• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Legals

C2

Aug 3, 2005
I was wondering if a tech can transmit to a 2m repeater that does crossband down to 10m?

yes sir, as long as the repeater control operator has a general or extra class. for some reason a tech with endorcment is not enough.

you have nothing to worry about. we have 1 that crossbands to 10m, and and a total of about 10 the crossband lsac to either 900mhz, 6m, or 70cm. i really dont find them to usefull as its all just 1 way transmissions as you cannot talk back.

O, well the way I was envisioning it was the tech would tx on 2m to the repeater and the repeater would repeat on 10m. then the gen would tx on 10m and the repeater would repeat on 2m back to the tech. and the repeater is up on a mountain.

So who is the control operator for the repeater? I think it depends on who is txing and that means the tech is no good but the general is OK, aside from the FM thing? i guess there are allocations for 10m FM? Or maybe the repeater modulates 10m AM, does that sound crazy?

Here's another twist on the same subject. On echolink there have been links to 10 meter repeaters. Can a Tech on echolink get on the repeater link ?

oh that is just a gentlemans agreement. It's not actual law...

I git tired of the ARRL. Their plan has serious flaws.

Eventually with echostink and with NRC there will be no more public amature radio.

I think I found the answer on a Ham forum-

This depends.. as long as the user has permissions on the portion that he connects to it is legal. For example:

Let us say echolink node a is a 2 meter repeater and echolink node b is a 10 meter repeater and both are linked either via RF or echolink. A technician class license holder may connect to echolink node a and converse. This is because he is connecting to the repeater that his license permits him to. The fact that the repeater he is connected to happens to be linked to an HF repeater is of no concern.

To answer his question:

As a technician class license operator you have permission to all modes and all frequencies above 30 mhz. 70cm is well above 30 mhz so you have the ability to connect to it. I would say that 70% or more of echolink users hold a technician class license. HF echolink nodes are scarse in comparison to the other stations. You can use echolink freely and connect to any repeater that operates above 30 mhz. You may also connect to other PC nodes as well.

Here is another situation:

My girlfriend is a technician and I am a general. If she is at home on the computer and I am driving around mobile useing the 10 meter band. I can bring up a 10 meter echolink repeater and type in her echolink ID and connect to her. We can then converse as we would normally eventhough it is on the 10 meter band and she does not have 10 meter privileges. This is because I initiated the connection and I hold a general class license with permissions on the 10m band. I am in essence the control operator at that time.
http://www.hamforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=4255

And Part 97-

[97.205a] Under what circumstances may a 10-meter repeater retransmit the 2-meter signal from a station having a Technician Class control operator? D. Only if the 10-meter control operator holds at least a General class license G1E03

C2 wrote:
oh that is just a gentlemans agreement. It's not actual law...

Are you sure i thought a bandplan or frequencie allocation was set forth by FCC..........maybe i'm wrong but if a nocode tech is operating on 20 meters wouldn't they be operating out of band.....thus breaking the law.

Nothing says the ARRL bandplan does not heavily overlap part 97...law!

For example, the ARRL band plan says that 144.2 to 144.275 is for general SSB. So what if I used FM?

One thing that gits me is the 23cm ATV plan. Someone explain to me? Upper UHF ATV is most likely going to be FM and it is going to have audio carriers at 6MHz or 6.5 MHz offsets making the required bandwidth greater than what they have allocated.

Just look at how the 13cm ATV band plan differs.

Makes no sense.

Now I git to butcher out the audio carriers or go to 13cm ATV.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.