• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Looking for a possible tabletop receiver

Matthew Lawson

Jul 18, 2020
Hi, I'm fairly new to shortwave listening, having a CCrane Skywave SSB radio only and I'm thinking about purchasing an Alinco DX-R8T.

A few questions.

First of all, what is your experience with its performance? Does it perform well? Would it perform well in a electrically noisy room with a good antenna outside?

What type of connector connects to the antenna jack? What is it called?

What type/brand of antenna would you recommend for it and for easy install? Would it require power or grounding?

What if a high vertical antenna is not an option?

Could you use the MLA-38 loop antenna with it?

Thank you for your help! I'm fairly new to this, so I have alot of questions! Take care.

- Matthew Lawson

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

Thank you, Gary!

I looked through your links. Could you explain the links to me? Is dxengineering.com where you would buy one?

What about the palstar? I like the price of the Alinco.

What about the quickstart and kv5r links?

Hi, I'm fairly new to shortwave listening, having a CCrane Skywave SSB radio only and I'm thinking about purchasing an Alinco DX-R8T.

A few questions.

First of all, what is your experience with its performance? Does it perform well? Would it perform well in a electrically noisy room with a good antenna outside?

What type of connector connects to the antenna jack? What is it called?

What type/brand of antenna would you recommend for it and for easy install? Would it require power or grounding?

What if a high vertical antenna is not an option?

Could you use the MLA-38 loop antenna with it?

Thank you for your help! I'm fairly new to this, so I have alot of questions! Take care.

- Matthew Lawson
Welcome! You found the right place. Lots of smart people here who are willing to share their knowledge. I have learned a lot in my short time here.
Chris

Reactions: Justme
Thank you. A few more questions. Does the Alinco DX-R8T I mentioned have FM Broadcast band in the Receiver model? I'd like to listen to FM too. Or is it just the DX-SR8T that has FM.

Also, would you recommend me buy it from Universial Radio or DXEngineering? How about Ham Radio outlet?

Thanks!

Thank you. A few more questions. Does the Alinco DX-R8T I mentioned have FM Broadcast band in the Receiver model? I'd like to listen to FM too. Or is it just the DX-SR8T that has FM.

Also, would you recommend me buy it from Universial Radio or DXEngineering? How about Ham Radio outlet?

Thanks!

I can’t answer the first part. But the second I’d base on likelihood of future purchases.

Just a thought, but if you are going to spend the money for the Alinco DX-R8T receiver only version....

I'd spend a little more and get the Alinco DX-SR8T... same Receiver (covers 135KHz to 30MHz in all modes), but with Transmit capability... if required.... and can be modified open for TX from 1.8Mhz-30Mhz

Last edited:
Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Matthew's question is pretty much mine. Since the Alinco is not available, what else would be a good beginner SW receiver? What about the Eton Elite 750?

I'm looking for world news and entertainment, mostly.

As to antenna, I'd prefer to keep it in the attic; partly a privacy issue, but I do have an HOA, of sorts. I have a 5/8ths wave CB antenna with ground radials in the attic already. How would that work for SW reception? I believe I how an SWR under 1.3 across the CB band.

Matthew's question is pretty much mine. Since the Alinco is not available, what else would be a good beginner SW receiver? What about the Eton Elite 750?

I'm looking for world news and entertainment, mostly.

As to antenna, I'd prefer to keep it in the attic; partly a privacy issue, but I do have an HOA, of sorts. I have a 5/8ths wave CB antenna with ground radials in the attic already. How would that work for SW reception? I believe I how an SWR under 1.3 across the CB band.

A receive antenna doesn't care what the SWR is. You're compromised with that antenna for CB, but connect a good receiver to it and you might be surprised. Remember, if Marconi had worried about whether his antennas would "work", we probably wouldn't have radio as we do today. Experiment!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.