• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Looking for a good portable shortwave receiver

thumbs1

Dec 28, 2019
I know just enough to be able to search the daytime and night bands. Thats just about it. I bought an Eton Elite Executive radio. I got it about two weeks ago but the tuner is showing signs of a problem. When I "click" to the next frequency, especially using the slow tuning, there is a lag at times between when I click and the actual tuning of the station. It is happening more often as time goes by. I am afraid I am going to have to return the radio. Which brings me to the actual question.

I am to under stand Eton makes pretty good receivers. Since I have to return the radio is there another portable receiver you guys would recommend? I have no problem getting another of the same radio and am willing to say I just got a bad tuner but what are the thoughts? Should I stay with the Eton or is there another brand that has a good track record? The Eton has a lot to offer but I want reliability and a sensitive receiver. I understand I will do better with a bit of wire to any receiver. I use
on the Eton now.

thanks for the help

Last edited:
Reactions: Rwb

Looks like dual speakers. That's what I like about my 880. It doesn't have dual speakers, but the audio quality is very nice. I listen my 880 frequently and take it with me often. I'll likely pick one of these up and leave the 880 in the car.

The 880 is one of the best portables I've owned. The 18650 battery provides long life.

Looks like dual speakers. That's what I like about my 880. It doesn't have dual speakers, but the audio quality is very nice. I listen my 880 frequently and take it with me often. I'll likely pick one of these up and leave the 880 in the car.

The 880 is one of the best portables I've owned. The 18650 battery provides long life.
Mudfoot, there are two radios there - the 990 has a single speaker. The 510 is the dual speaker... they both have a sync circuit. Can't wait read the reviews!

Reactions: Rwb
I have a Realistic DX=440 that I keep connected to a long wire in my shack & it does just fine for my desires of listening to an Atlanta Braves Game here in North Florida when I can't find them on my Amazon FireTV Stick.

SIX-SHOOTER

Reactions: Rwb and Riverman
Im stuck with my beloved pl 880. But im waiting to hear how that 990 is.got to stand up tall to beat a 880

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.