• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Line conditioner or surge protection strip

D. koenig

Nov 28, 2021
Hi everyone, was wondering if anyone uses either a line conditioner or just a surge protection strip with your equipment. I was thinking of getting a Tripplite 1200 line conditioner. Opinions? Suggestions?? Thank you

Reactions: TIN_CAN

For using in your station good surge protectors will work well. I had used surge protector, UPS with sine wave regulation on computer server equipment in the past. The 1200w line conditioner is a bit much, but if you are building your dream setup then pull the trigger on it if you want it.

Hi everyone, was wondering if anyone uses either a line conditioner or just a surge protection strip with your equipment. I was thinking of getting a Tripplite 1200 line conditioner. Opinions? Suggestions?? Thank you

Some will say Yay and other will say Nay! I dont have any experience with the Tripplite, but why not have clean AC going into your equipment, I run a Furutech e-TP60 conditioner and am very pleased with it.

20220118-142058.jpg

For using in your station good surge protectors will work well. I had used surge protector, UPS with sine wave regulation on computer server equipment in the past. The 1200w line conditioner is a bit much, but if you are building your dream setup then pull the trigger on it if you want it.
Thanks for the reply. Well I'm using a galaxy 98vhp for the base along with a 150amp 15.0. Volt power supply running an 8 pill so I wasn't sure if the surge strip would really do much good or go with a conditioner.

Reactions: secret squirrel
with that much power go with the line conditioner, or whole house surge protection on your breaker box. I have looked at that in the past. I believe that your thinking is correct to have the protection and be safer.

Reactions: Crawdad
The whole house surge protector at the breaker box is the way to go. Most lightening damage comes thru the power coming into the house. Very seldom in most cases is it a direct strike to the antenna.

Reactions: Crawdad
I had the Power Company install a Transient Voltage Suppressor. This installs right at the meter base.
I had a "strike" near the house on the main line running down this street years ago, this took out TVs, frig/freezer's, lamps, computers about everything. Neighbors had same issues. The lightning hit the ground wire on top of the service line running down the street.
This was the second time I had lost household equipment.
Been the best $400 USD ever spent for home protection. They service(test) it every other year or so. They also make upgrades to it as required. (Small like $5.00-month service fee, plus adds like $15K insurance also)
I am sure it has stopped loss several times.
I had a drunk hit the power pole and took it down, transformer and all. This caused the underground lines leading to the house to burn up!!
No damage to home.
I have a pretty extensive grounding system for my radio bench, antenna systems etc.
I have taken a direct hit before plus several "near misses" and been fortunate to not lose any gear in my shack.

NOTHING is fool proof but, but it will pay off over time to follow some simple protection rules, to help safeguard your equipment and home.

I have surge feeding my computer and radios, I have an APC 15 power conditioner for my TV and stereo equipment.
I recently added this at the breaker panel for whole house protection. Pricey, but not as much as replacing what I have in the house that has electronics. Perfect Power box from Satic. There's quite a bit more on their web page.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated