• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

KNOCKOFF MEGGAWATT

Unfortunately not everyone has connected the dots in their mind, some will never grow to understand the basic principals of D.C. electricity.
I was one of the lucky ones who got a small book at the book fair about Electronics projects with a small motor and popsicle sticks to peak my interest and get me started also gave me a pretty good grasp on some of the basics like positive and negative, that was the third grade. It took me another 15 years to get the basic principles of alternating current down, maybe I wasn't that lucky. Also I was really distracted in high school!

May this forum help to enlighten as many people as possible, while doing so humbly.
-Sam

i have 3 of them 2 40 amp 1 50 amp. the 50 amp one i dont use yet the fan sounds like a passing 747 i am going to replace the fan when i get time. the 400 you cant even hear the fan. but thr 50 the fan is crazy loud.i dont know if i got a defective fan or what.

Reactions: Sonar
That supply is good for 50 amps. Simply add up the current draw of everything you want to use at the same time. If it is less than 50 amps you are good to go. if it is more than 50 amps you either need a bigger supply (not likely) or you just run whatever uses less than 50 amps at a time. Easy-peasy.
This is why I ask questions here even after reading articles on the net.
Articles on the net are usually overly complicated in there explanations.
Lot's of big technical terms which is good for those who understand those terms .
I think it's apparent to you what the posters level of knowledge is where as putting a question into one's search engine inevitably shows articles without understanding the knowledge or lack there of the person doing the search.
The explanation of how a power supply works and how it can be used is and was easily understood.
I will never have to ask again because I understand. Thank you. 73

but thr 50 the fan is crazy loud.i dont know if i got a defective fan or what.
The 50 amp has a high power density per cubic inch of space. Have to move the heat out or the magic smoke comes out all over the place. You can locate the power supply in such a way that the sound is directed in a different direction. There are other things you can do as well.

I've read that meggawat is a sponcer of this great site.
I'm ready to purchase a power supply and have read that the knockoffs are bad (not bad meaning good but bad meaning bad).
I've searched the web and found several companies and suppliers of Megawatt power supplies but don't know which one is the real deal (excellent filtering) .
Can someone tell me where to get the real macoy? Thank you. 73
PS Need one to run an ft 950 but would like to run my west mountain clrspeach DSP speaker along with the transceiver. Output suggestions welcomed and appreciated.
Sorry for any confusion or misunderstanding with the clones and knock off statements regarding the MegaWatt power supply. I sell on eBay, three accounts, Amazon and our personal website. The personal website has multiple URLs that take you to the same place. The most used URL is www.12voltpowersupplies.us If the power supply has the name MegaWatt on it, it is the real thing. MegaWatt is a registered trademark name with the US Patent Office. Nobody else can use it on a power supply without a big lawsuit. So anywhere you see a power supply with the MegaWatt logo it's real. The clones are identical look-alikes with completely different circuitry which is far inferior and usually made in China. They also have either no name or a different name. I hope this clears up some of the confusion. Since there are so many look-alikes out there I felt it was necessary to point out the difference between the clones and the real thing in my advertising but it does create some confusion.
Thank you, John

Last edited:
Reactions: 222DBFL
i have 3 of them 2 40 amp 1 50 amp. the 50 amp one i dont use yet the fan sounds like a passing 747 i am going to replace the fan when i get time. the 400 you cant even hear the fan. but thr 50 the fan is crazy loud.i dont know if i got a defective fan or what.
The sound of a loud fan is something I'm concerned about.
I'll do a little YouTube viewing and hope I can find the two Megawatt power supplies I'm considering.
I heard for myself the problems that can be caused by a loud power supply fan. A local had just started using his ft 950 with a heil mic and his power supply fan totally detracted from what is a very nice sounding setup. He had to add a long power cord to literally put the p/s in another room.
I have no choice but to keep the power supply on the same desk where my transceiver,.mic, and amp will be placed.
I've done without a power supply for the whole time I've been on the air but now with an hf need one.
Besides the transceiver and possibly my DSP speaker I will have no reason to add anything else.
The 40 amp megawatt will do exactly what I need it to.
Thanks. Very good post reply. You may have saved me some trouble.73

The sound of a loud fan is something I'm concerned about.
I'll do a little YouTube viewing and hope I can find the two Megawatt power supplies I'm considering.
I heard for myself the problems that can be caused by a loud power supply fan. A local had just started using his ft 950 with a heil mic and his power supply fan totally detracted from what is a very nice sounding setup. He had to add a long power cord to literally put the p/s in another room.
I have no choice but to keep the power supply on the same desk where my transceiver,.mic, and amp will be placed.
I've done without a power supply for the whole time I've been on the air but now with an hf need one.
Besides the transceiver and possibly my DSP speaker I will have no reason to add anything else.
The 40 amp megawatt will do exactly what I need it to.
Thanks. Very good post reply. You may have saved me some trouble.73

Some people run the microphone gain too far open and it picks up everything. You should be able to key up on SSB and watching your power meter, see nothing for output until you talk. I keep the mic gain down and talk clearly directly into the microphone holding it very close to my mouth. The television can be on in the next room and my contact cannot hear it over the air.

