• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Looking for a book

Thestonerguy

Apr 3, 2005
Texas
www.cbgazette.com
I know it's a long shot, but...Back in the late 60's while visiting my grandparents in Maine I was perusing the bookcase upstairs and there was a book (fiction) about a kid whose dad was the town's basketball coach and the kid just wasn't into basketball, but found an interest in ham radio. Think it took place in an earlier decade as he scrimped and mowed lawns to buy parts for his cw transmitter, etc. and in the end, his Ham Radio abilities work out in helping the basketball team. No great literary piece of work, but if someone remembers the title, I can probably find it on Amazon for nostalgia reasons. Tnx.

If it is the book I'm thinking of it is titled "Today, I am a Ham".I picked it up at a used book sale.If you end up buying it let me now how it ends,the last chapter was missing in the copy I bought.

73 Carmen

Wow it must be a great book,it has a five star rating all over the net.Go to amazon or alibris and type in "Today i am a ham" by Ethelyn M. Parkinson. I just might have to pick up a copy for myself.
73,Stu

IMD262 said:
If it is the book I'm thinking of it is titled "Today, I am a Ham".I picked it up at a used book sale.If you end up buying it let me now how it ends,the last chapter was missing in the copy I bought.

73 Carmen

Hmmm, it sure sounds very close to what I remember. If I recall correctly, he developed a knack for running pretty darn fast as he did all kinds of jobs to get enough money to build his set. He was befriended by a radio/tv repair shop owner who took him under his wing. I think I'll buy one just make sure it's the book (even if it's not, it sounds real close). Thanks guys, and if you remember another title please let me know -
Woody

Thestonerguy said:
IMD262 said:

73 Carmen

Hmmm, it sure sounds very close to what I remember. If I recall correctly, he developed a knack for running pretty darn fast as he did all kinds of jobs to get enough money to build his set. He was befriended by a radio/tv repair shop owner who took him under his wing. I think I'll buy one just make sure it's the book (even if it's not, it sounds real close). Thanks guys, and if you remember another title please let me know -
Woody

I don't remember very much of the plot, it has been 25+ years since I read the book.The part I remember most is when his family would get mad when his friends would drive up to his house and use thier car horn to send thier callsign in code.
Back in the CB craze of the 70's there were a couple of books
aimed towards kids with a CB based plot.I read 2 or 3 of them but can not remember the titles or the plot.Does anyone recall these???

73 Carmen

Thanks Guys!!

I ordered "Today I am a HAM" and it arrived here at work this afternoon. Although the bookcover itself didn't look familiar, I skimmed through some of it and I'm 99% positive that this is the book! I'll have to wait until tomorrow night to read it, so it's like the day before Christmas right now.....

Regards,
Woody

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.