• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

KNOCKOFF MEGGAWATT

Sonar

Apr 8, 2016
I've read that meggawat is a sponcer of this great site.
I'm ready to purchase a power supply and have read that the knockoffs are bad (not bad meaning good but bad meaning bad).
I've searched the web and found several companies and suppliers of Megawatt power supplies but don't know which one is the real deal (excellent filtering) .
Can someone tell me where to get the real macoy? Thank you. 73
PS Need one to run an ft 950 but would like to run my west mountain clrspeach DSP speaker along with the transceiver. Output suggestions welcomed and appreciated.

Thanks Gary. I will save it on my home page and after a few suggestions on which one ampridge wise I should choose I'll make the purchase.73
Much appreciated. 73
This is the one you want.
556_50_TM_Good.JPG

This is the one you want.
556_50_TM_Good.JPG
After checking out the megawatt site via the link Gary left I quickly decided this might be the one for me.
It's impressive especially for the $110 price tag.
My questions will once again show my ignorance but if I don't ask I'll never learn.
How do I calculate what if any and how many other items i can use at the same time on this power supply? The only thing i have besides the ft-950 that needsan external p/s would be a DSP speaker that uses 12 - 15 volts and what are believed to be 500 millamp or less.
I Don't know if something that requires very low amperage can even be used on this power supply.
I Usually research most of my questions online via the internet but find it's sometimes easier when asked on the form.
I find the answers to my questions easier to understand coming from the members of the site as opposed 2 reading them on the web.
They sometimes get over complicated and use technical terms I'm not familiar with.

That supply is good for 50 amps. Simply add up the current draw of everything you want to use at the same time. If it is less than 50 amps you are good to go. if it is more than 50 amps you either need a bigger supply (not likely) or you just run whatever uses less than 50 amps at a time. Easy-peasy.

Reactions: Sonar
Better off getting a 50 amp so you will have plenty of power to spare for the future since your needs will most likely change. You can always get another one and hook it up in series if you need more amperage.

The MegaWatt P/S are very reasonably priced and live up to their claims of being RF hash free as everybody on this forum can attest to. Having said that, there is no reason to go cheap and waste your time and money with a Chinese knock-off.

ASLO remember to always look at a P/S average or continuous power not peak! This is what you base your needs off of. Many power supplies may advertise 70 amps but that is usually peak and the average power will probably be around 55 amps.

I only use Megawatt power supplies in my calibration lab for radio and linear repair. I have abused them using them for electrolysis on antenna towers in a chemical bath running full tilt for 7 to10 days straight with no degradation in the regulation or current output. I have also used them for electroplating.

I believe you can run the DSP speaker on the same power supply without issues, it's only going to pull as much current as it needs, I don't believe that current is going to be forced into the device so the fact that it only draws 500 milliamps should not be an issue with your setup.

As far as running it on the same tap I have no idea.
I believe you can use it on the same power supply, I would just put it on a different tap.

Somebody please step in and correct me if I'm wrong.

Like I said above, as long as the total current draw from all devices used at the same time does not exceed the rated output of the power supply you are fine. My Tripp-Lite PR-40a supply is rated at 40 amps peak/32 amps continuous and it runs my HF radio (25 amps) two mobile radios (7 amps each) several meter and panel lamps (1-2 amps) and a few more accessories but they are not all used at the same time. IOW I cannot talk on the HF radio and BOTH mobile radios at the same time. I mean TALK as in keyed up but why would you key three radios at the same time? That Meggawatt supply is rated at 50 amps and an HF rig draws 25 at most plus 500 mA for the DSP speaker is only 25.5 amps at most......half the rating of the supply.

Reactions: Sonar and LeapFrog
That Meggawatt supply is rated at 50 amps and an HF rig draws 25 at most plus 500 mA for the DSP speaker is only 25.5 amps at most......half the rating of the supply.
I was trying to illustrate that just because this is a big unit that does not mean his smaller device will release the magic smoke once connected, just because it's only rated to consume 500 mA of current, and the supply is capable of 50 Amps on demand. 12 volts is 12 volts.. I don't think he understood that part.

"I Don't know if something that requires very low amperage can even be used on this power supply." -Sonar

I'm just trying to help Sonar grasp the idea of power consumption/ available power.
I don't mean to offend him, only trying to help explain the small unit will "pull" as much current as needed, and nothing more. It's not like he is hooking up a resistor or dead short to the supply.
My outlet here at home can deliver 15 amps no problem, my vacuum cleaner only "draws" 7 amps, and I never fear it will damage it just because more current/power is available! ;)

Captain I know you understand all this, I'm just trying to clarify for Sonar.

Side note: I suppose using the same tap for both units wouldn't hurt anything. It's all coming from the same source anyways! ...unless each tap has their own capacitor
(I doubt it though, each pos. terminal probably has continuity to the same area inside) ..

Last edited:
I was trying to illustrate that just because this is a big unit that does not mean his smaller device will release the magic smoke once connected, just because it's only rated to consume 500 mA of current, and the supply is capable of 50 Amps on demand. 12 volts is 12 volts.. I don't think he understood that part.

I'm just trying to help Sonar grasp the idea of power consumption/ available power.
I don't mean to offend him, only trying to help explain the small unit will "pull" as much current as needed, and nothing more. It's not like he is hooking up a resistor or dead short to the supply.
My outlet here at home can deliver 15 amps no problem, my vacuum cleaner only "draws" 7 amps, and I never fear it will damage it just because more current/power is available! ;)

Captain I know you understand all this, I'm just trying to clarify for Sonar.

Side note: I suppose using the same tap for both units wouldn't hurt anything. It's all coming from the same source anyways! ...unless each tap has their own capacitor
(I doubt it though, each pos. terminal probably has continuity to the same area inside) ..

I just take for granted that anyone tbat has ever owned a car would understand that. The battery will deliver hundreds of amps but you can still power your GPS or phone charger without harm. It's not what is available it's what is demanded that determines current consumption.

Reactions: 222DBFL and Sonar

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.