1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

Base Long wire antenna for cb?

Discussion in 'CB Antennas' started by Tweetybird, Nov 9, 2019.

1. BJ radionut

BJ radionut Supporting Member and 6m addict

Marconi: Most generally the nulls and lobes occur when operating the antenna on other bands. EX.: 40 meter tuned Inverted "L" will show a completely different radiation pattern when operated on 20/15/10 meters.
    Use the 160-meter antenna then model it for operation on other bands and watch how the pattern changes.
    My "Phased" Dipole array (W8JK/Lazy H variant) is cut for 80 meters, but when using on other bands will certainly show a much different radiation pattern on say 20 meters.
    Just my thoughts. I am not confirming or denying M0GVZ statements.
    I just know from that one antenna I use, from personal experience that there are some lobes on other bands that can experience some gain and nulls also when operated on different bands.
    All the Best
    Gary
    w8jk1.gif
    I would be interested to see this modeled. The antenna is 125 feet wide (62.5 ft each side) with 34 ft. spacing with an average height above ground 40 ft.
    The antenna is resonant 200 Ohms/ X=0 at 3.865 MHZ, then fed with 300 Ohm feedline tuned with a PALSTAR BT1500A balanced line tuner.
    Be interesting to see the radiation pattern say on 40/20/17 meters.
    The antenna is oriented broadside East/West.

2. Marconi

Marconi Usually if I can hear em' I can talk to em'.

I can't confirm M0GVZ's results either, but I wanted to see the model he referred to. I just looked up what the ARRL AHB had to say about an Inverted L antenna setup, and I posted it only as an example. Had the article not shown the modeling patterns and the antenna details it did...I would not have posted to this thread at all.

Since there was a claim for some modeling that demonstrated how the M0GVZ antenna worked in the situation sited...I would simply like to see it.

I'm a CB'er from Missouri - "So Show Me"

#77 Marconi, Nov 14, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
  3. Tweetybird

Tweetybird Active Member

Mine is 180' long hooked only to a Lafayette he 80 reciever.picks up better than the starduster. Its center fed into two 90' wires with a 45' ladder line spaced 4" apart

Shadetree Mechanic and binrat like this.
  4. Tweetybird

Tweetybird Active Member

Wife is having a cow about wire across the yard. I guess I can buy a regular antenna for 10 to 80 meters. She gets coal for Christmas.what recommendations anyone has that is straight up and down even a beam would be ok.

5. Tweetybird

Tweetybird Active Member

I can coil the wire antenna and give it to her

6. Tweetybird

Tweetybird Active Member

In a box all wrapped up real nice.

7. Tweetybird

Tweetybird Active Member

Can I I
    Loop the ladder feed line and use it?

8. Tweetybird

Tweetybird Active Member

Like a cushcraft mx6b multiband beam

9. M0GVZ

M0GVZ Sr. Member

Read L.E.Cebik's article "Straightening the inverted L."

If I can find my EZNEC models I'll put them online for you.

Now I'm more awake the 20dBs were nulls, not gain. Gain is typically 6-10dB in some of the lobes.

10. Marconi

Conor, thanks for the update.

Here is a link to Cebik's 26 page article.

L.E.Cebik's article "Straightening the inverted L

Here is a link to what you posted earlier about 20db gain.

Long wire antenna for cb?

#85 Marconi, Nov 16, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
  11. Marconi

Gary, I doubt I could successfully model this antenna idea. I have no idea how to model a balanced feed line using Eznec, and I think that is probably essential to the idea. I would also think there are plenty Amateur members in the Amateur Section...that can make antenna models and show you some real results.

There appears to be plenty of Hams on the Internet and on YouTube, in particular, that could possibly help with your modeling idea as well.

12. Tweetybird

Tweetybird Active Member

I put it back up.

13. Robert Buttle

Robert Buttle Member

I have a loop sky wire ant. we use it portable.I made it two waves long at 11m.We feed it with 50 ohm coax and a 4 to1 balun it is a good ant. and not noisy on receive. Needs no coupler on some of the ham bands to 40m. And is dead flat on 11m we've been using it on tent poles about eight feet off the ground, the antenna is in a triangle shape and fed near one corner, hope this is useful.