1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
This forum does not allow a single user to have more than one username. If anyone wants to change their username contact an admin and it will be done. Multiple accounts belonging to the same member will be deleted without warning.

LDG Auto Tuners

Discussion in 'General Ham Radio Discussion' started by Highlander_821, Mar 4, 2007.

1. Highlander_821

Highlander_821 Amour d'Ecosse

Anyone have any experience with the LDG Z-100 auto tuners, or any of their other models?

Having just upgraded to General, I was thinking about trying one of these with my Imaxx-2000 and Yaesu FT-847. I know it will be a kludge, but it seems like a quick and dirty way to mess around on HF a little without having to string any wire just yet.

The Yaesu FC-20 auto tuner is about twice the price, and only handles 3:1 SWR, whereas the LDG claims to handle 10:1.

2. Hamin' X

Hamin' X Active Member

I use the LDG Z-11 Pro in the mobile. I have 40-20-25 and 10m resonators on a 4ft mast and get all band 80-6m coverage. Great little box.

Rich

3. Sonwatcher

Sonwatcher Active Member

Highlander, here are some reviews from users that posted on Eham for some different models-

100Pro

11mp

200pro

There are more here

4. Happy_Hamer

Happy_Hamer Administrator
    Staff Member

I used the LDG200 pro, you will be very happy with it. Tuning HF plus 6 meter. It has dual antenna connections on the back so you can use the Imax for whatever it will tune on HF for you and get a cheap 6 meter loop in the air and be on the air.

I was able to tune an IMAX down to 60 meter, of course, we all know, it is not the best antenna for that but were talking about just getting on the air and enjoying whatever you can.

Have fun and congratulations on your new upgrade also.

5. Happy_Hamer

Happy_Hamer Administrator
    Staff Member

OH and by the way, NO NEED TO BUY THE Yaesu adapter either, this thing tunes sooooooo fast the extra Yaesu adapter is a waste of cash.

Go through all the bands you will talk on and key the tuner on AM to use the carrier and let it tune and set that frequency in the tuner memory.

From that point on, when you go to frequencies on or near those you will hear a simple "CLICK" when you talk in the mic, even on SSB,thats it, your tuned.

Again, its a great tuner.

6. KI4MSJ

KI4MSJ Active Member

I use the Z-100 auto tuner and love it. I run it with my
    IC-706MKIIG

7. skeeterman

skeeterman Supporting Member

I have 2 Z-11 pro's. They work great on the Long Wire. I run them with my 840 and 857.

8. novakor

novakor Active Member

I have the LDG at-200pro autotuner and finally have it in line,so far so good,manual easy to read.hope this helps.

9. rfoverlord

rfoverlord guardian of freedom

:D I use a 200pro also with my ft-847 and the computer as i use supercontrol for it. i love the thing since my only hf ant. is a 120ft. dipole fed with ladder line into a 4:1 balun the last 30 ft. into the shack is coax. It tunes so fast it's noisy at first but once you get the memories programed in. it will be instantaneous tune with just a little click of a relay. had it for about a year now and considering getting one for the ic-7k for field use.

10. rfoverlord

So has anyone used the one for the IC-7K ?

11. Hamin' X

Hamin' X Active Member

I use the Z-11 Pro with my 7000 and the memory tune is so fast that I haven't seen the need for a dedicated control cable.

Rich

12. W5LZ

W5LZ Crotchety Old Bastard

Highlander',
    Just a thought. If you're going to use the thing in the house, why not just a simple (cheaper) manual tuner? Takes a little more time, sure, but they also let you twiddle with knobs (which is half the fun). The power limits also go way up. Not that there's anything wrong with the auto-tuners, there isn't. They do have limits though.
    - 'Doc

13. Captain Kilowatt

Captain Kilowatt Professional Amateur
    Staff Member

I agree with Doc,a manual tuner in the shack is the way to go. I use a yeasu FC-40 auto tuner with an 8 foot whip in the mobile but I would never bother to use one in the shack. I use a Ten-Tec manual tuner with a rebuilt inductor and switch.The original burned up,litterly. It actually caught the plastic toroid housing on fire due to extremely high reactance voltages. :shock: That's what I get for playing around with 4 foot helical antennas on 160m. :LOL: The auto tuners won't even touch an antenna like that one. ;)

14. Highlander_821

Highlander_821 Amour d'Ecosse

Thanks for all the ideas. My cheap side and my lazy side are in conflict over this one. Cheap will probably win....

15. rfoverlord

i still have my mighty fine junk 969 which is what i use when playing with new antennas and at the camp grounds for that random wire up in the trees.