• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

LDG Auto Tuners

TO each, his own! :D For years, I spun dials, read my homemade frequency chart, and fussed over SWR with my Heath 2040! The day I got my LDG AT100 Pro is the day the Heath "retired"! The instant memory, the "ZIP, Yer THERE", made a lazy ham out of me! I LOVE not having to fool with dials, worry with SWR Meter ( SWAN WM3000) in line, and coupled with my Cobra Ultralite (THANKS Joe! ;) ), I am ready from 160 thru 10 Meters, and also from 10 to 20 Meters on the A99). Berate away, Doc! ;) :p

CWM

CWM,
Berate away? Why? You certainly didn't hear me say I don't have an auto-tuner, I do. It's built into my radio. Don't need to use it at home, but it's certainly handy in the car. Don't need it in the house because I do like fiddling with knobs. The manual tuner also handles quite a bit more than the internal tuner will, impedance and power. And if there's something this old Dentron won't tune, it just ain't an antenna...
- 'Doc

okay since doc didn't do it i will. YOU PAID for a wire antenna???? i agree with the manual tuner handling a broader range. but it is nice to key and go. I just built and utralite jr. for camping and i think i will build a senior for the home. I actually have the original article from years ago,(packrat) what happen to articles like that?

rfoverlord,
Okay, I'll 'bite'. What's an "utralite jr.", or 'Sr' for that matter? And rather than 'hi-jack' a thread, would you send a 'PM' (or start another thread, if anyone else is interested)?
- 'Doc

(Wasn't gonna say anything about buying wire antennas. Can't honestly say I haven't, it just offends my sense of 'cheapness'.)

I like the idea of an autotuner for mobile (if you can't run a screwdriver) but a manual for base. I use an Ameritron ATR-30 in the house. It's not too expensive, and will handle 3KW (just in case the fcc ever gives us mo' powa :) )

rfoverlord said:
okay since doc didn't do it i will. YOU PAID for a wire antenna???? i agree with the manual tuner handling a broader range. but it is nice to key and go. I just built and utralite jr. for camping and i think i will build a senior for the home. I actually have the original article from years ago,(packrat) what happen to articles like that?

Yup. In 40 years I've built more wire antennas than you can count! Personal situation at the time dictated the quick & easy solution (family illness).

Doc, I was just yankin' on ya a little. ;)

CWM

CW you are probably right about that. as i am just that old but i still enjoy making my own may they are better than what i had or not, it's still fun and educational. and i was just razzin you, see ya on the bands 73 :p :p :p

Yup. In 40 years I've built more wire antennas than you can count! Personal situation at the time dictated the quick & easy solution (family illness).

CW you are probably right about that. as i am just that old but i still enjoy making my own may they are better than what i had or not, it's still fun and educational. and i was just razzin you, see ya on the bands 73 :p :p :p
[/quote
]

I love makin' wire antennas (and mobile antennas as well). It's part of the hobby! At the time I bought the Cobra Ultralite, I was dealing with an elderly parent at home (92 years), and some issues with real estate. I wanted 160 Meters as well, and I didn't have room. I needed something I could whip up there pretty quick. And I had some requirements outside Amateur Radio to consider, too. So it ended up being the www.k1jek.com Ultalite Senior and the LDG autotuner. I found them to be an amazing combination!~

Now, Dad passed last fall, and I have all the time in the world to put up antennas. But I would trade that for Pop!

CWM

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated