• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

knight kit t 60 help

Have a VERY close look at that switch. Odds are it's built from wafers of brown bakelite plastic. If you saw where on the switch the arc came from, get a bright light onto that section and see if a black bridge has burned/formed between adjacent contacts. This happens a lot in other radios, but I'm just guessing about seeing that fault in this one.

Ok thanks for the help. N4tbu

Have a VERY close look at that switch. Odds are it's built from wafers of brown bakelite plastic. If you saw where on the switch the arc came from, get a bright light onto that section and see if a black bridge has burned/formed between adjacent contacts. This happens a lot in other radios, but I'm just guessing about seeing that fault in this one.

I checked switch I noticed the brown wafer looked saturated with d oxit which I sprayed on over a year ago. Both wafers. I'm guessing this is a problem

I checked switch I noticed the brown wafer looked saturated with d oxit which I sprayed on over a year ago. Both wafers. I'm guessing this is a problem
Also. The clasp that makes contact with the wafer foil. Is bent and in poor condition. Seen arcing from a rivet that holds the clasp on

Makes it sound more like your short circuit is passing through the switch.

Time to take a meter set for continuity with one lead clipped to ground, and poke lugs on the meter with the other probe ne by one. Rotate the selector while checking each lug. A spot that shows the short no matter where the selector is turned will be connected to your short circuit. The wires leading away from that lug will be your next target. Well, what's connected to the far end of those wires.

Touching the probe to a lug that only shows continuity at one or two positions of the knob gets you close to the short, but you want the lug that shows a short all the time, no matter where the knob is turned.

Time to take a meter set for continuity with one lead clipped to ground, and poke lugs on the meter with the other probe ne by one. Rotate the selector while checking each lug. A spot that shows the short no matter where the selector is turned will be connected to your short circuit. The wires leading away from that lug will be your next target. Well, what's connected to the far end of those wires.

Touching the probe to a lug that only shows continuity at one or two positions of the knob gets you close to the short, but you want the lug that shows a short all the time, no matter where the knob is turned.

Thanks

Checked all lugs on function switch (10) no shorts to ground on any lugs

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.