• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Base lightning antennas l4+ quad

21AT555

Sep 16, 2020
JO87ea
Hej allihopa. Jag heter Janne från Sverige, 21AT555. Jag undrar om någon har den här antennen på marken just nu eller kanske har avstånden mellan alla element och plasthållarna för ledningarna? tack på förhand och bra DX-ing. Hoppas att träffas på bandet. 73 Janne

giving a little help,,,
Hello everyone. My name is Janne from Sweden, 21AT555. I wonder if anyone has this antenna on the ground right now or maybe has the distances between all the elements and the plastic holders for the wires?

MS, here are the wire dimensions I have from 2 radio buddies for the Signal Engineering antennas. Can't be sure these lengths are the same with the New Owner, Lightning Antennas.

If you need to look closer at these numbers written with a pencil long ago...then use the PDF Zoom feature at the top of the screen (+ -).

Attachments

• Signal Engineering L-4 +.pdf
    775.2 KB · Views: 67
Thank you very much Marconi I will study this pdf tomorrow very carfully. 73 21at555 /Janne

Just remember this Company has sold since these dimensions were used on the L4 or the L+4, but my notes are from two guys I tend to trust for dimensions.

BTW, both gave up on trying to keep their L4+ and L6 and L8 in the air. They both claim weak designs. They both will also tell you they worked very well when setup correctly for match.

Last edited:
giving a little help,,,
Hello everyone. My name is Janne from Sweden, 21AT555. I wonder if anyone has this antenna on the ground right now or maybe has the distances between all the elements and the plastic holders for the wires?

Janne, the element spacing I show on my link above is on the left side of the page for the Old Manual. If you have trouble reading this, use the PDF file Zoom feature at the top of the page. I also show the overall boom length including the space allowed in the instructions for the end sections.

Click the ( - +) keys.

The plastic holders are spaced out in the New Lightning.Antennas manual on the bottom of page 7, in my manual. I think both manuals show the similar details in a different format. But :unsure::unsure::unsure:

The first holder shows to start 4" inches from the driven element at the brass rod start of the matching wire. These holders are not considered as critical as to position, they just support the wires and tension the wires along the boom and on the FG support elements.

Page #8 shows the proper 45* degree position for these holder relative to the boom and the FG elements.

If you don't have the manuals either one, let me know and I will post it for you here on WWDX.

Reactions: murdog
Thank you for info, Marconi. My plan is to build one of theese antennas myself. I bought the hole cable package with the 5 plastic holders and his manual (it doesn´t say anything about the distances between the elements), but not the hole antenna. The shipping cost will be to high from US to Sweden. I have built one quad and i used snowsticks as elements :). They are pretty rough but not so heavy. But my own is not dual polarized, and it is what i want. / Janne

Attachments

• IMG_1092.JPG
    IMG_1092.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 37
Hi Mudfoot. Tnx for responding. Yes i know he´s a nice guy. I was mailing him but he would not give me the measures. Now i have get the help and info as you can see in this thread. So now i´m only waiting for the sun to shine so i can be outside and continue with this project. (y)

Hi Mudfoot. Tnx for responding. Yes i know he´s a nice guy. I was mailing him but he would not give me the measures. Now i have get the help and info as you can see in this thread. So now i´m only waiting for the sun to shine so i can be outside and continue with this project. (y)

555, back when Tony owned Signal Engineering, it was reported that SE would not give their old customers, with the L4+,and higher, the lengths for the wires...even if only 1 wire broke.

If you were lucky maybe you might have been able to order a new set or a single wire.

This is why I asked 2 buddies to carefully measure their antenna wire dimensions, and also asked if they stretched the wires or not?

So, jf you did not measure and record the wire dimensions for your new Lightning antenna...then you could only order a new set possibly, and if not...then tough luck. The tech guy named Larry, I talked to a few times did help a few folks with such problems however.

That said, both were real nice guys.

Marconi. The length of the spreaders are not the problem, i bought the hole wire set, so from there i could figure it out . It´s the distances between the spreaders i am a little confused over. But i will start with the pdf you so kindly handed over to me. Tnx /Janne

555 you're right, no spacing for the space between radials. That is because the kit comes fixed as to spacing for the boom and the positions for the FG poles.

The problem you could have in your build...is all the little dimensions that you will find in the matching device layout. Slim to no chance nobody will tell you about those dimensions.The matcher is big and long with lots of bends and turns. and every dimension is relative to the others. It's like looking to tune a Grand Piano.

I'm trying to model this monster again, and this time I am trying to add the physical matching device to the model...and it's not easy.

I want to see if voltage feeding proves to make any better performance.

BTW, did you get the short wire, the 1/4 wave that stabolizes the tuning area for the driven element? It looks to me like that simple wire may be essential...like the corner stone of a large structure.

Last edited:
Hi again Marconi. Yes, I got all the copper wires that belong to the antenna. Well you are absolutely right that all the spreaders' distances are fixed on the boom. I was just wondering if anyone had such an antenna down and could measure the distance between the holes. I understand very well that the company does not want to publish the full dimensions of its antenna. No shadow shall fall on them. The guy I emailed was very nice and accommodating besides this with the measurements between the spreaders ... Haha :). But right now the project is on ice because we have what is called winter, ie. rain, rain and more rain and windy and about 3-6 plus degrees. Then it is not so fun to be out and work with such a large antenna.

Time to make plans and get the details for the antenna in mind.

I assume you are wanting to make a duplicate of the L4 with matching, right?

I noticed you have, what looks me like a coaxial choke at the driven element feed point area. I assume you are direct feeding at 3:00 or 9:00 o'clock using a small insulator out there at the end of the wires, and again, that looks to be feeding the conventional quad vertically, right? See page #9, of the old instructions from Signal Engineering.

The SE or LA's quads are voltage fed, and in that same position...the L4 would be feeding it for horizontal polarity.

Does that idea work?

If so, then work it as much as you can so you have plenty of experience using the antenna as a conventional Vertical quad.

I'm just guessing here.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.