• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Base Long wire antenna for cb?

Reactions: Tweetybird
The easy way to make a random, longish wire antenna work on 11M:
1. Connect coax from the radio to the feedpoint of the antenna, center conductor of the coax to the antenna wire.
2. Connect the braid of the coax to a piece of wire about 109 inches long.
3. Run the main antenna wire as high as possible and as straight as possible. If the wire is more than 30-40 feet long, try to run it in a direction generally towards where you want the signal to go.
4. Check swr. Trim the main wire an inch or so at a time until you get the swr where you want it. When you reach a point that is an odd multiple of quarter waves, the swr will drop.

Some kind of balun at the feedpoint would be a good idea.
I have a theory that I haven't proven (yet) that multiples of a half wave in the feedline (taking velocity factor into account) will help prevent feedline radiation by presenting a high impedance on the outside of the braid.
Like I said, not proven. Just something that occurred to me.

Thx. Direct to act upon.
Will help the following speech (“Circumstance isn’t Limitation”):

I picture giving my son (now age 37; USMC & Yale; recently-married) a spool of wire and saying, “Here, no reason you can’t talk across the county with this”.

While he’s long wise to my attempts to set him up (the picture drawn somehow doesn’t quite fit the words given for description) I’ll be including bare wire as well as some smallish antenna that’ll both fit in the radio transport case. A quite nice AM/SSB radio with gear enclosed. A gift.

(His experience in the worlds of the tangible — and of the intangible — is now formidable. But they’re still separate intellectually. While that can be argued, still, I see what I see as said here).

Hand a man a fish, and the days dinner is done. But give him the tools to fish, . . . . So — will the aethereal waves dancing around us — cause a spark where tangible/intangible meet (is an old man’s hope)?

Radio is at the heart of the Universes’ mystery.
Sight is too narrow.
Hearing, is planet-bound.

Wave, or particle? Which will it be?
Imagination must come to the fore.

These days, 37 is the new 17. But the Science Kit experiments and explosions are not only self-funded, they occur well away from Dads garage. In fact, it’s sorta like grandkids. You get weary, you head home. The project is at his place.

What’s the point to being a man without hands engaged in that which may never end?

One’s turn at the rudder.
The sea, beckons.

(Waited forever to get loaded today. So CB Antenna threads were great to read. Thx to all).

Thx. Direct to act upon.
Will help the following speech (“Circumstance isn’t Limitation”):

I picture giving my son (now age 37; USMC & Yale; recently-married) a spool of wire and saying, “Here, no reason you can’t talk across the county with this”.

While he’s long wise to my attempts to set him up (the picture drawn somehow doesn’t quite fit the words given for description) I’ll be including bare wire as well as some smallish antenna that’ll both fit in the radio transport case. A quite nice AM/SSB radio with gear enclosed. A gift.

(His experience in the worlds of the tangible — and of the intangible — is now formidable. But they’re still separate intellectually. While that can be argued, still, I see what I see as said here).

Hand a man a fish, and the days dinner is done. But give him the tools to fish, . . . . So — will the aethereal waves dancing around us — cause a spark where tangible/intangible meet (is an old man’s hope)?

Radio is at the heart of the Universes’ mystery.
Sight is too narrow.
Hearing, is planet-bound.

Wave, or particle? Which will it be?
Imagination must come to the fore.

These days, 37 is the new 17. But the Science Kit experiments and explosions are not only self-funded, they occur well away from Dads garage. In fact, it’s sorta like grandkids. You get weary, you head home. The project is at his place.

What’s the point to being a man without hands engaged in that which may never end?

One’s turn at the rudder.
The sea, beckons.

(Waited forever to get loaded today. So CB Antenna threads were great to read. Thx to all).

Off topic, but it sounds like you did a great job raising your son. Congrats!

Off topic, but it sounds like you did a great job raising your son. Congrats!

Ha! Thx. Might be other way around as I keep having to reach farther and farther. Grasp has hit outer limits. I’ll claim having added a spice mixture (music). The rest was always his.

It might be (per my gift, thus my post) — summed — as having something to say. Form, (and content), for the listeners ear.
Here is a tangible toolbox to go with the intangible one already in hand.

This latest world feigns disinterest in Man’s having a say, first,
and actively censors, second.

But that is circumstance. Not a limit.

So, with no more than a spool of bare wire
can the voice both reach beyond earshot
AND carry the desired import?

“Radio”. Crosses galaxies.
On a not-quite-ending series of levels, it shines.
Parallel constructions of tangible & intangible are suggested, here.
The Word, made resonant. On frequency.
Heard, or Said.

His world, after all. Not ours.
Language. His great gift.

A thousand years of civilization now riding on it.
This spool of bare wire.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.