• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

largest beam antenna you have seen?

What is the biggest antenna you seen or built? Here is one that I help build 2 months ago. stacked 8s on 50 foot booms and 20' stacking kit this is made from couple of laser 500 by maco. it sets at 2025 foot elevation on a mountain top around 32 feet of the ground.
Do you run a Big Daddy antenna?

A local here had a pair of Laser 500's stacked on an 80 ft tower. She ran a Pierce-Simpson Simba (modified to a 40 channel) with a D104 and a D&A 12 tube Phantom. She was definitely "10-8"! lol

~Cheers~

The largest 11 meter antenna that I have ever seen in person was a set of SE lighting 6 quads stacked horizontal at 100 feet.
It was an incredible thing of beauty.
My old friend Jim Brewer ( double barrel ) used to run a laser 500......my legs and back ached for days after dragging all that dam aluminum up his tower.......

Jeff

Reactions: Bearcat
Large beams = large problems. And from what Ive seen don't work any better, maybe in theory they do. But man they're cool.

Reactions: Oatmeal
Biggest I've seen is a set of stack 5's on a 50ft tower...
Guys name was Bob Adkins, some of you guys who may have talked to him, he went by Dirtybird from wva, he used to talk dx on 28....

I grew up in Bensonhurst Brooklyn. In the mid 70's cb breaks were held at wetsons. Wetson's was a burger joint much like burger king and McDonald's . It was located off cropsy ave and bay pkway. On the way to the sunday break there was a single family home squeezed between two five story apartment buildings on bayparkway and Benson ave.. On top of this single family home was a beam that was the length of the house. I'm guessing 40'. The odd thing was I could never figure out how it could turn. And even if it did turn it never made sense to me because to the east and west it was blocked by these five story buildings which were atlest 20' higher then the beam. I never remember seeing it in any other position than the one it was always in. If it did turn it could only face either north or south without it's signal being blocked by the buildings on either side. This antenna was huge. I know things always seem larger when your small but believe me this thing was tremendous . If anyone knows of this antenna and what it was please inform me.
What is the biggest antenna you seen or built? Here is one that I help build 2 months ago. stacked 8s on 50 foot booms and 20' stacking kit this is made from couple of laser 500 by maco. it sets at 2025 foot elevation on a mountain top around 32 feet of the ground.

Trust me, they do work better.
My old PDL II would outtalk any 11 meter vertical I had up, and my 14 element 2 meter yagi used to get me 200+ mile contacts.

Jeff

Large is a relitive term. My boom is 40' with 6 elements. I wonder about those guys running 90' or more.

Back in the 80's OP here in N FL had a set of moonraker 6's stacked at 160' on top of the tower, awesome sight. ( His occupations was tower work)

He could run with the best of them on the "BOWL " using a Pride DX 300 amplifier.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated