• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Looking for a small amp to hook up on the 11m base.

highspeed556

Jun 1, 2015
Kentucky
So I'm looking for a small amp to hook up on my 11m base, around the 100-200 watt area. I'll be driving it with a stock (unmolested) Uniden 980SSB, and I'd like to have the ability to do SSB, although I'll be using it for AM as well.

Unless I'm bad off, I've narrowed down to the following options, but I don't know which would be better:

Texas Star D250
TNT T250

I'm not looking for a big power house, just something to help me get a little further when talking local on AM and something I can play with on SSB.

I know the TNT has "automatic" ssb delay, so would that cause me headaches when I'm talking on AM? How long does it take for it to unkey the amp once I unkey the mic?

Also, would I have to modify my radio to lower the standard 4 watt deadkey to work with either of these amps?

Does anyone have any opinions on which would be better for me? Or if anyone has opinions on a better options altogether, I'm all receive.

Get a kl203p, I have ONE used it for a couple of years 80 to 100 watts on am/ssb feeding it with my GALAXY at 1 1/2 watts, cost around $70 dollars from H&Y
DOCTOR/795

Reactions: Mudfoot
Look at the TNT 350hd. It is bias b and will do about 200 watts with the uniden 980 being the driver. Set dead key on am to 2 watts and leave it. Set modulation to 100%. This should allow for a little forward swing on AM. On SSB I would recommend adding either a heat sink or a fan or both or tune the radios power back on SSB to about 8 watts. The transistor used in that radio is weak and will get hot fast! I have one set at 10 watts and it warms up pretty fast still. I may turn my power back some more or add heat sink or fan. Also before you decide on buying an amp, make sure your antenna system is as good as you can possibly get it. A good antenna system is what I would focus on first if you have not done so yet. As far as the TNT 350hd, they are good little amps, and will hold up fine with a uniden 980. And sound good on SSB as well. If you are looking to keep it inexpensive, the KL203P is a good little throw away amp. But you will need to have your radio tuned back on the power to use one correctly from other posts about what the input of them should be and still maintain a clean signal. With the TNT 350hd you can at least use a more powerful radio if you decide to ever upgrade that. And you won't be over driving it with the uniden 980! I used a magnaforce 350HD, almost same amp as the TNT 350hd, with my uniden 980 and it worked very well together. Amp stayed nice and cool. Radio is what would get hot. The back of your radio, right side looking from the front, or opposite side of the power, place your finger there next time you're talking and see how "hot" it gets. They get warm fast! Also I saw about 200 watts or so with the uniden 980 and my amp, and received a lot of compliments on it. Most couldn't beleive what I was running. Clean, clear little radios. These are just my experiences and JMO. Good luck with whatever you choose. And like I said from the get go, make sure your antenna system is as good as it can be before adding any power. Again JMHO. Good day.

If its mint as you say and has the correct 2879 finals then yes 150-175 is a good buy. That said the TnT line is badda$$, the 250 or 350 would rock and they are fan cooled. Your call really.

Reactions: 222DBFL
If I had a guy willing to sell me a "mint" Texas Star 350 HDV for $175, is that a good deal? Or should I still go for the TNT T250?

For a functional TS 350, $175 is a good price. That TS in good working condition will out perform a TNT 250 with 2290 transistors. It's your money, make the right decision the first time.

Reactions: 222DBFL
When you buy the amp, look at the manufacturers specs of the transistors and drive them accordingly

Reactions: Crusher
So I'm looking for a small amp to hook up on my 11m base, around the 100-200 watt area. I'll be driving it with a stock (unmolested) Uniden 980SSB, and I'd like to have the ability to do SSB, although I'll be using it for AM as well.

Unless I'm bad off, I've narrowed down to the following options, but I don't know which would be better:

Texas Star D250
TNT T250

I'm not looking for a big power house, just something to help me get a little further when talking local on AM and something I can play with on SSB.

I know the TNT has "automatic" ssb delay, so would that cause me headaches when I'm talking on AM? How long does it take for it to unkey the amp once I unkey the mic?

Also, would I have to modify my radio to lower the standard 4 watt deadkey to work with either of these amps?

Does anyone have any opinions on which would be better for me? Or if anyone has opinions on a better options altogether, I'm all receive.
You know.......I gotta say....one of the other fellas described the RM amplifiers as the definition of "junk".........however....I have had a KLV 300 P for about 9 years. I use it regularly....and it's never given me a lick of trouble. Even the pre amp still works! As long as you do not over drive it......about a 3 watt dead keay on AM and no more that 15 watts P.E.P. on SSB....it will perform nicely! I've never had any of those bad audio reports you can get off these small transistorized amps like "tight" or "pinched" audio. I've ran it with both a Uniden Washington,(with the extrea channels, of course...) and a Realistic Navaho, using a D104 M6 hand mic, and all I ever hear is how excellent the audio is. Most of the time no one is even aware that I'm running an amp....although most of time when DXing....it's usually a "given". I have a friend who has been running a KL 500 for almost as long....I just never really needed that much on 11 meters, as it would necessitate a larger power supply than my 30 amp Astron. But he also ran his with the Washington for years, and believe me....he's a "big gunn" on the air when DXing! But.....away....they are affordable...reliable...and as far as I'm concerned....and those I talk with...they sound great! Keep in mind I'm using a Maco 4 element beam.....but even on my omni (Imax 2000) I've consistently gotten great reports. In the 50 states....(well....alot of them anyway...)and literally....around the globe.(I've worked 47countries including Austrailia and Japan). Just one mans opinion. The rest is up to you! 73's!

Get a kl203p, I have ONE used it for a couple of years 80 to 100 watts on am/ssb feeding it with my GALAXY at 1 1/2 watts, cost around $70 dollars from H&Y
DOCTOR/795

I'm with you on this one, only I got mine on sale for 49 bucks at H+Y. I run it with a Grant XL and it runs nice and clean on AM and SSB. Can get hot if you get long winded, but you can always add a fan. Never had any problems with it, but I don't try to overdo it.

Brett

How about a Texas Star 500?
Then it'll never get warm.
Better to get too big than not big enough.
I'd rather under drive an amp than overdrive one.

Not a bad thought but he will need a very large power supply to feed that beast. Probably at least a 70 amp.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.