• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Looking for a scope

Nov 2, 2015
I'm in the market for a scope. I have never used one. I'm ready to get one and learn. What's a good one that could be used by a 1st timer?

Looking to see modulation on my radios. I can put an ok tune on my radios but without a scope it's really just by ear and guess. I know a scope is not a fix for modulation but it will sure get me pointed in the right direction.

A local here has a tektronix 465 dual channel 100Mhz. He is not a radio guy, he said it's been refurbished. How is this unit?

Reactions: Tallman

Tektronics makes some of the best oscilloscopes and spectrum analyzers. If you can get it for a price you can afford and it has been calibrated recently it might be a good one. This is the best way I know of to sample your RF safely.
3805-1448937984-adc8d43aa1e65a4a607599c77b29c4ab.jpg

Last edited:
I'm in the market for a scope. I have never used one. I'm ready to get one and learn. What's a good one that could be used by a 1st timer?

Looking to see modulation on my radios. I can put an ok tune on my radios but without a scope it's really just by ear and guess. I know a scope is not a fix for modulation but it will sure get me pointed in the right direction.

A local here has a tektronix 465 dual channel 100Mhz. He is not a radio guy, he said it's been refurbished. How is this unit?
Excellent scope, but you'll need a way to sample the RF also. Tons of examples on the net. Or just get an REA if your only reading AM modulation.

Reactions: tecnicoloco
Tektronics makes some of the best oscilloscopes and spectrum analyzers. If you can get it for a price you can afford and it has been calibrated recently it might be a good one. This is the best way I know of to sample your RF safely.
3805-1448937984-adc8d43aa1e65a4a607599c77b29c4ab.jpg

No offense, but that looks like a "Hack" method and opens up to the possibility of shorting something out. Here's a better, yet affordable, way to interface your O-scope with your coax. Purchase the two required end connectors to fit the "T" sampler separately to suit you needs:

https://www.rfparts.com/signal-samplers/rfa4059a1.html

Reactions: tecnicoloco
No offense, but that looks like a "Hack" method and opens up to the possibility of shorting something out. Here's a better, yet affordable, way to interface your O-scope with your coax. Purchase the two required end connectors to fit the "T" sampler separately to suit you needs:

https://www.rfparts.com/signal-samplers/rfa4059a1.html

LOL I was thinking that there certainly better methods but was reluctant to use the word "hack". :whistle: I simply made my own RF sampler by taking a small toroid and winding it with some really small enameled magnet wire. I opened up the case on my dummy load and installed the toroid over the the connection that connects to the coaxial jack on the load. I then mounted a BNC connector in the front of the dummy load case and wired the toroid to it. I made another in a small attenuator case that I gutted the inside of. It already had a male and female BNC connector on it so all I had to do was solder a straight wire connecting them directly passing thru a nother small toroid and installed an extra BNC connector to carry the sampled RF. Works MUCH better thyan scrambled wire over the coax as a toroid ONLY picks up what passes thru the core. Looks better too. :)

...I simply made my own RF sampler by taking a small toroid and winding it with some really small enameled magnet wire. I opened up the case on my dummy load and installed the toroid over the the connection that connects to the coaxial jack on the load.
Same here. Here's how I "hacked" my MFJ949 to sample RF.

2jfdric.jpg

nvs846.jpg

Last edited:
My little "Hack" as you called it has over 5000 volts of isolation and does not significantly change the impedance of the circuit. Call it what you want but all it cost me was a little bit of time and I do believe the isolation is superior to the nicely machined piece that cost almost $40.00.

My little "Hack" as you called it has over 5000 volts of isolation and does not significantly change the impedance of the circuit. Call it what you want but all it cost me was a little bit of time and I do believe the isolation is superior to the nicely machined piece that cost almost $40.00.

Uh-oh......sounds like someone is a bit testy. ;) Of course it has over 5Kv insulation since it is on the outside of the coax and has a grounded braid between it and the RF it is sampling. My point is that it is not as sensitive as a toroid pick-up and as such requires much more wire. It also is prone to picking up RF from any source since it is not in a shielded enclosure and being on the outside of the shield makes it prone to responding to CMC's on the shield which will be stronger than the RF inside the cable whereas a toroid is self shielding and responds only to RF currents traveling thru the core. In my caswe the impedance was not changed at all when installing the toroid over the RF line. Usually what is done is to take a short piece of coax cable and remove a short piece of shield from the middle and install the toroid at that point. That keeps the impedance constant while allowing for good pick-up with great isolation and insulation while limiting stray RF from it. If it is in a shielded enclosure the stray RF is not an issuse.

Not saying there is anything really "wrong" with your way if it works for you as you want it too but just saying that there is a better way to do it and a neater way if you care about appearance like I do. I get pissed when I scratch the case on a piece of gear or strip the heads of the Phillips screws used in cases.

Reactions: 543_Dallas
Don't forget proper termination at the oscilloscope. ;)

I do like Klondike Mike's method. I have a pickup installed in the sensor for my ameritron watt meter. Makes for one less jumper or connection. Mine are just a coil of wire in an enclosure. Nothing too fancy.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.