Reactions: Sonar and vkrules
Yes Sonar the S400-12 megawatt supply will power your HF radio and also a DSP speaker no problem. I use one and I run my Icom 746 and an amplified speaker with mine. So the speaker like yours needs power. And the fan is not that loud. I had mine on my desk within a foot of my radio and never had been told that a fan could be heard. I have since moved it to under my desk as to get some room back on top on my small desk LOL!! At any rate, I am pretty sure the S400-12 should work fine for what you need it for. Not saying the S700-12 isn't a great supply and well worth the money, just giving other options and experience with the smaller supplies megawatt carries. The S400-12 has been a workhorse of a supply for me and the only one I have currently. I've used it for about 3 years now and have never had an issue with it. Plenty of amperage and voltage as well. Again, this is not to say the S700-12 is loud as I don't own one, but I do own the S400-12, and it works well and the fan isn't loud. Hope this helps and good luck with which ever one you get!!

Yes Sonar the S400-12 megawatt supply will power your HF radio and also a DSP speaker no problem. I use one and I run my Icom 746 and an amplified speaker with mine. So the speaker like yours needs power. And the fan is not that loud. I had mine on my desk within a foot of my radio and never had been told that a fan could be heard. I have since moved it to under my desk as to get some room back on top on my small desk LOL!! At any rate, I am pretty sure the S400-12 should work fine for what you need it for. Not saying the S700-12 isn't a great supply and well worth the money, just giving other options and experience with the smaller supplies megawatt carries. The S400-12 has been a workhorse of a supply for me and the only one I have currently. I've used it for about 3 years now and have never had an issue with it. Plenty of amperage and voltage as well. Again, this is not to say the S700-12 is loud as I don't own one, but I do own the S400-12, and it works well and the fan isn't loud. Hope this helps and good luck with which ever one you get!!

well mine sounds like a jet passing over. that is why i am using the 400 not the 50 amp.

well mine sounds like a jet passing over. that is why i am using the 400 not the 50 amp.

so it was a waste of 100 bucks
ill never use it. its in the closet.i tied my 2 400 together works fine this way and the 400 fans are quiet.i used the 50 amp for about 5 min.the fan was louder than my voice.

There are a couple of ways to mitigate loud fan noise. One way is to replace the fan with a quieter one, but that may also reduce the CFM and thus reduce the effectiveness. However, if the cause of the noise is due to loud bearings, a better fan may help.

If you use any linear amps located near your mic, you are going to have to deal with this same problem. The way I solved it was by using the W2IHY EQPlus' Downward Expansion feature. This, coupled with a cardioid mic, careful adjustments of the mic gain and compression make the amp & power supply blower noise non-existent in my TX. If you can't move the blower noise out of your room, you have address it by using other means.

Reactions: Sonar and 222DBFL
Megawatt didn't invent the solid state power supply. Yes there are dozens of manufacturers. Some induce RF and/or fan noise that renders them usless for Radio work. Some are alot more expensive for various reasons, such as longer average run times between failure, longer standby power and medical equipment use. You can sometimes replace the fans with more quiet ones but usually at the expense of less airflow that could lead to a thermal shut downs at higher current demand. Proper placement of these power supplies in the shack is key for noise abatement, but you do not want to inhibit the airflow either by sticking them in a dark corner. Mine are in a large isolated container of sorts. Remember those noisy track-fed printers of times gone by and the foam lined boxes they resided in? Same principle.

Megawatt didn't invent the solid state power supply. Yes there are dozens of manufacturers. Some induce RF and/or fan noise that renders them usless for Radio work. Some are alot more expensive for various reasons, such as longer average run times between failure, longer standby power and medical equipment use. You can sometimes replace the fans with more quiet ones but usually at the expense of less airflow that could lead to a thermal shut downs at higher current demand. Proper placement of these power supplies in the shack is key for noise abatement, but you do not want to inhibit the airflow either by sticking them in a dark corner. Mine are in a large isolated container of sorts. Remember those noisy track-fed printers of times gone by and the foam lined boxes they resided in? Same principle.

no i do not run a amp of any kind. just my 100 watt kenwood radio.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.