• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

leave it up or take it down

Just watched a little video from Tampa. A girl got stuck in the mud walking around in ditch with the negative 6 ft surge they are experiencing...
I guess people don't realize how serious this can be.

Reactions: Rwb
Yesterday evening I heard alot of traffic out of FL, and many were talking about taking their higher profile antennas down. Others were leaving them up. They all have been coming in best in the evenings. Hope to hear many on this evening! That would at least mean they are well enough to shoot skip. That would be a good thing. I wish you all the best over there.

well it's 5.06 am here is poinciana which is part of Kissimmee closer to haine city it was mostly wind and rain squalls never lost power then again our power wires are underground but after all, thank god for minute damage my street is flooded

Reactions: Rwb and codeman
Hearing lots of reports of flooding up in Seminole county. Lots of downed power lines in Orange, Seminole and Osceola counties (metro Orlando) courtesy of trees and/or limbs that were not trimmed or pruned prior to hurricane season.

I watched a vid of the NOAA plane that flys into these things in this one.
Crazy crazy.

Jeff
It's not that scary from the inside looking out and not nearly as rough as you might think. Roughest was when shaking the hung up landing gear out of the wheel wells. Scariest was crabbing in on landing, with two engines out on one side with near 30kt crosswind gusts. >2700 flt hrs over my years, 53rd WRS.

Last edited:
There was one other scary occasion. History was nearly written; the first WC-130 lost in a storm.

When surface winds cannot be estimated at normal flight level due to cloud coverage below it was allowable to descend to as low as 700'MSL.
At such low levels my job was more or less limited to holding a coffee cup, scanning out the windows while standing next to flight engineer, on the flight deck; maybe with a foot up on the center console. I was seeing what appeared to be increasing wave heights and brought it to the crews attention, over intercom. Some quick looks and all returned to their normal modes. A few moments later I tapped the engineer and hollered in his ear, the waves are getting bigger! He looked out the windows then around the pilot's shoulder and booted the pilot's arm off the arm-rest while shouting over the IC, "take us up, take us up"!

It was 1st storm mission, in the left seat, for recently promoted Captain who maintained pressure altimeter flight instead of switching to radar altimeter. You can guess the moral of the story; it's opposite of compliance with flight regulations.
The pilot was politically connected, thus history was never recorded; though he was transferred shortly thereafter .

There was another occasion, unauthorized flight into Cuban Airspace; but, that's for another time.

Last edited:
There was one other scary occasion. History was nearly written; the first WC-130 lost in a storm.

When surface winds cannot be estimated at normal flight level due to cloud coverage below it was allowable to descend to as low as 700'MSL.
At such low levels my job was more or less limited to holding a coffee cup, scanning out the windows while standing next to flight engineer, on the flight deck; maybe with a foot up on the center console. I was seeing what appeared to be increasing wave heights and brought it to the crews attention, over intercom. Some quick looks and all returned to their normal modes. A few moments later I tapped the engineer and hollered in his ear, the waves are getting bigger! He looked out the windows then around the pilot's shoulder and booted the pilot's arm off the arm-rest while shouting over the IC, "take us up, take us up"!

It was 1st storm mission, in the left seat, for recently promoted Captain who maintained pressure altimeter flight instead of switching to radar altimeter. You can guess the moral of the story; it's opposite of compliance with flight regulations.
The pilot was politically connected, thus history was never recorded; though he was transferred shortly thereafter .

There was another occasion, unauthorized flight into Cuban Airspace; but, that's for another time.
High to Low, lookout below.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated