• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

KL703 12 V DC Power Terminals

Recon

NY 881
Jul 28, 2019
Up-State NY
I am in the process of attempting to connect the six (6) gauge wires to the weird (to me) terminal block on the back of the amp. There must be a better method. Inserting the wires into the rectangle openings and securing the wires with the small 8-32 / 10-24 screws will cause splitting of the wire strands and I am concerned about possible poor connection and contact.
I have the Anderson Powerpole connectors for the opposite end. This is not my amp and I sure as heck do not want to cause damage due to amp. Is there such a thing as a solder type rectangle male connector / adapter to fit into the OEM receptacle?

Yes, I've tried that, but the problem is the strands are so very thin that they started to melt fast as I was applying the heat. I will probably need to locate 6 gauge wire with thicker strands and that might work out OK.

What are you using? An oxyacetylene torch? There is no way a solder iron or gun will get hot enough to melt even the finest of copper wires. I have successfully soldered 32 gauge wire without issues. Even a tiny pencil type butane torch should be able to solder/tin that 6 gauge if you are handy with it. Been there done that many times. Sounds to me like you are just using too much heat.

Twist them up, and tin it. If you are melting copper, yup the heat is way too high. Even copper coated aluminum should not melt even close to the melting temperature of solder.

Reactions: NZ8N
Twist them up, and tin it. If you are melting copper, yup the heat is way too high. Even copper coated aluminum should not melt even close to the melting temperature of solder.
I've never been bashful (embarrassed, yes) to admit my mistakes. I used a Weller Model D550 200 / 260 Watt Soldering Gun. On my first attempt, I used the incorrect (standard) soldering tip which applied direct and excessive heat to the wire strands! That's when I realized I should have used the tinning tip. Changed the tip and "I'm good to go".

I agree with the about replies but wire ferrules work excellent for this exact application too. They are made for just that type of terminal connection. I started using them in the world of car audio. Screenshot_20230420_092656_Amazon Shopping.jpg
Screenshot_20230420_092629_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

I see what you mean by looking at the back of this thing. So your going to use 6 six gage wires? Why so many? Or do you mean a red and a black 6 gage line?

I see what you mean by looking at the back of this thing. So your going to use 6 six gage wires? Why so many? Or do you mean a red and a black 6 gage line?
One Red 6-gauge wire and one Black 6-gauge wire. 6 gauge has too many strands to twist, tin and insert into the square openings. I removed just enough strands prior to tin so as the wires would fit into the square openings. I'm not in favor of inserting a round wire into the square openings. If I had ferrules, the results would be the same.
Round peg in square opening.

Reactions: 9C1Driver

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.