nice pics, looking at that metal grain bin in the back ground, an Imax 2000 mounted on top of that big metal grain bin would be SMOKING HOT for an antenna location.

Heck even an 102" steel whip would talk it's as* off mounted on top of that big metal structure, or better yet that machine shed with all the metal roof for a ground plane.

People would think you are running a 100 watt amp instead of just a 4 watt radio.

Reminds me of climbing on top of the silo when I was a kid with my hand held walkie talkie, I could talk to my cousin fishing at the lake, almost a mile away when I was on top of that silo.

yeah i been just saying whats goin on ch 17? and people who wana talk talk and who doesnt doesnt. i would tend to do a radio check, but it would last like 30 seconds and be done.

and yeah i wish i could run an coaxial that far im sure it would act great as an antenna. its full of rotted grain bout halfway up but im sure it would be awesome.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.