• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

License not in database

I'm not an expert on getting a vanity call.

Best I remember the easy way is to get one that has been unassigned for enough years.

Haven't visited a vanity-call "how-to" web site for years. Gotta figure some of them are out there. They should better explain where to start.

Any unused call is a candidate for a vanity issue.

The call must be unused for 2 years and 1 day before vanity applications will be accepted.

What if someone croaks and still has 9 years left on license span? Can you send proof of said croaking and shorten that time?
I just helped a friend who just got licensed obtain his deceased Uncle's call sign.

You HAVE to be a relative and submit a active call sign cancellation first with proof from a death certificate copy or dated obit. After that call is cancelled, then you do a vanity call request using that call and it will be granted to you.

You can have a deceased relative's call sign cancelled at any time during their active tenure and grace period.

One exception, you don't have to be the same operating class as the deceased, but if he has a 1 x 2 call, a Tech can't obtain it.

There are 4 groups of call sign formats and your operating class will determine which call sign formats you can choose from. If you're an Extra class all formats are available to you. Advanced, Generals, and Techs vary.

This is true for all vanity requests.

If not a relative per FCC guidelines, then you have to wait till that license expires(12 years from the last renewal or grant date) and shows up as available for harvesting. Remember, a call sign has a 10 year expiration with a 2 year grace period.

Last edited:
I didn't read the first post but that call should be available when the grace period expired and not in the database.

You can use this link to easily to apply for it. This will also explain the call sign groupings for your class of license.

https://www.w5yi.org/ssl/vanity_form.php

When I type his old call in, It doesn't show anything for it. Does that mean it was cancelled at some point? It's K8ZBQ

I used ae7q.com when I researched and during application of my vanity. I just got a 2x2 but it's much better than my previous 2x3.

One day when a decent K9 1x2 becomes available I'll jump in the fire with the other hundred dudes and apply for a new vanity..

I used ae7q.com when I researched and during application of my vanity. I just got a 2x2 but it's much better than my previous 2x3.

One day when a decent K9 1x2 becomes available I'll jump in the fire with the other hundred dudes and apply for a new vanity..

I'd like to to have a 1x2, but aren't they hard to get?

All 1x2's and most 2x1's are luck of the draw. The more apps the less your chance. The good ones with either double (same) letters or the strong phonetic or strong cw weighted ones are the hardest...

The one good thing about the aging ham community is it give the younger extras a chance to eventually snag a good vanity.

Reactions: Mudfoot
Almost next to impossible. There's probably Hams checking those sites daily just waiting for those to come up then it's a bit of a lottery with many requests for them.

Your best chance is a deceased family member with an active call which I explained previously how to get it or a Ham buddy who recently passed and has an active call that wasn't publicly listed as a silent key so you"ll know when his call expires so you can jump on it right away.

Reactions: Mudfoot

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.